Finalise Disc Failed! - Reason: Program Memory Area Update Failure

Sliztzan

Hi, Thanks again for IB, I love your program and your new CD music cd cue burning works great. Great addition :)

I noticed this in some of my recent burns to Verbatim DVD5 discs that I've used

for a long time. This might have gone unnoticed in the past, I just don't know.

It doesn't happen on every burn. Seems to be every third burn or so.

The discs verify perfectly and the quality reports are averaging

98-99 percent.

Is this anything to be of concern?

Should it be a warning sign of a failing drive or anything else?

The drive is almost new and the discs play fine.

Is there some setting I need to change?

Thank you for your help once again!

I 18:56:41 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 18:56:41 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 18:56:41 Total Physical Memory: 3,143,404 KB - Available: 2,468,564 KB

I 18:56:41 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:56:41 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:56:41 Found 1 DVD

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I 18:56:51 Destination Device: [2:0:0] TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203N SB01 (F:) (ATA)

There's firmware SB02 available for your burner. Remove any disc and close the tray before updating. Reboot the computer after the update has finished. See if this helps with your problem. You may also want to try burning at 8x.

By the way, where are your Verbatim blanks made? Singapore? India? It's written in the packaging/box/spindle.

I 18:56:51 Destination Device: [2:0:0] TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203N SB01 (F:) (ATA)

There's firmware SB02 available for your burner. Remove any disc and close the tray before updating. Reboot the computer after the update has finished. See if this helps with your problem. You may also want to try burning at 8x.

By the way, where are your Verbatim blanks made? Singapore? India? It's written in the packaging/box/spindle.

Oh shoot. I thought I had recent. Sorry about that. I was just looking for current firmware. Don't know how I missed that.

I do want to let you know though, that the firmware checker isn't working anymore with IB. Now it only takes you to the homepage of a site.

The discs (DVD+R) Single Layer are made in Taiwan 95037

I'm doing the update to firmware now. It didn't happen on this burn I just did.

Edited by Sliztzan

Yeah, that happens with a lot of Samsung burners, especially the 20x (SH-S20xx) and the new 22x (SH-S223F if I recall correctly) and it happens even on good media, like yours is. If it's verifying OK and the quality test show it's good then I think there's no real problem.

As for ImgBurn's firmware checker, we are aware that it doesn't work at the moment, since it relies completely on www.rpc1.org and they haven't restored their database ever since their server crashed :(

OK Firmware update done. Will post another note if it persists. Oh, and thanks much for the firmware link!

I have been seeing at cd freaks some sb02 patched firmware. Any thoughts about that? I've never

used patched firmware, though some swear by it for reasons I don't know. (haven't done much reading).

hey, how cool is that. thanks for looking up that link for me. that kinda stuff is amazing to me. there is always some cool new toy with computers.

Enhanced OPC (EOPC) <-- New

This patch adjusts the WOPC to improve burn quality at all burn speeds.

....last 2 burns no problem. gotta get some more to burn.

Edited by Sliztzan

Hi blutach. I'm happy with my results too, and this drive. It was recommended (I think by you, excuse me if I'm wrong) here and I'm very happy with this drive. Who could be happier with a 98-99 quality rating :)

I'm not understanding why you turn it off? Within the ImgBurn options I have it enabled also.

Would you please explain a bit? Thanks.

Edited by Sliztzan

OPC is automatically performed by the drive regardless.

The 'Perform OPC Before Write' option asks the drive for OPC data before burning, as this could indicate media incompatibility problems (power calibration errors/etc), but it's now disabled by default:

Changed: 'Perform OPC Before Write' is now disabled by default - it errored out on too many drives.

Yes, I saw the change with a previous revision. I never had any 'error outs' so I enabled it thinking keeping it enabled would give me a better (Optimum) burn , such as in the days of cassette recorders you could align the recording heads, on high end equipment, to give you a better quality recording.

Is this option only for specific drives?

I have the same issue with my Lite-On's.

Based on the size of your input file, I guess you didn't apply any 'shrinking' on the source file? Try to apply 1 % 'shrinking' with a 'popular free' shrinking program and re burn it. It helps with my problems.

Only wish I knew why that 'fix' helps with PMA failures... :(

• 2 weeks later...

W 19:03:57 Potential 'WaitImmediateIO' Deferred Error - (99%, 0/3) - Program Memory Area Update Failure

W 19:03:57 Finalise Disc Failed! - Reason: Program Memory Area Update Failure

W 19:03:57 Retrying (1 of 3)...

I am receiving the same error at the end of the burn. Using Samsung SH-S202N with SB02 firmware and Made in Taiwan Verbatim 16x MCC004.

• 2 weeks later...
W 19:03:57 Potential 'WaitImmediateIO' Deferred Error - (99%, 0/3) - Program Memory Area Update Failure

I am receiving the same error at the end of the burn. Using Samsung SH-S202N with SB02 firmware and Made in Taiwan Verbatim 16x MCC004.

I have been having the same issue and have done extensive troubleshooting: upgrading firmware, validating media, validating system settings etc. I have 2 Lite-ON IHAS220-08 SuperAllwrite SATA internal drives. I believe I have narrowed the issue down to a problem with the Image Burn program. After updating my firmware I was still receiving the "program memory area update failure" message during the "Finalizing Disc" part of the burn. Tried the same image using DeepBurner and it burned just fine. If you let Image Burn repeat the Finalize Disc first try failure, it will successfully finish the disc but that disk will only play on your PC, you will get the message "Unsupported Format" if you try to play it in a regular DVD player. This was not the case after I burned the image with Deepburner. Now, one could point the finger at the media, however, I use Verbatim, have for some time, never had issues before and I'm seeing a lot of posts on this subject recently so we have 2 questions:

1. Are various DVD manufacturers suddenly supplying bad media to many different geographical areas ? or

2. Is there a problem with the Image Burn program ?

I tend to lean toward the common denominator which in this case is the Image Burn Program. Bummer to because it was the best I had run across.

You too MrWizard?

Read the 'Pinned' topic at the top of this forum.

Sorry Lightning UK, just getting used to the tools on this site for posting, my first post was an accident. I did post again though and yes I'm getting the same error. I also tried downgrading my image burn program back to 2.0 thinking that maybe it was something with the most recent version but that didn't work either, sure wish I could figure it out because I'd much rather use Image Burn than DeepBurner........

I've come to the conclusion that Lite-Ons are crap if you are burning with +R media. The only working solution is to change to another brand of burner. Optiarc and Pioneer are two good brands to pick.

The reason that DeepBurner works is IMHO, that that program doesn't report the error message from the writer. So from the users point - it looks as a good burn, but it's not. Take a look in this thread regarding this error and various burning programs. Only ImgBurn and Nero reports the error the right way.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=7860

There is a trick to get an DVD image to burn, and that is to alter the size of the image with either a shrinking program or add additional stuff to the compilation.

Some more info: http://club.cdfreaks.com/2133216-post2014.html

:)

I've come to the conclusion that Lite-Ons are crap if you are burning with +R media. The only working solution is to change to another brand of burner. Optiarc and Pioneer are two good brands to pick.

The reason that DeepBurner works is IMHO, that that program doesn't report the error message from the writer. So from the users point - it looks as a good burn, but it's not. Take a look in this thread regarding this error and various burning programs. Only ImgBurn and Nero reports the error the right way.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=7860

There is a trick to get an DVD image to burn, and that is to alter the size of the image with either a shrinking program or add additional stuff to the compilation.

Some more info: http://club.cdfreaks.com/2133216-post2014.html

:)

I disagree. I have burned dozens of DVD's on my burners without incident. Also reporting an error or not doesn't mean didly, the proof is in the pudding. I burn an image using image burn, it reports the error, I let it retry, it finishes, I put the finished DVD in my stand alone player and get the message "Unsupported Format" yet it will play from my PC; I burn the same image using DeepBurner, it doesn't report the error (if there really is one using DeepBurner), I put the DVD in my stand alone player and it plays just fine; also plays on PC just fine. So, as I said, the proof is in the pudding.

I've been burning images a long time and am aware of image size reduction. Most ripping programs worth their salt do this for you automatically. My background includes 15+ years of computer support and if there's one thing I've learned, you believe what you experience and see work vs what your told is supposed to work. The majority of the time it's a Microsoft feature causing the problem and it may very well be in this case, all I know is that Image Burn has started giving me these errors (never used to for years) and the finished discs won't play in a stand alone player. Same image using DeepBurner does.

Believe me, I wish I could figure it out because I'd rather use Image Burn. :thumbup:

Ahh, deepburner doesn't actually finalise the disc at all, it leaves it open so you can add more to it.

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B SB04 (SATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 2

Sectors: 1,920,720

Size: 3,933,634,560 bytes

Time: 426:51:45 (MM:SS:FF)

The drives only mess up when you finalise the disc.

The 'working' retry thing is bogus and I very much doubt the drive actually does anything as a result of me repeating the command. Once the initial attempt has failed, the drive has already screwed the disc up and that's why it doesn't play nicely in all players.

The reason that you can play the DVD burned with DeepBurner is that it's not doing a retry. The burning program doesn't listen to the burner and never catches the error message that the burner reports.

ImgBurn listens to the burner and catches the error message and then do a retry to finalize the disc. So basically, if you unchecked the option 'Finalise Disc - Auto Retry' (in the Write settings window) and doesn't do a new try when the error is reported - I'm most certain that it will also play on your player.

Perhaps LUK can do a test with DeepBurner and see if the program really cares about the error message from the burner.

The error message from Lite-On writers only happens on a very few image sizes.

Here are some sizes that never works - you can try in the Discovery function of ImgBurn and set the custom size to any of these sector sizes. These sizes will work with any other brand of burner in combination with ImgBurn - but never with a Lite-On based writer. I have tried with iHAS120 and two DH20A3H.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.