Problems Burning Verbatim 2.4x (Singapour)

bneale

Hey Guys,

I have a brand new LG - GH22LP20 and I have been having a really hard time trying to burn a Verbatim +R DL disc. The strange thing is that if i use one of my crappy Memorex S04-66 discs, the burn works fine. With both types i have tried burning at 2.4x and they fail, but 4x seems to work fine on the Memorex and not on the Verbatims. The Verbatims don't even write the 1st sectors but the LeadIn burns fine.

I have already upgraded my firmware and i'm using the newest version of ImgBurn. I don't understand why it works fine with the Memo's and not at all with Verbatims. I have a log that proves the Verbatims fail directly after i've finished burning my Memorex disc. But i will only post my troubled log unless someone requests otherwise. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. Please see the log below:

I 15:25:38 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 15:25:38 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 15:25:38 Total Physical Memory: 1,047,788 KB - Available: 670,080 KB

I 15:25:38 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:25:38 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:25:38 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

Edited by bneale

I doubt very much that LG is just going to send me a new drive since it works pefectly fine on other media. As soon as i tell their tech support person that it works fine with Memorex and not with Verbatim's, they're going to logically eliminate the problem with the Drive and point to the media. Just like how you just did by saying it was a "duff batch of disc's".

I think this problem is a little easier to understand when you look at the speed ratings for everything. The burner was listed as 4x-22x speed on the box and the 10 pack of Verbatim's i bought were 2.4x while the Memorex discs are 4x-8x. With the Memorex discs, setting my speed to 2.4x doesn't do anything because my burner will burn the disc at the higher 4x speed. But the same is not true for the Verbatim's. They won't start the burn process at all other then the LeadIn.

I'm thinking here that my new LG drive just won't burn the discs because the burner was never suppost to run at 2.4x. It will only run at 4x and the Verbatim disc's are rated for 2.4x and here in lies the problem. Those disc's are rated too low and just can't be used by my burner even if i try them at 4x. They just simply are not supported by my burner.

Before i continue, i just want to re-iterate the fact that i really love this product. I've used this product and DVD Decrypter for years now and i'm going to continue using it. But you probably want to stop telling people to go out and buy Verbatim's as a solution to their problem. I realize that you guys probably know more about burn media then I do, but i listened to your solution in other posts and i feel like i just wasted $30 on discs i just can't use. When if i just bought the $20 Memorex discs, i wouldn't have made $9 worth of coasters.

To clarify, if someones burner (like mine) is rated 4x-22x, suggesting that they buy expensive 2.4x discs as a solution isn't a good idea unless you can verify 100% that they will work. In my case i tried everything i could think of and the only clear solution is to use anything but the Verbatim's you've suggested.

I 18:21:17 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 18:21:17 Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790 : Service Pack 2)

I 18:21:17 Total Physical Memory: 3,407,052 KB - Available: 2,705,636 KB

I 18:21:17 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:21:17 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:21:18 Found 1 DVD

soup2nuts wrote: "I have a whole pile more that were done not only with this drive, but others that don't burn @2.4X."

I'm not sure i understand your comments based on your log. Are you saying they don't work for you @2.4x but they do @4x?

Because for me, they don't burn at all at either speed. But if i change nothing (not even a reboot) i can burn my discs fine using Memorex discs.

Just to be clear, I have not been able to burn a Verbatium at all, no matter if its 2.4x or 4x speed. But my Memo's work flawlessly with no change to the computer.

soup2nuts wrote: "I have a whole pile more that were done not only with this drive, but others that don't burn @2.4X."

I'm not sure i understand your comments based on your log. Are you saying they don't work for you @2.4x but they do @4x?

Because for me, they don't burn at all at either speed. But if i change nothing (not even a reboot) i can burn my discs fine using Memorex discs.

Just to be clear, I have not been able to burn a Verbatium at all, no matter if its 2.4x or 4x speed. But my Memo's work flawlessly with no change to the computer.

The available write speed to me with this media & this drive is 4X, so I burn @4X. If I had a choice of write speeds, then I would have to decide which speed to use based on what I have done before with this media, this drive & found the best write speed to use. People give advice on the knowledge available to them & the most recommended DL media anywhere is Verbatim 2.4X, made in Singapore especially for older drives. Personally I will use 2.4X, 8X, made in Singapore or India. I will also use Philips 8X. You might have got a bad batch, it happens, you might have something wrong with your firmware for that drive. Don't you find it the least bit strange that Memorex works but Verbatims don't? Are you able to try burning these Verbatims with another drive, maybe even in another computer to check?

Edited by soup2nuts

I do find it strange. In fact that is the exact reason why i started this thread. But sadly i cannot burn these discs with another drive and i don't have access to a 2nd computer to try it either. But what i can try is burning a dvd movie using Nero @4x with the Verbatim discs. If it burns successfully in Nero, i will have reached the conclusion that the discs themselves are not bad as well as the drive itself. If Nero is able to burn these discs @4x using the same drive/firmware, then the only thing left with a problem would be ImgBurn which i hope is not the case.

I still don't think that telling people to buy Verbatim's every single time they have a problem is a good idea. Especially since i just wasted $30 on 10 discs and made $9 in coasters. Too be honest, if my problem really comes down to a bad batch of discs, i don't really want to risk another $30 on discs testing this theory just to end up with more coasters.

I'm really hoping the Verbatim discs don't work in Nero. If they won't work in Nero then they must be the problem. If they don't work there is only 2 reasons i can think of which show they don't work. One being that they are rated for 2.4x(attempted burning @4x) and my burner is only 4x-22x. And two being that they really are a bad batch from the manufacturing process. I can test the 2nd theory once my friend gets home from China, otherwise i'll have to wait.

I will try a burn in a few hours once i get home. I'll post my results once i've had a chance to test this theory.

Edited by bneale

I just tried burning one of my Verbatim discs using the Nero 7 Essentials that came with my burner. I was trying to burn a DVD movie from files i have backed up on my hard drive and i was using 4x(only option) for speed. It turns out that Nero also does not like my Verbatim discs and fails the burn process shortly after writing the "L0 Data Zone Capacity". I won't post the full log unless requested due to length, but i'll post some lines below:

3:35:06 PM #23 Phase 36 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1767

Burn process started at 4x (5,540 KB/s)

3:35:06 PM #24 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 2733

Verifying disc position of item 0 (relocatable, disc pos, no patch infos, orig at #0): write at #0

3:35:06 PM #25 Text 0 File DVDPlusDualLayer.cpp, Line 745

L0 Data Zone Capacity set to 2026320 (1EEB50h, 3957MB) -> OK, confirmed setting

3:35:06 PM #26 CDR -1205 File DVDPlusDualLayer.cpp, Line 772

Burning Layer 1

3:35:06 PM #27 Text 0 File DVDPlusDualLayer.cpp, Line 782

Start writing layer 1 at address 0 (0h)

Recording mode: unknown Recording Mode

3:35:06 PM #28 Text 0 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 10161

---- Disc Structure: Physical Format Information (00h) ----

Media Type: 0, Layer: 0, Address: 0 (0 h), AGID: 0; Length: 2050

Book Type: DVD+R DL (14), Part Version: 1.0x (1)

Disc Size: 120 mm, Maximum Transfer Rate: <not specified> (F h)

Number of Layers: 2, Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP), Layer Type: recordable

Linear Density: 0,293 um/bit, Track Density: 0,74 um/track

Starting Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 30000 h (DVD-ROM, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW)

End Physical Sector Number of Data Area: FCFFFF h

Data in Burst Cutting Area (BCA) does not exist

Disc Application Code: 0 / 0 h

Extended Information indicators: 0 h

Disc Manufacturer ID: MKM.....

Media type ID: 001

Product revision number: 0

Number of Physical format information bytes in use in ADIP up to byte 63: 64

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3:35:06 PM #29 Text 0 File DVDR.cpp, Line 6611

Drive: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LP20

Book Type request [LG]: DVD-ROM

Changing the Book Type was finished successfully, return code 0

3:35:06 PM #30 CDR -1211 File DVDR.cpp, Line 6528

Book Type set to: DVD-ROM

3:35:06 PM #31 Text 0 File DVDPlusRW.cpp, Line 675

Start write address at LBA 0

DVD high compatibility mode: Yes

3:35:06 PM #32 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 268

Pipe memory size 83836800

3:39:00 PM #33 SPTI -1135 File SCSIPassThrough.cpp, Line 181

CdRom0: SCSIStatus(x02) WinError(0) NeroError(-1135)

Sense Key: 0x03 (KEY_MEDIUM_ERROR)

Sense Code: 0x0C

Sense Qual: 0x80

CDB Data: 0x2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 00

Sense Area: 0x70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 80

Buffer x09030040: Len x10000

0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

3:39:00 PM #34 CDR -1135 File Writer.cpp, Line 306

Write error

D: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LP20

3:39:00 PM #35 Phase 127 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1767

Generating DVD high compatibility borders

3:39:00 PM #36 Text 0 File DVDPlusRW.cpp, Line 935

EndDAO: Last written address 0

3:39:00 PM #37 Phase 129 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1767

Generating DVD borders completed successfully

3:39:00 PM #38 Phase 38 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1767

Burn process failed at 4x (5,540 KB/s)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After all these coasters, it looks like either these Verbatim discs don't like my burner/firmware. Or the discs themselves could be faulty since they always seem to fail at the first sector. But one thing i now know for sure. ImgBurn is not the problem and the combination of my drive and discs is. When my friend is back, i will ask him to burn something on his burner using my spindle of Verbatim discs. Then for sure i'll know if it's a bad batch or not. Big thanks to all who have contributed so far.

Ifthey are genine Verbs,its unlikely there fauly. Verbs have a pretty good consistency, hence why we rcommend them.

It looks like you will have to hang on for a firmwware update from LG. LG are pretty quick with udates on newer models.

2.4x +R Verbs MIS, are the most consistent dual layer disc there is, even new writers with fast write strategies normally write to them without problems.............thats why we recomend them .

I've had a quick look, and it seems you already have the latest firmware v1.02, so be patient grasshopper

The only reason I am giving this tip, is from reading your posts, you seem like the kind of person who will do thorough research before making your own decision whether to use or not use something. I would like you to Google, keywords, Media Code Speed Edit (MCSE) for LG writers. What you find, please read & digest completely.

• 4 weeks later...

soup2nuts: WAY COOL !!! i had no idea you could do such thing to burners and burn mediums. This is worth investigating if volvofl10 isn't correct in saying that a newer version of firmware is on the way. If i had known such things were possible, i would have attempted this before making so many Verbatium coasters.

To those who haven't googled "Media Code Speed Edit", its simply allows you to edit the media codes of burn media for your DVD writers firmware. If i understand soup2nuts correctly, he's saying i should use this software and attempt to change Verbatium media code and have it tell my DVD writer to burn the media at 2.4x and not the current default of 4x. This is a great idea but will require some testing before i can confirm if it works or not.

For those of you who have been following my posts, in terms of my batch of Verbatims being bad. I can now confirm that the discs are perfectly fine and burn perfectly fine at 2.4x or higher on my friends burner. It looks like the discs were fine and that both versions of the firmware i've tried on my burner cause problems when trying to burn these discs. So i guess the lesson for the future is to use 2.4x Verbatium Singapore discs when your burner is advertised as supporting 2.4x. Since my burner was listed as 4x-22x, buying these discs @ $3 a pop wasn't a solution to my problem.

Thanks again to all who have contributed to this thread. ImgBurn for the win!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.