Verified? You've got to be kidding!

azdood

Hello -

I just burned a DVD disc and during the verify process the image buffer shot from 100% to 20% to 100% again and kept up this back and forth frenzy for the entire process with the device buffer kicking in a back and forth of its own now and then. I was sure the disc would get a failing grade, but at the end of it all it said the burn was successful. I wonder how that could be with the buffers going crazy like they did. Doesn't that mean I have trouble with the disc or image file?

I'd appreciate your help with this. I've included the log hoping that might shed some light on this.

Thanks.

David

I 18:14:25 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 18:14:25 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 18:14:25 Total Physical Memory: 523,568 KB - Available: 208,980 KB

I 18:14:25 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:14:25 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:14:25 Found 1 DVD

If ImgBurn said the verify stage was successfull then you can be sure the disc was correctly burnt :)

The buffer getting empty is just a sign that the source image couldn't be read as fast as the disc, and this is nothing to worry about.

Newer burners - like in the last 3 years - have "BURP" - Buffer UnderRun Protection, so that when buffers empty the laser isn't burning and messing up your burn. That said, it is better if the buffers do not empty as it can affect the quality of the burn (as LUK says).

Nevertheless, your burn verified (this is done bit for bit and on an MD5 hash checksum), so the data is there and readable - at least by your DVD drive.

Regards

Open the graph data file in DVDInfoPro so we can see the write/verify speed lines.

How do I do that? I found the DVDInfoPro link in "file" but it said I'd actually have to burn something first. When I searched for the burn file on the burn in question it was empty even though I have "save log" checked. I found that file in C\:, User, IMGBurn Logs.

Thanks.

David

I 18:30:48 Graph Data File: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\Optiarc_DVD_RW_AD-7200A_1.06_THURSDAY-JULY-24-2008_6-15_PM_MCC-004-00_6x.ibg

Open that file. ImgBurn exports the graph data automatically.

To do that you can either load dvdinfopro, click the ibg button and load it or you can just double click the file in question - dvdinfopro should automatically load it (assuming it's registered the .ibg file association properly - you might need to run it once to do that).

Thanks for working with me on this.

I got as far as "user" but "application data" wasn't listed. There was a file for IMGBurn logs, but I emptied that yesterday because the files were ages old. Nothing new as been added to it even though I've burned several discs and have "save log" checked.

I found a "application data" in "all users" but it only have Microsoft/Internet Explorer listed.

Thanks again.

David

I 18:30:48 Graph Data File: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\Optiarc_DVD_RW_AD-7200A_1.06_THURSDAY-JULY-24-2008_6-15_PM_MCC-004-00_6x.ibg

Open that file. ImgBurn exports the graph data automatically.

To do that you can either load dvdinfopro, click the ibg button and load it or you can just double click the file in question - dvdinfopro should automatically load it (assuming it's registered the .ibg file association properly - you might need to run it once to do that).

Here's a attachment of a sceen shot of the data...post-3289-1217028815_thumb.png

Here's a attachment of a sceen shot of the data...

I think you attached the wrong screenshot.

By default Application Data is a hidden folder. If you've never enabled "Show hidden files and folders" in Folder Options > View tab then that's why you can't see it (although it's there). Anyway the quickest way to find the folder is directly from ImgBurn's Help menu > ImgBurn Graph Data...

Your CPU usage is high, that's all.

You're either hitting a wall (speed wise) due to the lack of available CPU cycles or because there's too much I/O going on.

Use Verify mode on one of those new burns but turn off the option to compare against and image file - that way it'll just be your dvd drive doing the work.

When it's done, double click the log entry (in the log window) where it says it's exported the graph data (the one with the file name in it etc). DVDInfoPro will load up automatically and display the IBG file :)

"Use Verify mode on one of those new burns but turn off the option to compare against and image file - that way it'll just be your dvd drive doing the work."

Where do I turn off that option? I looked all over the settings and didn't see it.

Thanks for your help with this.

David

Thanks. I'm learning as I go. Learning to read these graphs is next. Here's what it looks like after I followed Cynthia's advice. It looks a lot different.

Will not verifying against the image file cause any loss of quality to the final disc?

Your help is really appreciated. I am especially grateful now because I just installed a new burner. Thanks again.

post-3289-1217091366_thumb.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.