Snow

dbminter

So, I understand London's had it's worst snow storm in like 18 years recently? I, too, have had my share of troubles with ice. :cold: My power was off for 5 days after sheets of ice blanketed everything. It's been called the worst natural disaster in the history of the state. 250,000 people are still without power and some are not expected to get it back until mid month.

if we have half an inch of snow here ( UK) the country comes to a stop. Whereas our neighbours *spit* France are fully equipped to deal with such weather, and carry on a normal , likewise the Swiss/Germans/Austrians/Italians all spend money on equipment to clear snow.

London doesnt usually get snow as its a large city. guess its something to do with the heat a city generates. it does get snow occasionally, but it doesnt usually settle there.

I rememeber when i was a kid we used toi have snow 2-3 foot deep most winters, and everything carried on as normal, nowadays though, because we dont get much snow in the winter ( and people are not used to it as a yearly thing anymore), everything seems to just stop

then you get the MP's saying its not worth spending millions on snow shifting equipment to only use it once a year in every 5-6 years and then the Clown from the Confederation of British Industry claims the city lost 350 million pounds of buisness due to the weather yesterday !!

/me thinks 350 million would buy a lot of snow ploughs and salt for the roads :rolleyes: .......and have change =))

yea, we had some snow, nothing major but probably the worst for a few years, but it wasnt anywhere near as bad as you had it db . Oh and the only thing in London thats losing power was the government :rolleyes: .wish they was without power for a month.

and a for you Blu..dont forget the sun cream :whistling: it saves you getting frostbite =))

Talk about being the yin'yang of the weather. :teehee:

At the gym the personal trainers were complaining that all their appointments had canceled. One female trainer from abroad said we Brits were a bunch of effeminate nancy boys still needing to be breast fed.

Christ, it was like reading a blutach post.

Driving into town I lost control turning left and carried straight on. Its amazing how fast people can move when they need to. All good fun...

+43C wow! - won't be visiting you for a while...

At the gym the personal trainers were complaining that all their appointments had canceled. One female trainer from abroad said we Brits were a bunch of effeminate nancy boys still needing to be breast fed.

Aren't you? :D

Regards

Perhaps you should meet her if you're looking for wife no 3 is it?

More snow and the country grinds to a halt. What a place - least it stops people talking about the credit crunch or banks going under. And Ford & GM just put their prices up. Recession? What's that?

You're right volvo - we're just not prepared for it.

Think I'll walk to work - professor in a parlor house isn't much but it pays the bills... :thumbup:

Got 13" of powder snow around me yesterday, we got about 8" total from Tue thru Wed, and temp was -1f at 4:30 this am when I was driving to work. Road salt will not work below about +18f and calcium chloride stops at about +11f so there was ice and snow on all the City, State and Interstate roadways today.

Looking for a high of about +28f today, low of +18f tonight and it's going above freezing tomorrow and will be in the lower 50's by Tuesday. Rain is expected to start Saturday on top of the 18" of snow and ice we have on the ground right now...so...flooding of the iced in rivers, lowlands and runoff systems should start Monday followed by fracturing water mains under the city streets and chuck holes that you can lose the front end of your car in if you're not careful.

And Lake Erie is frozen over so we're getting all of our snow from up North by way of Canada and Michigan...

I hate winter... I hate snow... I hate ice... I hate cold... I hate Fall because Winter is coming...I hate Spring because...right after Summer...Fall shows up and WInter is right on its' ass...

The only thing that keeps me sane is that walleye season is coming in a few months and I can get out on the lake and pretend Fall isn't around the corner.

Aren't you? :D

Regards

you think I'm a nancy boy ?? !!! ..................Give us a kiss and I'll tell you :o:lol:

'kin hell. It hit 46.4 today - a new record! For you yanks, that is more than 115 degrees. One place not far away recorded 48 degrees (+118F)

On top of that, we had a howling hot north wind gusting at 70 kph (45 mph). Geez.

Regards

Dunno how you put up with it - Oz supposed to be the hottest place on the planet right now.

Take care of yourself mate - you may be a cantankerous old bastich, but the place wouldn't be the same without ya.

Also watch out for dingos and blue ringed octopus.

Congrats to all concerned for Firmware HQ!

'kin hell. It hit 46.4 today - a new record! For you yanks, that is more than 115 degrees. One place not far away recorded 48 degrees (+118F)

Regards

I used to live in Phoenix, Arizona, so, I, too, know what it's like to get 120 degree temperatures. :heat:

Along with that we have had incredible bushfires - this is the worst natural disaster Australia has ever seen (and some of those fires were deliberately lit - see here).

More than 170 dead so far, with projections up to 250. 750 homes lost and 3,500 people without a place to stay. Whole towns wiped off the map - not a shred of evidence that they were there. More than 300,000 hectares burning (and still going).

It's just horrible. And, for a comparison, read this.

Regards

@spinner

Kinglake and St Andrew are about 20 minutes from me - many people died there and the towns are in ruins. Healsville is about 30 minutes away, but it seems the town (and its wildlife sanctuary) are OK. Marysville and Buxton are about 45 minutes away and they have been wiped off the map. Whittlesea is also just 30 minutes away and 1,000 people there are without a home. People are living in tent towns.

@AC - there is a suggestion that when they catch these fuckers, they should be taken to the Coroner and made to view the bodies. I couldn't agree more.

Regards

Blu;

:pray: Praying that the fires get contained soon :pray:

Cynthia;

As far as arson, it is a sexually driven crime committed by sociopaths that need to find release in the chaos and pain inflicted upon real property and their fellow humans.

Blu;

Screw that making them look at the bodies crap, that's what they wanted to create. A quick 2 in the back of the skull and an open lime pit to throw them in works wonders though...

if we have half an inch of snow here ( UK) the country comes to a stop. Whereas our neighbours *spit* France are fully equipped to deal with such weather, and carry on a normal , likewise the Swiss/Germans/Austrians/Italians all spend money on equipment to clear snow.

London doesnt usually get snow as its a large city. guess its something to do with the heat a city generates. it does get snow occasionally, but it doesnt usually settle there.

I rememeber when i was a kid we used toi have snow 2-3 foot deep most winters, and everything carried on as normal, nowadays though, because we dont get much snow in the winter ( and people are not used to it as a yearly thing anymore), everything seems to just stop

then you get the MP's saying its not worth spending millions on snow shifting equipment to only use it once a year in every 5-6 years and then the Clown from the Confederation of British Industry claims the city lost 350 million pounds of buisness due to the weather yesterday !!

/me thinks 350 million would buy a lot of snow ploughs and salt for the roads :rolleyes: .......and have change =))...

I have a friend who lives in France and they not as equipped as the British media would have you think. Point is that is unnaccpetable to have the country come to a stand still and worse still to compare our problems like it makes a difference or account for deficiencies. This "passing the buck" mentality is typical of politicians who blame councils and vice versa. Like u said it doesn cost that much to upkeep some gritting machines on the chance that it might snow.

UK has been hit hardest by the economic slowdown so to lose 2-3 days of business in this kind of "climate" has forced smaller companies to to shut down.

If it was my company that went bust, id want some people in Government and my local council to lose there jobs as well.

Also funny how we measure snow in inches. Countries like Canada measure in Feet hehe.

Edited by Rubicant

Spinner - you are not the only person suggesting that! I have 20 million fellow citizens who agree with you.

We had some fires here about 25 years ago - they called it Ash Wednesday (google it). All I can tell you is these fires last weekend make Ash Wednesday look like a backyard BBQ. It is just so horrible to know that when these fires are finally put out and emergency teams can finally come in to survey and clean up the damage, even more innocent people will be found dead.

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.