Version 2.4.2.0 "analyzing audio files"?? What does this mean? Is there a way to disable this??

slipkid

I just upgraded to v2.4.2.0.

This solved a problem on my Win98SE PC that was trying to write out a single WAV file that was delineated into seperate tracks via a cuesheet that I asked about in another thread. THANKS!!!

But I noticed a new "feature" of this program version that is kind of annoying (to me). I am not sure if it is a new thing, or if it is something I had disabled manually in older versions, or if it was in the older versions too but it just works a lot slower now so I never noticed it before, or what the story is. I looked in the options but I can't figure out if this is something selectable.

What I'm asking about is how when you go to burn WAVs as CD-DA with 2.4.2.0 after clicking on the go button, the program reports that it is "analyzing" the WAV files, and takes some time to do that. On my old Pentium 2 Win98SE PC that I was writing out one big WAV file this took like 3-5 minutes for that step. On my P4 XP SP3 PC this goes much faster but - what is it doing? Is this something that is needed? Is this something that I can turn off provided I understand what it is doing and if I determine that it is not a feature I need to use?

THANKS again for this great program, and thanks for bearing with my (possibly) stupid questions.

It's done so ImgBurn knows the exact size of the decoded file and therefore how long the track (or last track in your case) is.

Without it you can just end up with silence / gaps in the music where there shouldn't be any.

Thanks Lightning - does that mean it is doing a check to see if the files are CD sector sized, and that it pads/adjusts the files if there are any sector boundary errors?

Because if that is the case I don't need that check and would like to turn it off if possible. For stuff I master myself I do it the one big file way with a cuesheet (therefore there are no individual files that could have gaps) and for stuff that I download as individual files I check them with TradersLittleHelper and fix any sector boundary errors before I do any burning.

A check for SBEs is a nice feature to have since many folks do screw things up not knowing about them (especially in the old days of CDR burning, prior to people using CDWAV for splitting files correctly), but I'd like to be able to turn this off since I don't need it. Perhaps a configurable "check for Sector Boundary Errors on Audio files" choice could be added in the future if not there already? (If it is there what is it? I can't find it).

THANKS very much.

P.S. I LOVE IMGBURN, use it for DVDs, CD-DA, data backups, everything, and greatly appreciate not only that it is out there, or that it is freeware, but also how you take the time to do support for it up here. Time to put my $$ where my mouth is. I am ashamed to say I've not made a donation to the cause. Will do so now!

• 2 weeks later...

I explained what it does in post 2.

I runs a dummy decode pass on the file (i.e. exactly what happens during the burn) so that it can get the *accurate* total decoded length of the file and not have to use DirectShow's guestimate and then pad / crop sectors to make it fit with the cue sheet that's been sent to the drive prior to burning (i.e. how many sectors the drive is expecting for each track).

Whilst I *could* do away with it for wav files already in CD-DA format (44khz, 16bit, strereo etc), at the moment I haven't made any special exceptions like that. The same routine is called for all the audio files that ImgBurn supports. There's no way to 'turn it off' or I'd have already mentioned how to do it.

I explained what it does in post 2.

I runs a dummy decode pass on the file (i.e. exactly what happens during the burn) so that it can get the *accurate* total decoded length of the file and not have to use DirectShow's guestimate and then pad / crop sectors to make it fit with the cue sheet that's been sent to the drive prior to burning (i.e. how many sectors the drive is expecting for each track).

Whilst I *could* do away with it for wav files already in CD-DA format (44khz, 16bit, strereo etc), at the moment I haven't made any special exceptions like that. The same routine is called for all the audio files that ImgBurn supports. There's no way to 'turn it off' or I'd have already mentioned how to do it.

ok thanks! i vote for a way to turn it off in future versions

for now what i'll do is go back to 2.4.0.0 (unless i have more of the one file/many track cuesheet scenarios that requires 2.4.2.0)

thx again for a fantastic program

Ok, enjoy that 'known to be buggy' version.

I will, thanks. Used it for a long time with no problems (other than that cuesheet issue I asked about b4). I just hate waiting that extra time for the file check with the new version. Especially on my old PC it takes forever. Thanks again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.