Buy 1, get none free!

dbminter

Office Depot near me normally has surprisingly good deals on decent quality media. BUT, this one I just had to laugh at! Buy 1 100 DVD-R stack for $80, get another free. Unfortunately, they were Memorex DVD-R! :& So, isn't that more like buy 1, get none free? :lol:

You do have to watch out at Office Depot. Because, if you look, pay attention, and come in on the right day, you can find some great stuff! For instance, the RITEKG05's I use for temporary data backups, etc. (Covers a lot. ;)) I usually get when they have buy 100, get 100 more for free. The last time, it was $29.95. Often times, you can find things in the back of the store on reduced shelves that are cheaper than their counterparts near the front. While this means they are older, it doesn't matter the age on some products, though. I've also seen the buy 1, get 1 free offers on recordable media where the same items exist in two separate places in the same aisle where one is free and one isn't. Or, a sale may be reflected on one price tag, but not another in the same aisle for duplicate listings of the same thing.

Unfortunately in Canada it's a regular occurance to walk out of there stiff legged pulling up your pants, wondering what just happened experience. ONLY deal I've found is Verb 16X +R's, 25 for $15CAD, which really isn't that special. Never seen their brand named stuff on sale, but I don't check it often anymore either.

It's all I ever use. IMO, there's really no difference between them except for a few things: 1.) DVD+R is a little bit more expensive 2.) DVD+R is newer 3.) DVD+R is hyped more. And, even without facotirng in having tested them in the wild, all those things spell one thing: trying to make a silk purse of a sow's ear. :) My prime reason, though, is my tests with DVD+R had a problem in that any dual format burner that burned DVD+R would not play in the Panasonic stand alone DVD recorder. And, the future has proven me well. :D DVD+ tends to get the faster write rates, etc. first, but, they tend to be tremendously error prone. DVD-R tends to take longer before they release things like this, but, generally (It's never perfect.) they require fewer revisions to fix the bugs.

So, it's really just a marginal thing: that, in the end, I choose DVD-R because it's cheaper, and the extra spent for DVD+R isn't worth it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

Of course, I also remember backing Beta because it was better. Doesn't mean it will win, though. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.