IMGBURN always opens multiple "handles"????

slipkid

I have a question about the "locked volume" error, which occurs fairly often on my PC with IMGBURN.

Since I know that I have no other processes running accessing the drive(s) other than IMGBURN, to clear the error I just exit IMGBURN and restart it and then things are fine (until it decides to happen again later for unknown reasons).

I've read the FAQ regarding this issue and have examined things on my PC with both Process Explorer and Unlocker, both when the problem occurs and when IMGBURN works normally.

What I've noticed on my PC is that when IMGBURN is NOT giving the error, while it is actively writing it always creates 2 seperate "handles" (both same PID# and identified as process "IMGBURN") accessing my DVD drive that it is writing to. When the program is at rest it only has one "handle" though.

But when the crazy locked volume error happens there are at least FOUR seperate IMGBURN applications running with the same PID and different handles.

I can get around the problem when it happens by exiting IMGBURN & restarting it (or selecting the "Continue" choice to just go ahead and burn anyways) but I'm very curious as to what this problem is due to or if there is anything that I can do on my PC to fix this? I am running WinXP SP2. This same problem used to happen with SP1, and has happened on all 3 of the drives I've used. Not a big deal, but it is an annoyance that I'd like to solve if possible.

here is an example IMGBURN log when the problem recently occured:

>>>>>>

I 15:10:25 Average Write Rate: 10,497 KB/s (7.6x) - Maximum Write Rate: 11,443 KB/s (8.3x)

I 15:11:59 Operation Started!

I 15:11:59 Building Image Tree...

I 15:12:00 Checking Directory Depth...

I 15:12:00 Calculating Totals...

I 15:12:00 Preparing Image...

I 15:12:00 Checking Path Length...

I 15:12:00 Contents: 63 Files, 2 Folders

I 15:12:00 Size: 4,503,171,072 bytes

I 15:12:00 Sectors: 2,198,814

I 15:12:00 Image Size: 4,503,863,296 bytes

I 15:12:00 Image Sectors: 2,199,152

I 15:12:01 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:02

I 15:12:01 Operation Started!

I 15:12:01 Source File: -==/\/[bUILD IMAGE]\/\==-

I 15:12:01 Source File Sectors: 2,199,152 (MODE1/2048)

I 15:12:01 Source File Size: 4,503,863,296 bytes

I 15:12:01 Source File Volume Identifier: 0417F

I 15:12:01 Source File Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.4.2.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!

I 15:12:01 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn

I 15:12:01 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 15:12:01 Destination Device: [1:0:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D 1.22 (Z:) (ATA)

I 15:12:01 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: MCC-004-00) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x, 20x)

I 15:12:01 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104

I 15:12:01 Write Mode: DVD

I 15:12:01 Write Type: Incremental

I 15:12:01 Write Speed: 8x

I 15:12:01 DVD+R Reserve Track: No

I 15:12:01 Link Size: Auto

I 15:12:01 Test Mode: No

I 15:12:01 OPC: Yes

I 15:12:01 BURN-Proof: Enabled

E 15:16:15 Failed to lock volume for exclusive access.

E 15:16:15 Reason: Access is denied.

E 15:16:17 Operation Aborted! - Duration: 00:04:13

I 15:16:17 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

I 15:16:18 Close Request Acknowledged

I 15:16:18 Closing Down...

I 15:16:18 Shutting down SPTI...

I 15:16:18 ImgBurn closed!

<<<<<<<<

Thanks for any clues!

See if you can figure out anything specific you're doing (i.e. some sequence of events) that makes ImgBurn randomly have 4 handles on the go.

I can burn from a queue all day long and not run into that problem so it must be something more complex than that.

See if you can figure out anything specific you're doing (i.e. some sequence of events) that makes ImgBurn randomly have 4 handles on the go.

I can burn from a queue all day long and not run into that problem so it must be something more complex than that.

The only thing(s) I can think of off top of my head is that when I use IMGBURN for burning DVDs it is after I have a bunch of stuff piled up that I want to burn. All the directories that correspond to each DVD are usually all subdirectories of the same parent directory. I burn one after the other with the build function, taking out the burned discs and replacing them with new ones, then selecting the next target subdir to burn then tell it to go once the prompt indicates the drive is ready.

I notice that the drive spins up with each new disc that I put in. I sometimes click "OK" after each disc is done THEN put in a new disc and other times I replace the disc first then click OK (depending on if I am in front of the keyboard or in front of the PC replacing the disc).

Somewhere along that sequence IMGBURN then gives me the locked volume error message.

Maybe I need to slow down as far as clicking OK, changing the discs, starting the next one? Should I wait until after the drive sounds like it finishes spinning before moving on??

I haven't been able to pin any one thing down as what causes this - sometimes I can burn 10+ discs in this fashion without the error coming up. Other times I keep getting plagued by it. I'll try to keep my behavior one specific way and try it & see what happens (clicking OK before putting in the new disc vs. changing the disc then clicking OK etc).

THANKS!

So basically, you're getting the locking issue when using Build mode (and nothing but Build mode).

I assume 'Output' is always set on 'Device' ?

And you're only burning single copies?

"YES" to all 3 questions Lightning.

Could this be some kind of XP issue on my PC? I should mention that my PC also frequently has problems with thinking that large AVI type files, or the directories that hold them, are "open" even when they are not and then give me problems trying to delete them. I have to either reboot, use unlock, or GIPO utilities moveonboot to fix things when that happens. I would love to know how to turn off the XP function that "sniffs" files when you hover over them since I believe this issue is related to that feature of the operating system (almost ALWAYS if I try to delete a large AVI the opsys will not let me, but if I hover over it long enough to have it add the file information on the bottom of the screen I can THEN delete it, but not before - and even when doing that, sometimes it won't let me delete it, no matter what, unless i reboot/unlock/etc).

I have the exact same problem described with the Locked Volume...

This is what I noticed so far in situation when it occures:

Most of the time I use just Burn Image to disc or Build mode with Device set as target in both modes

1.When write more than one disc in a row and change the disc before clicking OK on the previous succesful burn and

2 When switching between this two modes after burn one or more disc in one mode than switch to other mode.

So far only in this two situation it give me the error when only ImgBurn accesing the disc.

I experienced sometimes that Internet Explorer have an effect of capturing the device when I visit IMDB, don't know why...

Hope this will help in solving this annoying little problem.

Good Luck, LUK!

The next time either of you two run into this issue, please get a screenshot of process explorer or unlocker showing what's accessing the drive and also copy + paste everything from the log window for that entire ImgBurn session.

ImgBurn is definitely opening and closing the handles where it should do (under normal usage) so it must be some really odd combination of events to cause this problem.

Until it can be reproduced with any sort of consistency, there's nothing I can do about it.

The next time either of you two run into this issue, please get a screenshot of process explorer or unlocker showing what's accessing the drive and also copy + paste everything from the log window for that entire ImgBurn session.

ImgBurn is definitely opening and closing the handles where it should do (under normal usage) so it must be some really odd combination of events to cause this problem.

Until it can be reproduced with any sort of consistency, there's nothing I can do about it.

Yes, I understand, thanks for looking into it so far though. It is hard to reproduce, only seems to happen to me when I don't want it to (of course that is always the way with hard to diagnose PC problems). Today I burned about 7 discs in a row and it didn't happen at all. A couple days ago it cropped up when I burned 3 discs.....

I do have a screen shot of the problem back from when I first posted the other day, from Process Explorer, that I will attach here. Don't think it will be very useful though.

I'll try to document it more thoroughly with PE & Unlocker, IMGBURN logs, etc, next time. Thanks again for this great program and your time in the forums. This unlocker problem is annoying but not a big deal (exiting IMGBURN and coming back in fixes it everytime for me so far; also although I can't remember for sure I think if I just tell it to "continue" anyway it just goes ahead and seems to work ok - I usually exit though).

post-15494-1236626909_thumb.jpg

You're not aborting the verify part of a burn by any chance are you? But it would have to be before the verify actually starts - i.e. when it's cycling the tray.

If you do that, it is (or now 'was') possible for ImgBurn to not close the MCN (media control notification) handle or do some other little 'clean up' functions.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back up here since having the problem now & will capture some logs etc.

Saw this post that I'll reply to first:

You're not aborting the verify part of a burn by any chance are you? But it would have to be before the verify actually starts - i.e. when it's cycling the tray.

I'm not aborting out of verify or anything like that. Just doing a bunch of Build/write commands in succession.

Here's what happened this time when I got the error. I burned 10 discs in a row with no problems. All came from using Build command on different directory trees on same hard drive. Then on the eleventh disc I got the locked volume error message. There are no other programs that are trying to access the drive.

In IMGBURN I have the eject tray option on by default and for this disc I know that I had leaned over the PC and took out the burned DVD and put in a new one BEFORE I had clicked on the OK prompt acknowledging the previous disc. Don't know if that has anything to do with anything because sometimes I do it this way, whereas other times I click on that prompt first b4 putting in DVD for next burn, but am just mentioning that since I see it is the case now.

Both Unlocker and Process Explorer show IMGBURN with 5 open handles on the drive now during the problem. I am pasting in a copy of Unlocker's screen; that program shows the handle numbers (Process Exp only shows the PID).

After I clicked the CANCEL option in IMGBURN one of those handles closed (#752), and it now shows as having 4 open handles (one of them closed). Am attaching Unlocker's screen of that.

Then after trying to burn again, I get the same error. Looking again in Unlocker, it shows that handle #752 has opened again, giving IMGBURN 5 handles open.

At this point I am closing IMGBURN, then restarting it. After IMGBURN is running and has spun up the drive after I close the door with a new disc loaded, I checked the same drive with Unlocker, prior to telling IMBURN to do anything, and it shows no open handles on the drive with any program.

I am now going into BUILD mode and selecting the same directory to burn as b4. Checking with Unlocker again, IMGBURN now has one handle open on the drive.

After then starting the burn, checking with Unlocker again shows IMGBURN with 2 handles open.

After the burn completed, I checked Unlocker again and this time it showed no handles open. Went back into BUILD mode and selected another dir to burn, and checked again with Unlocker and it showed 1 handle open. Then started burn, and can see 2 handles again.

Hope any of this is helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions/insights or tests I should try to further diagnose. Again, this is not a big deal, but is a minor annoyance that I would love to know how to avoid if possible. Am on 3rd disc right now after exiting/restarting and the problem has not reoccured. It happens to me sporadically and I still can't pin down why.

Here is the complete IMGBURN log, showing the first successful burns then the locked volume error (twice) after which I then exited the program:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Wednesday, 18 March 2009, 17:56:16

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 14:44:44 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 14:44:44 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 14:44:44 Total Physical Memory: 1,047,564 KB - Available: 570,212 KB

I 14:44:44 Initialising SPTI...

I 14:44:44 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 14:44:45 Found 1 DVD

post-15494-1237415458_thumb.jpg

post-15494-1237415469_thumb.jpg

post-15494-1237415482_thumb.jpg

post-15494-1237415490_thumb.jpg

post-15494-1237415498_thumb.jpg

Edited by slipkid

Finaly I find some time to investigate more into this situation of lock volume acces - multiple handle open...

This is the log that ImgBurn produced to that investigate session...

I 20:51:10 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 20:51:10 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 20:51:10 Total Physical Memory: 2.095.532 KB - Available: 956.048 KB

I 20:51:10 Initialising SPTI...

I 20:51:10 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:51:10 Found 1 DVD-ROM, 1 DVD

post-13872-1237660501_thumb.png

Can you please check that when the 'Operation Successfully Completed!' box is on the screen, there are no open handles to the drive (there shouldn't be).

And when you've inserted the next disc and clicked 'ok' to then end up back at the main Build screen there's just 1 handle open.

There should still be 1 when the build info screen comes up after you've clicked the big 'Build' (start) button.

During the burn (or an erase) there should be 2.

Do you start a new ImgBurn or are you just running one instance of the program?

My disc is not ejected until I press the OK button that shows up after the burn, but your's? Or are you manually pressing the eject button on the tray?

Now it's strange, seems like it's happenning randomly from time to time, not always...

From last time that I post, even if I do the exact same steps, can't reproduce it again.

@LUK! - The situation is like you expected,

1. No handle opened with 'Operation Successfully Completed!' box on screen

2. When disc inserted and back in Build mode only one handle opened

3. Two handles when Burn

For time, only can think that maybe I'm moving fast with the disc change, click Ok, delete previous disc content and load the next files in the time when the disc is spinning and checked and maybe in this time there may be 2 handles opend but in the time needed to check the hadles they get close properly.

Let me investigate more, and I'll post back, if I got news.

If you have some hints what should and how I should do just let me know.

Thanks for patience in assisting!

@Cynthia

I ran only one instance of ImgBurn

My disc is ejected before I press OK because it is set to Eject Disc after Burn in Settings, I'm not manualy ejecting the tray.

I stated it in my post...

You have to set Eject Disc after Burn to be able to change the disc before Click OK at Previous Succesful Burn.

I tried to reproduce it myself using the steps you provide but was unable to.

I tried inserting the disc and clicking ok straight away, I also tried inserting the disc... waiting a while and then clicking ok.

Until there's a fool proof way to reproduce it 100% of the time, I don't think it's something I can fix.

I tried to reproduce it myself using the steps you provide but was unable to.

I tried inserting the disc and clicking ok straight away, I also tried inserting the disc... waiting a while and then clicking ok.

Until there's a fool proof way to reproduce it 100% of the time, I don't think it's something I can fix.

THX, this is a tough one to nail down, it is not reproducable at all, so I understand.

I can burn 20-30 disc without it happening. Then next day I might burn 5 (or 10 like what happened to last time) and then it crops up. Exiting IMGBURN seems to get it back to a clean slate. The only other thing I can thing of to mention is that it never happens with burning CDs (where I use Write mode). I occasionally have a couple ISO files for DVDs to burn in Write mode and I don't recall it ever happening there either. Just with folders to burn to DVD in Build mode.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.