ImgBurn (?) Freezes computer while trying to burn .ISO

Lord Crazya

Hello!

I seemed to have discovered a problem while trying to burn several different .ISOs. My first failed attempt was back in December, when OpenSuSE 11.1 was released, and I was attempted to burn my x86-64 DVD version. The second (third, fourth) times have been while trying to burn Windows 7 Beta (the official version), but only the 64bit version. After 2 failed attempts I burned the 32 bit version without problems, "Verify" and all. I'm also able to burn regular data disks (CDs, DVDs, DL DVDs) and .ISOs of DVD-Video however.

I'm seeing a trend that I'm not able to burn 64 bit bootable disks...

Right, so what happens is I start the burn. It fires up, the disk starts spinning, and then it loads up the buffer (I remember seeing it go up to 84% no problem, then slowly to 85% for a half minute or so, then 86% where it stops, and locks up the computer). It locks up everything to the point where I can't CTRL-ALT-DEL at all. Of course, this means that I can do one of two things: wait, or restart. The first time I waited for about a half hour, then restarted. I haven't waited any more than 5 minutes for the subsequent attempts. And, when I have to restart my computer like that... no log from ImgBurn... so I'll give you the log that is made any other time:

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Wednesday, 21 January 2009, 20:43:30

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 20:42:57 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 20:42:57 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 20:42:57 Total Physical Memory: 3,143,892 KB - Available: 1,539,084 KB

I 20:42:57 Initialising SPTI...

I 20:42:57 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:42:57 Found 1 DVD

Freezing is normally a driver issue but could also be from dodgy memory, overclocking etc.

There's no reason at all why there would ever be a problem burning one type of image. It's not like the drive knows the difference between the images, it's all just a bunch of data.

Well, I knew that it would have been strange for it to screw up just for 64bit bootables... no overclocking though.

I have noticed my computer is acting up a little bit... it froze at a certain point 3 times (I had to make sure!) while watching a .avi on VLC, and just random freeze ups here and there. Dodgy RAM? I dunno, it's decent RAM, and 4GB also (thought Windows only recognizes 3). Maybe it is a RAM problem.

I redownloaded Windows 7 Beta again, did a "test" burn, everything worked fine. I then tried doing an actual burn, which made it about ~60% before crapping out on me again, forcing me to restart. Just afterward I burned the 32 bit version again, just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind, and it worked perfectly.

I did do a RAM test, everything seems to be working fine. Driver must be the issue. Any suggestions? I'll hold off on messing around until I can find a solution... blank DVDs are expensive in Germany for some reason.

Thank you again, and please pardon me for my slipping english in my previous post, I'm in the middle of a foreign exchange year...

Paul

Ok, so I'm posting this from Windows 7 32 bit... it's been rough.

So I did a complete memory test, there were no problems whatsoever.

I tried to do a complete chkdsk / [something], but it only got to section 4/5, and 60% through that section, it managed to freeze in the meantime.

So, I restarted and decided to just install Windows 7 32bit and then burn the CD from there. That froze as well... it behaved very similarly to Windows XP:

-Started burn in ImgBurn

-got to 17% burn, then explorer froze--only explorer though

-I noticed the device buffer had dropped to 0%

-ImgBurn pops back up and tries to start again.

-I tried CTRL-ALT-DEL, and it worked!, unlike in XP.

-I tried to restart Explorer, didn't work.

-ImgBurn is "Waiting for Buffer to recover..." - device buffer at 10%

-"Failed to read from File:

Reason: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

-I pressed stop, ImgBurn wouldn't exit (I didn't expect it to).

-Tried to use task manager to make it stop, it worked... still haven't gotten explorer running yet...

So, this tells me the following things:

-It isn't the RAM

-It isn't necessarily not the OS, but if it is it's a Windows driver.

-Probably Hard Drive, but what could be wrong with it?

The "Filter Driver" thingy:

===============================================

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.2.0

===============================================

Upper Device Filter: [None Found]

Upper Class Filter: [None Found]

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: [None Found]

Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

and my log:

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Thursday, 22 January 2009, 23:21:06

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 23:20:36 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 23:20:36 Media Center Edition (6.1, Build 7000)

I 23:20:36 Total Physical Memory: 3,143,004 KB - Available: 2,307,432 KB

I 23:20:36 Initialising SPTI...

I 23:20:36 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 23:20:55 Found 1 DVD

ok so if chkdsk froze you either have a physical hdd problem or the drivers for your controller (whatever the hdd is connected to) are so bad that they even kill the hdd I/O and that's why ImgBurn stops - either because the buffer is empty or because stuck I/O kills everything on the machine.

Next I guess you need to try some DOS based hdd testing utils.

The Ultimate Boot CD or Hiren's one have lots of hdd testing utils from all the different hdd manufacturers along with 3rd party ones.

Damn... I was really hoping it wasn't physical. I was complaining about DVD prices earlier... hard drives are unnecessarily expensive here as compared to my homeland, the US...

I used Hiren's earlier for the Mem test, I was looking around in there for a HD test thing, but I was having problems with it being SATA (as almost always happens with me...), I'll try using Window 7's chkdsk... maybe it'll work.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.