"Test Mode" reporting fake coasters of my DVDs w/ SATA error

smu johnson

I have edited this, but it's still a problem...?

I've read archived forum posts, people having the same problem. Now I'm getting it. I got a SATA DVD burner, and I keep getting this damn error.

I 02:30:18 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 02:30:18 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 02:30:18 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,616 KB - Available: 1,650,244 KB

I 02:30:18 Initialising SPTI...

I 02:30:18 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 02:30:18 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

Edited by smu johnson

I 02:33:13 Destination Device: [2:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS10 EL01 (E:) (ATA)

I 02:33:13 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: RITEKF1) (Speeds: 4x, 8x, 16x)

I 02:33:13 Destination Media Sectors: 2,297,888

Could the fact that it's saying ATA and not SATA / SCSI be the problem? (hides under pillow)

Could it also be that your drive thinks that the crappy:

Manufacturer ID: RITEKF1

Are:

Disc ID: 0@P-!-00

which makes no sense and points out that you need to change to a decent disc like a Verbatim ( Made in Singapore ) or a Taiyo Yuden.

Looks like a driver issue to me.

Nvidia controller perhaps?

The program is getting bogus error codes from your drive/system so if you fix that, ImgBurn will work just fine.

I have an nvidia controller, a while back I installed the drivers in this package: 15.23_nforce_winxp32_international_whql

If you have any hints as to what direction I should go down, I'd be very grateful. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the fan on the north/south bridge fan quit working, and its usually quite hot. Other than this DVD-ROM not getting the ATIP data properly, I haven't really noticed any other performance issues... just thought I'd be honest.

Thanks again... and great software.

Install Ner0 ASPI (available at ImgBurn's Download page) and switch the interface to ASPI in ImgBurn's settings (I/O tab). That should work for now.

As for that Disc ID, that's common for DVD-R media and isn't a problem. What's important is that the drive recognized the media (RITEKF1) and shows available write speeds for it (4x, 8x, 16x in your case).

If I'm not mistaken, the nforce drivers are for your graphics card and shouldn't affect anything.

You may have nvidia motherboard drivers, too (I do and all works well, but not for some people).

Install the WNASPI as mmalves said.

But more than anything else, switch to Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim media.

Regards

Looks like a driver issue to me.

Nvidia controller perhaps?

The program is getting bogus error codes from your drive/system so if you fix that, ImgBurn will work just fine.

1. Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum

2. Thanks for all of you being so helpful. (perhaps this Nero ASPI thing could be added to a FAQ, if it hasn't already?)

3. Lightning UK, the NERO thing they suggested fixed the problem, but did not change the strange looking "Disc ID: 0@P-!-00", yet still burns at the speed it's susposed to say. What do you make of it?

4. I have some Taiyo Yudens at work, as I am kicking myself as I have 150 or so DVD-Rs that I need to somehow get rid of. Any suggestions on how to do that without giving me the feeling that I wasted my money completely?

3. Lightning UK, the NERO thing they suggested fixed the problem, but did not change the strange looking "Disc ID: 0@P-!-00", yet still burns at the speed it's susposed to say. What do you make of it?

Don't worry about it. Sometimes (particualrly older) drives can't read info for -R discs all that well. See mmalves's answer above.

4. I have some Taiyo Yudens at work, as I am kicking myself as I have 150 or so DVD-Rs that I need to somehow get rid of. Any suggestions on how to do that without giving me the feeling that I wasted my money completely?

No. But frisbees (watch out for heads slicing off :D), (real life) coasters (if you can decorate), presents for not so good friends etc. might allieviate some of the "pain".

And, I trust the "ones at work" do not belong to "work". That would be (petty) theft if you took them and quite possibly might put your job at risk (I know the stationery cupboard is considered fair game but it isn't!).

Regards

And, I trust the "ones at work" do not belong to "work". That would be (petty) theft if you took them and quite possibly might put your job at risk (I know the stationery cupboard is considered fair game but it isn't!).

Thankfully they are actually mine, I bought a 100 pack and didnt realize that certain places sell them quite cheap... I keep them at work I burn stuff there too... There are mine and not works, thankfully.

If my work (or any place I worked) bought Taiyo Yudens on their own, I'd be very impressed!

Then it's easy! Take the shit Ritek media to work - where they should have a decent data backup strategy in place anyway - and bring your valuable TY's home!

Regards

That's a damn good idea. My brother usually deals with office backups. Even still I'll just "donate" them to work as it will make me feel less stupid about wasting money on busted DVD-Rs.

By the way, I see that there are recommendations with getting Verbatim. I will throw my two cents in here and say that that advice should be given with caution, as Verbatim has used a whole range of SHIT -> GOOD spectrum quality DVDs...

Whereas Taiyo Yuden itself is the manufacturer, you are always guaranteed to get "the good stuff".

Am I wrong? I have found a pack of Verbatims to be made in Taiwan and I think it was either CMC or some other bugger ass production...

Edited by smu johnson

I have found a pack of Verbatims to be made in Taiwan and I think it was either CMC or some other bugger ass production...

Just my 2 cents here but:

Genuine Verbs made in Taiwan/Singapore have never given me a problem. If they are CMC or other dye lots, odds are they are mostly fakes as Verbatim uses AZO dye and I believe they hold the rights to it if I'm not mistaken.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.