This is gonna take some getting use to

kirk1701™

What can I say, its nice, I like it but I liked my Dell 5150 more. ;)

It was broke in and I knew how touchy the touchpad was and how to set it the way I liked it. The new one don't have the same property screens and it just don't have that same feel or scroll down a page with ease.

Not to mention Dell has it loaded with junk, AOL, screensavers, sonic DVD trial versions and all sorts of other crap along with their own dell update support software. At boot the dam thing is running 66 processes :wacko:

I wanna format it and set it up the way I want with just my software but it don't come with a restore CD, its all on a hidden partition I would like to gain access to and bun off the software to disk.

Anyone know how to gain access to the hidden partition?

Its a Dell Dude . I remember when they were great but anyone thats sticking AOL( nothing but a marketing company with more pop ups that they block ) and all that other crap on their machine can keep them .You can call Dell and maybe they can get you a real OS disk and #'s for it hell you paid enough ,all these repair discs are for SHIT. Other option is to buy a copy of Win XP and format the HD, this way you'll know that all their crap is gone and you will always be able to reinstall when its the easiest way to fix a box thats not running right. Then of course they mess with everything that they install on the box so you have to go to Dell for drivers etc etc .I remember them messing with Power DVD so it was Dell Power DVD and you couldn't open a file from the HD to watch a dvd

I wanna format it and set it up the way I want with just my software but it don't come with a restore CD, its all on a hidden partition I would like to gain access to and bun off the software to disk.

Google is your friend. :)

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/sho...63105444&pgno=2

Thanks Shamus :thumbup:

Downloaded that "Image for Windows" he talks about and burned it to a DVD. It created a .IMG file spanning 3 files so I'm working with that to extract the data right now.

Also, going to call Dell like he says and give it a shot of them sending me a disk.

(If the woman of the house ever decides to get off the phone) =))

Just got off the phone with Dell. Be here in 3 to 5 days. That was surprising B)

Edited by kirk1701

Thanks Shamus :thumbup:

Downloaded that "Image for Windows" he talks about and burned it to a DVD. It created a .IMG file spanning 3 files so I'm working with that to extract the data right now.

Also, going to call Dell like he says and give it a shot of them sending me a disk.

(If the woman of the house ever decides to get off the phone) =))

Just got off the phone with Dell. Be here in 3 to 5 days. That was surprising B)

Ok I hate to ask this but I hink its an obvious question :)

@Kirk don't you teach computers at school?

And shouldn't you already have known this stuff, being an expert and all :thumbup:

I'm no where near an expert, no where have I ever said I was but do know my share when it comes to MS. :thumbup:

However this is Dell specific and proprietary to them.

Back on subject, thought I'd go ahead and try to register my copy of XP on the new laptop expecting it to fail because it was registered on the old laptop. :teehee: I did this just to get to the screen with the phone number to call MS so I could have them "unregister" this product key with the old laptop so I could sell the copy on e-bay :pirate:

Guess what, MS is slipping dude and the registration was successful :pirate:

If anyone installs XP I need the phone number in the US to call, this number is only on that screen not online. :wacko:

Guess what, MS is slipping dude and the registration was successful

there's a time limit that has expired(6 months or so)

WPA

In otherwords chewy your saying I can register this copy on a different PC every six months?

Gonna have to say "I don't think thats true" :thumbup:

If you call MS they can give you a different serial # of which there are many imbedded on the disc ,you'll have a new serial but it will work with your disk .I have to do a format and install today or tomorrow and I'll look for the phone # :thumbup:

If you call MS they can give you a different serial # of which there are many imbedded on the disc ,you'll have a new serial but it will work with your disk .I have to do a format and install today or tomorrow and I'll look for the phone # :thumbup:

Thanks Polo, appreciate it :thumbup:

By the way, don't think your product key will change but they will give you a code to input which allows you to change the machine that product key is associated with.

Been there done that :thumbup:

Guess what, MS is slipping dude and the registration was successful

there's a time limit that has expired(6 months or so)

WPA

In otherwords chewy your saying I can register this copy on a different PC every six months?

Gonna have to say "I don't think thats true" :thumbup:

google it, I have a lot, several MSMVPs wrote extensively on it. Long reads tho. Believe what you want.

I usually go with official sources(MSMVP)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.