Help with burning movies and then putting them back to PC

Guardianlion

Hi, I burn TV shows, they are mostly avi. files, that I have download from the internet on to DVD+R discs. They are usually 350mb each, I burn 2 episodes on one disc, because someone told me try not to go over 700mb or so. Let me add that the main reason why I burn shows onto DVDs is because I delete them afterwards so that I can free up space on my PC. My question is why when I burn a movie file(s) it is no more than 700mb, but when I rip them back to my PC it is 3gbs more or less. Why does it so large? Is there a way to burn these movies onto a DVD so that you can still watch them and rip them back to your PC keeping to same qualtiy and same size as you had before you burned it????

Thanks In Advance.

Loco, I think you'll agree that it sounds like they're being converted seeing as how they're approx. 3GB when they're ripped back to the HD.

Guardinalion, unless you're planning on watching them on a standalone DVD Player, there's no need to convert them to DVD-formatted video files. They can (and in your case, should) be burned straight to DVD as AVI files. Just build an image from the folder containing your AVI's; You'll obviously be able to fit a lot more than 2/disc.

Loco, I think you'll agree that it sounds like they're being converted seeing as how they're approx. 3GB when they're ripped back to the HD.

Yes, but I wanted the OP to answer that question so that the process could be made clearer to him/her and then perhaps they would realize where the descrepancy comes into play. As for burning the avi straight to disc without encoding first you must determine that the standalone player will, in fact, play nice with the avi format. :)

Yes, but I wanted the OP to answer that question so that the process could be made clearer to him/her and then perhaps they would realize where the descrepancy comes into play.

Understood! :thumbup:

As for burning the avi straight to disc without encoding first you must determine that the standalone player will, in fact, play nice with the avi format. :)

They never mentioned anything about watching it on a standalone player, so I assumed they just burned the AVI's for archival purposes.

Edited by Flawless115

Well I started using Nero but it wasnt so good then I used ConvertXtoDvd and it works great, so I am currently using ConvertXtoDvd. As for the player I just use my Playstation 2. It would be great to watch the movies as well. :)

Edited by Guardianlion

Hi, I burn TV shows, they are mostly avi. files, that I have download from the internet on to DVD+R discs. They are usually 350mb each, I burn 2 episodes on one disc, because someone told me try not to go over 700mb or so. Let me add that the main reason why I burn shows onto DVDs is because I delete them afterwards so that I can free up space on my PC. My question is why when I burn a movie file(s) it is no more than 700mb, but when I rip them back to my PC it is 3gbs more or less. Why does it so large?

AVI files are highly compressed video files. When you run them through NERO/ConvertXtoDVD, the software decompresses the files, hence the larger size.

Is there a way to burn these movies onto a DVD so that you can still watch them and rip them back to your PC keeping to same qualtiy and same size as you had before you burned it????

Once you've got them where you can watch them on a standalone player (PS2 or otherwise), there really wouldn't be any reason to rip the video back to AVI format unless there's something in particular you wanted to do. :whistling:

I would just stick with what you're doing since it seems that you watch them on a device other than your PC.

I've used SMS and it works great: you can stream the videos from your computer, play from CD/DVD media (if your PS2 is chipped) and also play from USB pendrive :thumbup:

I was gonna suggest this as well as LUK mentioned it ages ago and then guardianlion as Mmalves has said above you can just watch your divx/xvid/mp4/avi straight of the first disc you burnt on your Ps2 if its modded.

Thought maybe your post got lost on Guardianlion

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.