Burned DVD Skips

jlb

Hi all,

Yes this is my first post. I have been using Imageburn for several months now without issue. In the last 2 weeks I can't seem to burn a movie that doesn't skip. Here are some basics - I am using a Sony DVD RW burner on an XP SP3 machine, I am using Maxell DVD-R discs (the same ones I have used for some time now). The DVD plays fine in my computer, but skips in the DVD player.... older videos I have burned play fine, as do commercial DVDs. Tonight I tried the a few DVDs in a friends DVD unit, some worked some did not, all were burned in the last 2 weeks. I am using a Panisonic DVD player that is 2-3 years old.

I thought it might be a media problem, so I bought a different brand a few days ago. No change.

Thoughts???

Here is the log file from the latest attempt. I don't see anything obvious, but I could be missing something.

I 17:34:59 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 17:34:59 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 17:34:59 Total Physical Memory: 1,562,700 KB - Available: 678,900 KB

W 17:34:59 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 17:34:59 Initialising SPTI...

I 17:34:59 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 17:35:10 Found 1 CD-RW and 1 DVD

Hi and welcome to the forum, jlb! :)

Curious. Why don't you use the verify option to see if there is any problems during the re-read?

Another thing - your Sony writer is a re badged Lite-On (Nice scanners) - try to do a a scan on the disc quality with either Nero DiscSpeed or DVDInfoPro to see how good your burns really are.

Panasonic dvd players are notoriously fussy about what media they will play.

Maxell use lots of other manufacturers dyes/inks on there discs. the example you used in the log above uses Ritek ink/dye.

Although you have tried differant media, you may have bought another brand whose dye/ink is just as bad for a panasonic to read.without seeing a log from your previous brand of media, we dont know what you changed "from" .

You need to try decent media, like Taiyo yuden

Cynthia,

Okay, I have listed below a burn with verify turned on. Everything, again looks fine. I downloaded DVDInfopro and tested the same DVD I burned. No errors, however, when I ran the scan test the quality rating was only 62%. I ran the same test on one of the older DVDs and it has a quality rating of 94%. I ran one final test on a Maxell DVD from last week. It has a quality rating of 96% yet it will not play without skipping. Not sure what has changed but I will try another type of media. I am not sure where I can find the Taiyo Yuden DVDs other than online. I have never heard of them before.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

I 12:38:39 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 12:38:39 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 12:38:39 Total Physical Memory: 1,562,700 KB - Available: 799,008 KB

W 12:38:39 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 12:38:39 Initialising SPTI...

I 12:38:39 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 12:38:39 Found 1 CD-RW and 1 DVD

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.