Absurd interface of ImgBurn

PABB

I went to ImgBurn only because I cannot burn on cd or DVD files witjh characters greek or cyrillic , that is using unicode. So I was told that it was possible with your programm. But it is a strange program : ther is NO file browser, there is no window to display how much room I am using and how many more files I can add !! I tried the window in the zone Build , but after adding only one folder, the program begun immediately burning my DVD !!! Shit, I lost a DVD ! But I will have to understand how your COMPLICATED mind present the program because I need to burn those files on DVD.

CAn't you present the program as all other burning ones , with browser windows which shgow both the source and the destination when we construct a project ?????? Shit

Your OS already has a perfectly decent file browser... it's called 'Explorer'.

ImgBurn's build mode is basic by design. It's for burning an existing folder structure on your hdd really, not creating a new one with folder/files from all over the shop.

Oh and I can't imagine that it started burning the dvd automatically after adding one folder... that's impossible unless YOU click the 'Write' / 'Build' button.

But it is a strange program : ther is NO file browser,

Browsing for files and folders works fine for me. Check the ImgBurn logs. You'll probably find something like this:

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.9 Beta - Log

; Sunday, 15 February 2009, 10:57:14

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 10:52:54 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.9 Beta started!

I 10:52:54 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 10:52:54 Total Physical Memory: 3,634,212 KB - Available: 2,335,696 KB

I 10:52:14 Halfwit at keyboard...

I 10:57:14 Closing Down...

I 10:57:14 Shutting down SPTI...

I 10:57:14 ImgBurn closed!

there is no window to display how much room I am using and how many more files I can add !!

That's what the calculator is for. This might seem a bit personal but did you have an anal birth?

I tried the window in the zone Build , but after adding only one folder, the program begun immediately burning my DVD !!!

Look again at your logs. I'm sure it'll say you're an idiot.

Shit, I lost a DVD !

This is truly tragic. That DVD must have cost you almost 40 cents. I suppose you could always try to recover your losses by auctioning off your spare penis. Nobody gets this stupid by playing with just one.

But I will have to understand how your COMPLICATED mind present the program because I need to burn those files on DVD.

How is it complicated? It's dead easy. I suggest trading in your PC and purchasing something more suited to your level of expertise. Something involving chronic and frequent masturbation would seem the logical choice.

CAn't you present the program as all other burning ones , with browser windows which shgow both the source and the destination when we construct a project ?????? Shit

Don't like it? Don't use it. This concept is fairly simple, much like yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
I went to ImgBurn only because I cannot burn on cd or DVD files witjh characters greek or cyrillic , that is using unicode. So I was told that it was possible with your programm. But it is a strange program : ther is NO file browser, there is no window to display how much room I am using and how many more files I can add !! I tried the window in the zone Build , but after adding only one folder, the program begun immediately burning my DVD !!! Shit, I lost a DVD ! But I will have to understand how your COMPLICATED mind present the program because I need to burn those files on DVD.

Well, I just did a backup and was gratified to see that my Russian-language filenames (e.g. Так что же нам делать?, Л.Н.Толстой) were echoed in UTF8. It was my first use of this utility, and I'm very, very impressed by its speed and power.

My field of practice before I retired was software human factors and, while I agree with you that this utility has an unusual and not especially intuitive interface, I didn't find it difficult to puzzle my way past the differences. Of course, my thirty years' engineering experience might have something to do with that; I'm sure it would feel more daunting to someone inexperienced.

But I think you have to admit that the base price is more than right: you need neither use it nor pay to find out you don't want to.

Are you perhaps not a native speaker of English? What you wrote seemed loaded with arrogance and hostility to me, and I'm sure you noticed that others here didn't seem to like it much, either. I'd prefer to think that's not the impression you intended to convey.

while I agree with you that this utility has an unusual and not especially intuitive interface

What's unusual about it?

and I'm sure you noticed that others here didn't seem to like it much, either

What gave it away? It was Shamus turn to take out the trash.

My field of practice before I retired was software human factors

What's that?

Edited by Altercuno

What's that?

Someone who sets themselves up as a consultant and gets paid a lot to look at others people's work and tell them what they think it should be instead of what the designer wanted it to be. :blink:

=))=))=))

Alot like a food critic. They can't cook for shit but they'll tell you what's wrong with everything placed in front of them. Opinions such as these should be given the contempt they deserve.

My field of practice before I retired was software human factors and, while I agree with you that this utility has an unusual and not especially intuitive

Not intuitive? The interface can't get much simpler. That said, this isn't a tool for beginners. It never was. If you want to be treated like an idiot, use Nero. If you have a higher expectation of what burning software should be like and what it can do, use this. Pretty simple really.

interface, I didn't find it difficult to puzzle my way past the differences. Of course, my thirty years' engineering experience might have something to do with that; I'm sure it would feel more daunting to someone inexperienced.

See above.

Being an expert means nothing here. The majority of the self-confessed experts who descend on this forum are halfwits who fail at even the basic level. Give me a beginner anyday as they usually listen to what they're being told rather than debate the obvious.

But I think you have to admit that the base price is more than right: you need neither use it nor pay to find out you don't want to.

True - but throwing a few dollars at the author will give you a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Are you perhaps not a native speaker of English?

It's Australian. It's alot like English but with less tolerance and more swearing.

What you wrote seemed loaded with arrogance and hostility to me,

I'm glad somebody recognized it for what it was.

and I'm sure you noticed that others here didn't seem to like it much, either. I'd prefer to think that's not the impression you intended to convey.

The opinions of those at the lower end of the gene pool (the aforementioned experts as well as the generic arsewipes who do nothing but complain) matter little to most everyone here. If you want the software equivalent of a frontal lobotomy, use Nero. If you wish to learn, this forum and it's regulars can and will help you. All you have to do is ask.

True - but throwing a few dollars at the author will give you a warm, fuzzy feeling.

I can vouch for that. I donated $30 and it did give me a nice warm and fuzzy feeling deep inside. I'm not sorry for a dime of it, and even wish I could give more.

The exchange rate is a killer though, as donations can only be made in $$$ (unless I missed something.)

Also, it seems PayPal charges higher than standard exchange rates. Its hard to tell cos they don't publish their rates.

Would it be better to add a few more currencies to PayPal - ie

i'm sure that server fees, forum software, domain fees, new drives, electricity are but a few of the things he could use any donations on ;)

thats without the fact he receives no wage for the hours invested in the programme...........

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone cares about the opinion of the great unwashed, but I implore you, do not ever give in to any temptations to dumb down the interface. It is an important element of what makes this such a great piece of software.

I'd also like to add my gratitude to the author for creating and making it available.

dennis

I think the main main thing here is people need to know,

ImgBurn isn't a tool for beginners.

I have to admit, as i first tried ImgBurn i was really really confused!

But, i did not complain and put my mind into work!

I wanted to find why people were letting down NERO for ImgBurn!

And to mention, i wanted to do the same!

Kill NERO!!!

Reading the guides here really helped me alot in understanding how LUK!'s app worked!

And for the rest, people give amazing support in here!

BEst in the Bizz!

I know the PC impaired ones like Nero for its "shareware" design....

But as i mention, people need to know that ImgBurn isn't a tool for beginners!

Once they'll know that, they'll stop complaining!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.