very basic questions about dual layer data DVDs

MMMark

Tues. 08/08/05 16:00 EDT

I've never burned a DVD, but I've finally installed a burner and want to back up some data.

My questions are:

1. Can both layers of a dual layer recordable DVD be used to write data to?

2. If the answer to question 1 is "Yes", can ImgBurn be used to create a dual layer data DVD?

1. Can both layers of a dual layer recordable DVD be used to write data to?

Yes.

2. If the answer to question 1 is "Yes", can ImgBurn be used to create a dual layer data DVD?

Yes. Just use "Build" mode and drag-drop your files into IB, or use the "Browser for a file..." icon.

Jim

Tues. 08/08/05 16:25 EDT

. post #2

Great. I guess the next step is to buy some recordable DVDs. You guys seem to think the Verbatim DVD +R DL 2.4x, with the MKM-001-00 dye, are the ones to get.

Thanks for the quick response, Jim.

Tues. 08/08/05 16:25 EDT

. post #2

Great. I guess the next step is to buy some recordable DVDs. You guys seem to think the Verbatim DVD +R DL 2.4x, with the MKM-001-00 dye, are the ones to get.

Thanks for the quick response, Jim.

yes, preferably the ones made in singapore, and NOT the ones made in india

Wed. 08/08/06 10:28 EDT

. post #4

Okay.

A friend of mine recommends the Verbatim Ultralife Gold Archival Grade DVD-Rs for long-life storage without the layer-destroying oxidation that can creep in after 5 or more years. Kodak, Delkin and Mitsui, to name a few others, also make gold archival media.

The gold archival media seems only to be available in single layer, currently.

volvofl10, your sig advises "FOR Single layer DV5 use genuine Taiyo Yuden media everytime , ONLY TY's and not some other brand with TY dye/ink"; do you have any opinions about the gold archival media?

• 3 weeks later...

Mon. 08/08/25 18:16 EDT

. post #11

I'm ready to try burning my first data DVD; I'll be using the made in Singapore Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x. I want to try overburning, but Imgburn won't let me perform a test write using this media. Does anyone have any idea of what the overburning limits of this media are?

Edited by MMMark

Mon. 08/08/25 18:16 EDT

. post #11

I'm ready to try burning my first data DVD; I'll be using the made in Singapore Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x. I want to try overburning, but Imgburn won't let me perform a test write using this media. Does anyone have any idea of what the overburning limits of this media are?

Have you got more than 7+ gb of data to back up then ? I would steer clear of overburning DL's mate :)

volvofl10, your sig advises "FOR Single layer DV5 use genuine Taiyo Yuden media everytime , ONLY TY's and not some other brand with TY dye/ink"; do you have any opinions about the gold archival media?

sorry, ive only just seen this.

i dont know of the 'gold archival ' ones you mention. there not a brand Ive seen in the UK

Mon. 08/08/25 20:40 EDT

. post #12

I would steer clear of overburning DL's mate
Do you mean it's impossible, or fraught with pitfalls? Is there any discussion or exchange of experiences of overburning DVD DL?

sorry, ive only just seen this.
I'm getting the impression that, despite vigorous discussion over a range of topics, gold media has been largely ignored. Why?

The DVD+R standard doesn't allow Test Mode so you can't use it :(

As for overburning DVD+R DL media I think you can't overburn it at all. You see, overburning a single-layer DVD+R will burn data closer to the outer edge of the disc, but on a recordable OTP (Opposite Track Path) dual-layer disc, the first layer is burnt from the center towards the edge, then the second layer is burnt from the edge towards the center of the disc (that's why it's called opposite track path). Besides, overburning never yielded great gain of space, not to mention that it creates a non-standard disc that not all drives may be able to read :unsure:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.