ImgBurn won't make me an .iso file

Steven_O

Thanks guys. Also, I closed the log window because I just assumed it would all be error free.

EDIT: I did a search for NTFS fixes, but then I figured you guys would know the best way. Any suggestions?

EDIT 2: BTW, I'm saving my files on an external hard drive.

Edited by Steven_O

Thanks guys. Also, I closed the log window because I just assumed it would all be error free.

If you think that, then closing your eyes while you drive is also a good idea because you can assume it'll drive itself :teehee:

Also, that folder content doesn't really... uh... it doesn't really look right. Is that a dual layer DVD you're ripping? You know ImgBurn isn't for ripping DVDs, right?

If you think that, then closing your eyes while you drive is also a good idea because you can assume it'll drive itself :teehee:

Also, that folder content doesn't really... uh... it doesn't really look right. Is that a dual layer DVD you're ripping? You know ImgBurn isn't for ripping DVDs, right?

I found ImgBurn on Lifehackers list of best dvd ripping programs, but if you know of a better program I'd love to try it.

EDIT: I did a search for NTFS fixes, but then I figured you guys would know the best way. Any suggestions?

NTFS is the fix, not the problem... FAT32 (which external hard disks tend to come preformatted as, for compatibility with Macs) doesn't support files that are more than 4gb each. So ImgBurn breaks up the .iso data and spreads it across as many files as it needs, and combines them using a .MDS file which you would then use to burn/mount/etc. instead of the ISO.

If you're gonna only use that hard drive on a PC (no writing on a Mac, no read/write ancient Win9x/ME PCs), you can "convert" the drive to NTFS using a simple procedure...

1) Start/Run

2) Type "cmd", click OK

3) At the prompt, type "convert J: /fs:ntfs" where "J:" is your external drive letter (as per your screenshot)

4) Sit back, relax, and watch the conversion, when it gets done you'll have a NTFS drive instead of FAT32! ;)

I found ImgBurn on Lifehackers list of best dvd ripping programs, but if you know of a better program I'd love to try it.

wat, that makes no sense. Okay, to be fair, ImgBurn can BURN DVDs (note the name! "ImgBurn"), but it can't even decrypt, let alone rip, a DVD. You need to use other software that's capable of ripping. You have AnyDVD installed and active which is the only reason ImgBurn is even allowing you to touch a retail DVD (AnyDVD decrypts on the fly and overlays your CD drive in Windows with a "virtual drive" so programs can re-encode directly from the disc without ripping). I'd suggest Googling around for a good DVD Rebuilder that can take care of your encoding process... then come back and let ImgBurn handle your burning ;)

But we don't talk about that stuff here... :innocent:

edit: *shoves 3 256-disc cases of burned DVDs under the bed*

Edited by Falcon

NTFS is the fix, not the problem... FAT32 (which external hard disks tend to come preformatted as, for compatibility with Macs) doesn't support files that are more than 4gb each. So ImgBurn breaks up the .iso data and spreads it across as many files as it needs, and combines them using a .MDS file which you would then use to burn/mount/etc. instead of the ISO.

If you're gonna only use that hard drive on a PC (no writing on a Mac, no read/write ancient Win9x/ME PCs), you can "convert" the drive to NTFS using a simple procedure...

1) Start/Run

2) Type "cmd", click OK

3) At the prompt, type "convert J: /fs:ntfs" where "J:" is your external drive letter (as per your screenshot)

4) Sit back, relax, and watch the conversion, when it gets done you'll have a NTFS drive instead of FAT32! ;)

Thanks a lot Falcon! This won't delete any files I have on there will it?

EDIT: Falcon, could you PM some more info on DVD ripping programs?

Edited by Steven_O

ImgBurn was not even in the list...

http://lifehacker.com/380702/five-best-dvd-ripping-tools

It's in this list 'Five Best CD and DVD Burning Tools'.

http://lifehacker.com/5100069/five-best-cd...d-burning-tools

ImgBurn was not even in the list...

http://lifehacker.com/380702/five-best-dvd-ripping-tools

It's in this list 'Five Best CD and DVD Burning Tools'.

http://lifehacker.com/5100069/five-best-cd...d-burning-tools

Yeah I just went back and checked to see why it was on the list and realized my mistake. I found it a while ago and today I had some free time to rip some of my collection.

No, if anything it'll allow you to put more information (metadata, compression, security, encryption) into your existing files. FAT32 is so limited in comparison it's hard to believe people still use it! :wacko:

Far as PMing you with more info, IDK, I don't even want to tread on thin ice as far as getting b& from this forum goes... any mods want to clarify that for me? :ph34r:

No, if anything it'll allow you to put more information (metadata, compression, security, encryption) into your existing files. FAT32 is so limited in comparison it's hard to believe people still use it! :wacko:

Far as PMing you with more info, IDK, I don't even want to tread on thin ice as far as getting b& from this forum goes... any mods want to clarify that for me? :ph34r:

That's fine I just looked at Lifehacker's five best ripping programs and realized I already had the #2 installed on my computer. So I'm guessing I just use HandBrake to do it's thing and then use ImgBurn to do the rest, right?

Edited by Steven_O

It's microscopic thin ice every time the term 'ripping' is mentioned.

Woops! I shall disappear from this thread, then. :blush:

OP, your "suggestion" is bolded in a reply above... Google it and ask nomore about r(edit:--rruuuhhh...odney!) here! :lol:

Edited by Falcon

1) Start/Run

2) Type "cmd", click OK

This is what happened when I did what you said. Do you know if i did something wrong?

15876n9.jpg

Ah, yet another reason of a laundry-list of reasons why FAT32 blows. It's so easily corrupted. It's telling you that it found a chunk of dead data laying around and wants you to tell it what to do with it. That usually happens when you accidentally unplug the drive without "safely removing" it shortly after writing something to it.

Just run "chkdsk j: /f" (in human words: check disk j: & fix it) and that'll fix it, then run convert again ;)

edit: also, doing Alt+PrtScrn will save you the trouble of cropping the screenshot, as it'll take a capture of the topmost window only ;)

Edited by Falcon

Ah, yet another reason of a laundry-list of reasons why FAT32 blows. It's so easily corrupted. It's telling you that it found a chunk of dead data laying around and wants you to tell it what to do with it. That usually happens when you accidentally unplug the drive without "safely removing" it shortly after writing something to it.

Just run "chkdsk j: /f" (in human words: check disk j: & fix it) and that'll fix it, then run convert again ;)

edit: also, doing Alt+PrtScrn will save you the trouble of cropping the screenshot, as it'll take a capture of the topmost window only ;)

Once again, thank you for your help Falcon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.