Booktype not being set to -ROM instead of +R DL

HiBob

Hey all, I started burning with ImgBurn with Verbatim's media (MKM ... 001) and I have been having one issue,

it is that I noticed the discs I burnt were set to +R DL, but when I had originally flashed my NEC 3540A to 1.W8 (liggy and dee's) firmware, I had set the default booktype for all +R media (R/RW/DL) to -ROM.

After I noticed that the discs (6 of them or so) were burnt using the +R DL booktype, I tried to set the booktype to -ROM (it said successful) but then I burnt another disc and it's +R DL,

so I have no clue wtf is going on here.....

The 3540A is attached over USB (in a usb enclosure), is there something wrong with the firmware or is this an imgburn issue?

Thanks,

HiBob

ImgBurn doesn't touch the booktype stuff unless you specifically sit there and do it yourself.

If they're not burning as DVDROM, I would guess another program has reset that setting on your burner. Just do it again.

thanks, I know this, as I stated I did it specifically in imgburn.

anyways, turns out it was still telling me the type of disc (DVD +R DL), but the disc's booktypes are in fact DVD-ROM, thanks in any case!

So here I am, after all of my reading and research, feeling like I have missed or misinterpreted something V-E-R-R-Y basic :blush: . I have a Lite-on SOHW-1633S (flashed CSOT to make it a 1653S) which I always thought did not support bitsetting (the same as changing booktype??).

I have been burning TYG03's and RITEK G05's (both DVD-R) with very good results & play on anything. Today I ran into a problem "backing up" The Ring Two. It burned fine, verified fine & looked good on DVD Info Pro, but wouldn't play on my PC (Power DVD) or my APEX standalone (which has always played EVERYTHING (!) ), but played in my Pioneer standalone, which has always been picky :ermm: . So off I go, back to my reliable friends at Imgburn, to read some more and find

If they're not burning as DVDROM, I would guess another program has reset that setting on your burner. Just do it again.

Sooo... I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be trying to set to DVD-ROM, is this for DVD+R, am I wasting my time trying to bitset this burner, or wtf?

I tried changing the booktype on the next burn to DVD-ROM, and it said that it was successful, did one more burn, and the same results.

post-2419-1140318230_thumb.jpg

So here I am, after all of my reading and research, feeling like I have missed or misinterpreted something V-E-R-R-Y basic :blush: . I have a Lite-on SOHW-1633S (flashed CSOT to make it a 1653S) which I always thought did not support bitsetting (the same as changing booktype??).

I have been burning TYG03's and RITEK G05's (both DVD-R) with very good results & play on anything. Today I ran into a problem "backing up" The Ring Two. It burned fine, verified fine & looked good on DVD Info Pro, but wouldn't play on my PC (Power DVD) or my APEX standalone (which has always played EVERYTHING (!) ), but played in my Pioneer standalone, which has always been picky :ermm: . So off I go, back to my reliable friends at Imgburn, to read some more and find

Sooo... I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be trying to set to DVD-ROM, is this for DVD+R, am I wasting my time trying to bitset this burner, or wtf?

I tried changing the booktype on the next burn to DVD-ROM, and it said that it was successful, did one more burn, and the same results.

post-2419-1140318230_thumb.jpg

-R is the most unsupported "booktype" media out there. You cannot with -R media set the booktype to anything else other than -R this is because with -R media, the booktype is already on the media.

To burn dvd's with support for "picky players" such as your Pioneer standalone, you need + media where you can set the booktype (either +R or -ROM), which is then written to the +R/+R RW/+R DL (unlinke -R media which already has -R on the blank media).

Hope this helps, as so to answer you question about wasting your time: yes, trying to set the bitsetting aka booktype with -R media is a waste

HiBob, I appreciate the clarification. The only thing that seems strange is that when I first started burning, I got (+) media (which my burner is supposed to support) and had very little luck on the Pioneer. I then heard from many sources that (-) media was better and I have since used nothing else, getting good results on all players.

I'm going to redo that ISO file and try again. I may have a clue as to what happened. When I encoded the file (using Shrink), there was a write failure (my first in quite a while), but I found that another program had been running in the background, and must have been running while the file was encoding (sorry, failed to mention that one). The file is probably corrupt in some way.

Otherwise, it is just a new encryption I'll have to deal with and won't discuss here :pirate:

With older stand alone DVD players DVD-R is the most compatible and the reasons for this are purely historical. DVD-R got there first and is more likely to be supported in older machines than the newer DVD+R.

The majority of recent players support both types and when bitsetting is used the +/- debate is now rendered somewhat academic.

Bitsetting is used to fool the DVD player into thinking that the DVD+R is in fact the older DVD-ROM format. For certain players this can improve compatibility and should be in my view the default way to burn +Rs even if you personally have no difficulties yourself.

It's best to make your DVDs as compatible as possible as you may have unforseen problems when you change your player at a later date.

Bitsetting is not necessary and indeed unsupported on the DVD-R format. In theory it's not possible although it can be accomplished in certain circumstances with the aid of some devious tricks but does not improve compatibility.

The Liteon 1653S will support bitsetting via patched firmware if you're interested check out the Omnipatcher thread at CD Freaks.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=97590

Don't worry it's not as daunting as it first seems. :)

I see you've already crossflashed your drive so you already have all the skills you need. Run the firmware of your choice through Omnipatcher, select the bitsetting options you require, then flash as before.

I hope this helps.

Nemesis

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.