General price range 8.5 gb DVD

Streek Dime

I have a few home movies and they're all around 7.5 gb+ in size. I know I can have the movies in 2 4.7gb dvds but my family doesn't want that.

I was looking into 8.5gb dvds but I don't know much about them when it comes to price. What's the average cost of a 25 pack of 8.5gb dvds. I found this one 30 pack for $16.99, it's Memorex.

That's pretty good right?

If anyone else is interested in the deal, it's - http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SkuSearch_v2.as...riteria=4409832

Well it all depends on the type of stuff on the movie (if it's just grandma sitting round patting the dog or if its full of action like kids running around at top pace amongst the trees) and the number of frames (ie the time) of your video.

As I said, most cams record at absurdly high bitrates for home movies (maybe 6-7000 kpbs constant). You can generally get 2.5 to 3 hours into a DVD5, no problems (subject to it being regular stuff like grandma and puppies). Especially if you re-encode (as opposed to transcode), the quality loss might not be very noticeable at all.

You should try it on one or 2 vids and make a decision then.

Either way, good luck.

Regards

Oh great thanks. I have a quick question. I see in your sig you suggest Taiyo Yuden and I read a few other topics where Lightning UK suggests TY as well. I have Sony and TDK ... they both work fine ... well TDK is much better than Sony, but they're both generally great.

Is there a significant difference in using TY?

• 3 weeks later...
I was looking into 8.5gb dvds but I don't know much about them when it comes to price. What's the average cost of a 25 pack of 8.5gb dvds. I found this one 30 pack for $16.99, it's Memorex.

The price is US currency $16.99 and using today's rate (0.6874), its AUD$25.00 plus postage.

I'm using Ritek 8 speed DVD+R DL $29 for 25 pack and have no issues burning with ImgBurn. Go get them at Capital Square, George St. Sydney.

Edited by Leeroy17

Is there a significant difference in using TY?

Short answer, YES!!!

I'm using Ritek 8 speed

There most certainly is a difference and all that we, ie those that burn much more than occasionally, can add is refer to this HERE! and ignore others who don't know what they are talking about. :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.