Write Error > Invalid Address for Write (x20)

Ichinichi

Hello all,

Briefly, the drive sets L0 boundary without problem, writes lead-in, but throws a Write Error at an early sector. Sometimes its in the 20,xxx (like in the log below), other times its in the hundreds (lowest is sector 6xx).

1. I am using a 1-day old ASUS DRW-2014S1 with the 1.01 FW (even though it doens't seem to read as such).

2. I am using Verbatim MKM-001-00 DL discs from amazon. I have 7 coasters on my desk.

3. The very first time I tried to burn a DL disc (using 1.00 FW), it got 48MB into the burn before the Write Error/Invalid Address for Write. Since then, the write error has occurred much earlier than that. Three discs later, I updated the FW but no dice. Yes I restarted the machine first.

4. I have noticed that the drive has trouble ejecting after the errors. I must exit imgburn and wait 15sec or so before the tray will eject.

5. I have not changed the booktype at all.

6. I am testing on burning backup X360 discs

7. Windows XP SP3, Intel P4 2.8GHz, 2GB PC3200 RAM, 1.7GB free

Thank you so very much for any help.

Here's the disc/drive info:

ASUS DRW-2014S1 1.00 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Free Sectors: 3,806,681

Free Space: 7,796,082,688 bytes

Free Time: 845:57:56 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x

DVD

Edited by Ichinichi

its a normal write error, which means the drive just dont like those discs.

Thats unusual for any drive to not like verbs DL discs. Are they made in India or Singapore ?, singapore are better, more reliable

It looks like you have the latest firmware , v1.01 . Had any difficulty writing to single layer dvd or cds with it ?,

It shows the drive recognises these discs as 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x . are the discs marked as 2.4x on the packaging . It could be the drive "will" write to them at up to 8x , but it doesnt say 2.4x in the list !!.

its a normal write error, which means the drive just dont like those discs.

Thats unusual for any drive to not like verbs DL discs. Are they made in India or Singapore ?, singapore are better, more reliable

It looks like you have the latest firmware , v1.01 . Had any difficulty writing to single layer dvd or cds with it ?,

It shows the drive recognises these discs as 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x . are the discs marked as 2.4x on the packaging . It could be the drive "will" write to them at up to 8x , but it doesnt say 2.4x in the list !!.

I have not tried writing SL discs since my objective is to have DL writing capability. The discs are marked 2.4x and these are the exact discs that LIGHTNING_UK suggests on the front page sticky to use Verbatim discs (MKM-001-00). It is curious that you mention how there is no 2.4x explicitly recognized by imgburn, but again referencing from LIGHTNING_UK's sticky post, the MKM-001-00 discs can be written at 8X by newer drives (which I believe mine to be). I have tried hardsetting the write speed to 2x, 2.4x and AUTO (MAX).

From all my reading, I recall something about needing to do booksetting in certain cases (I forget which ones).

Edited by Ichinichi

I 11:25:00 Destination Device: [0:0:0] ASUS DRW-2014S1 1.00 (D:) (ATA)

I 11:25:00 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: MKM-001-00) (Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x)

It's not an Imgburn issues....the 2.4X is down to your hardware/firmware. As you can see from your log 2.4 isn't supported so you'll need to choose 2X. The discs are rated for 2.4X so choosing anything above that will be overspeeding and not recommended, especially with DL projects.

If you've updated the firmware to 1.01 it didn't take...I'd try again. The firmware may fix the compatiblity issues you are seeing with the Verbatim media.

EDIT: Actually, checking the ASUS website it lists 1.00 as the current firmware for your drive.... http://support.asus.com/download/download....p&f_type=20

I 11:25:00 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: MKM-001-00) (Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x)

It's not an Imgburn issues....the 2.4X is down to your hardware/firmware. As you can see from your log 2.4 isn't supported so you'll need to choose 2X. The discs are rated for 2.4X so choosing anything above that will be overspeeding and not recommended, especially with DL projects.

If you've updated the firmware to 1.01 it didn't take...I'd try again. The firmware may fix the compatiblity issues you are seeing with the Verbatim media.

EDIT: Actually, checking the ASUS website it lists 1.00 as the current firmware for your drive.... http://support.asus.com/download/download....p&f_type=20

Its weird since when I flashed it this morning, downloading the exe from the same link as you listed, I remember distinctly that the firmware installer said I had 1.00 and that 1.01 is newer.

I tried burning at 2.0x this morning with no luck.

Does the fact that each burn fails at an early sector indicate anything?

If a new burner couldn't burn Verbatim DVD+R DL with MKM-001-00 dye I would return/exchange it as defective.

I'm hoping to resolve this issue in house before going through the hassle of an RMA. The drive is from NewEgg, so I'm not pressed on time wrt RMA deadlines.

I also switched out the ATA cable for a brand new one. Sometimes, when imgburn is waiting for me to select an image to burn, the status at the bottom left of the window says "Power On, Device Reset, Bus [something]"...or something of the like. I've plugged the drive into the Primary IDE Controller and the Secondary Controller. I'm out $12 in discs. WTF is the deal?

I set the write speed to 2.0x and here's the log. It gets 163xxx sectors in and chokes.

I 19:03:05 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 19:03:05 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 19:03:05 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,364 KB - Available: 1,711,988 KB

I 19:03:05 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:03:05 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:03:05 Found 1 DVD

Edited by Ichinichi

I have not tried writing SL discs since my objective is to have DL writing capability.

point being to find out if the drive IS screwed or not, process of elimination

The discs are marked 2.4x and these are the exact discs that LIGHTNING_UK suggests on the front page sticky to use Verbatim discs (MKM-001-00). It is curious that you mention how there is no 2.4x explicitly recognized by imgburn, but again referencing from LIGHTNING_UK's sticky post, the MKM-001-00 discs can be written at 8X by newer drives (which I believe mine to be). I have tried hardsetting the write speed to 2x, 2.4x and AUTO (MAX).

Again they are 'marked' 2.4x , maybe newer drives will write them faster, but as yours is a new drive we dont know that yet DO WE ?, where was they made ( i asked earlier for a reason, India or Singapore ?)

Yes, it means the drive is struggling to write to those discs

W 19:07:08 Failed to Write Sectors 163520 - 163551 - Reason: Write Error

W 19:09:13 Retry Failed - Reason: Invalid Address For Write

E 19:09:17 Failed to Write Sectors 163520 - 163551 - Reason: Write Error

E 19:09:17 Next Writable Address: 163017

the drive thinks that it can STILL write to a part its already written to '163017' , notice it got to 163520 when it errored out .

and the same in the first log you posted

E 11:33:33 Failed to Write Sectors 21344 - 21375 - Reason: Write Error

E 11:33:33 Next Writable Address: 20839

i reckon youve got either

discs made in India

or

your drive needs changing ( RMA )

or

it could even be a dirty lense on the drive

or

dirty discs.

Personally, i would return the drive ( while you can) and get a better branded one thats known to be reliable with DL verbs

I have not tried writing SL discs since my objective is to have DL writing capability.

point being to find out if the drive IS screwed or not, process of elimination

The discs are marked 2.4x and these are the exact discs that LIGHTNING_UK suggests on the front page sticky to use Verbatim discs (MKM-001-00). It is curious that you mention how there is no 2.4x explicitly recognized by imgburn, but again referencing from LIGHTNING_UK's sticky post, the MKM-001-00 discs can be written at 8X by newer drives (which I believe mine to be). I have tried hardsetting the write speed to 2x, 2.4x and AUTO (MAX).

Again they are 'marked' 2.4x , maybe newer drives will write them faster, but as yours is a new drive we dont know that yet DO WE ?, where was they made ( i asked earlier for a reason, India or Singapore ?)

Yes, it means the drive is struggling to write to those discs

W 19:07:08 Failed to Write Sectors 163520 - 163551 - Reason: Write Error

W 19:09:13 Retry Failed - Reason: Invalid Address For Write

E 19:09:17 Failed to Write Sectors 163520 - 163551 - Reason: Write Error

E 19:09:17 Next Writable Address: 163017

the drive thinks that it can STILL write to a part its already written to '163017' , notice it got to 163520 when it errored out .

and the same in the first log you posted

E 11:33:33 Failed to Write Sectors 21344 - 21375 - Reason: Write Error

E 11:33:33 Next Writable Address: 20839

i reckon youve got either

discs made in India

or

your drive needs changing ( RMA )

or

it could even be a dirty lense on the drive

or

dirty discs.

Personally, i would return the drive ( while you can) and get a better branded one thats known to be reliable with DL verbs

Right. In the spirit of Process of Elimination I tried to burn with Alcohol 120 using the exact same image file, drive and media. It got to 98% completion and abruptly threw a write error. So we know its not the image I'm trying to burn...

The error code was S:KEY - 03/0C/00 - "Write Error". Googling for sense codes I get:

Sense Code Results

SCSI Error Code Lookup: 3-0C-00

Error Description(s): (3-0C-00) Vendor assigned code.

The read-after-write retry limit was exceeded during a write operation.

Does this shed any new light?

I doubt the lens is dirty since it came out of its antistatic bag a little over 12 hours ago.

How do I tell whether my discs are from India or Singapore?

Even if the discs are from India, there's no way I'm getting 12 coasters from 12 attempts!

I have since tried burning using a different Windows Install (WinXP Pro SP2, same system, spare primary HDD). Oddly enough, when I tried to reinstall WinXP, the Installer for continually reported errors/corruption on the genuine WinXP disc, which installed w/o a hitch using a Samsung drive three days ago.

Maybe it is time for an RMA. What drive does LIGHTNING_UK and friends recommend?

Edited by Ichinichi

I have also noticed that the log indicates the "next writable" address is almost always 500 sectors earlier than the unwritable ones...

Here's the log from the WinXP SP2

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Friday, 24 October 2008, 22:35:54

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 22:03:15 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 22:03:15 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 22:03:15 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,364 KB - Available: 1,681,932 KB

I 22:03:15 Initialising SPTI...

I 22:03:15 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 22:03:15 Found 1 DVD

The 'Write Error' is being returned as a deferred message, meaning it dates back to something ImgBurn was doing a while back.

Don't forget that drives have cache. The command ImgBurn just sent doesn't have to be the one the drive is actually processing.

Your Googling attempt on the error code from Alcohol wasn't right. It errored out with the same error ImgBurn got - i.e. 'Write Error'.

Sometimes, when imgburn is waiting for me to select an image to burn, the status at the bottom left of the window says "Power On, Device Reset, Bus [something]"...or something of the like

That really isn't a good sign. There's obviously a bigger problem somewhere.

Likewise, this would indicate a bigger problem too...

Oddly enough, when I tried to reinstall WinXP, the Installer for continually reported errors/corruption on the genuine WinXP disc, which installed w/o a hitch using a Samsung drive three days ago.

Are you forced to use IDE drives? Does you board actually have an SATA controller or is it pretty old?

Which chipset does your motherboard use?

I doubt the lens is dirty since it came out of its antistatic bag a little over 12 hours ago.

How do I tell whether my discs are from India or Singapore?

Even if the discs are from India, there's no way I'm getting 12 coasters from 12 attempts!

"I" doubt the lense is dirty as well , but its another one of those things worth checking that can be fixed easily.

Discs are usually marked on the packaging, good online stores tell you country of origin in the items description

Hello all!

Phew! It was a dark, dark night.

I ended up trying to reinstall windows since it was complaining of consistency issues with one of my logical partitions every time it booted up (never finds anything wrong). Well, using the ASUS drive I ended up getting caught between where a Windows installation is registered by the system and where ntldr is copied over. That's when the ASUS crapped out on me. It wouldn't boot from CD. I tried everything. Finally, observing daylight once more, I had a friend bring over an old HP CD-ROM and successfully reinstalled Windows. Went to the local big box retailer and bought a SONY USB External DL Burner to see if the media might be at fault as well. The ASUS is going RMA, for sure.

To answer LIGHTNING UK's last queries: I am on an ASUS P4P-800SE from 2003. Its got two onboard 1.5GB/s SATA ports plus the Rosewill PCI SATA/RAID controller card, which has three SATA ports.

Since the $200 SONY external DL burner is just for test purposes (I'm sure as hell not keeping it at that price), I'm still not sure what drive to buy now and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Ichinichi

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.