I/O Error

emeralds

on a one week old laptop. i was able to burn my first 3 discs sucessfully. these last 2 have given me this:

16h9s95.jpg

i'm not doing anything differently than i have from all my other burns. had no errors when ripping it through dvdfab or encoding through rebuilder. the last one got to 97% but i was able to keep hitting "continue" and "try again" and it completed. i read someone who had a similar issue most likely had a firmware problem. i'm on an hp dv7-1170 but am not sure which firmware would possibly be needed.

I 01:08:40 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 01:08:40 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 01:08:40 Total Physical Memory: 4,190,236 KB - Available: 2,559,052 KB

I 01:08:41 Initialising SPTI...

I 01:08:41 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 01:08:41 Found 1 DVD

but i really don't think that can be it. i know verbatim is regarded as better but i've burned on over a hundred of these discs in the last year.

Why ask for help and then debate the answer? Of those hundred disks you've burned, go grab a couple from six months ago and see how many fail to read in your PC. We make don't make this stuff up for the hell of it. Thousands before you have asked this very question. Hundreds before you have debated the same obvious answer. You can either learn from what you are told and get some decent media or ignore the suggestion and continue getting failures. In either case, this software has nothing to do with your problem.

they all play fine and some date as far back as 3 years. i don't think it's coincidence that i'm only just now having burn issues occuring at the exact same time that i finally change laptops. this is a brand new computer. has a blu ray drive. i don't know much but know enough that it has to be firmware or settings related.

The burn process relies on the burner/firmware/media combination; the software doesn't even come into it. If the burner/firmware is new, can you guess what problem could be?

they all play fine and some date as far back as 3 years.

Please read my comment again. I didn't ask if they played fine. I asked you to put some older disks into your PC drive and try to read them. Use this program to create an ISO file.

has a blu ray drive. i don't know much but know enough that it has to be firmware or settings related.

It is NOT settings related. This software (or any other burning software for that matter) has sweet fuck all to do with how good your disk burns. Just to clarify that statement...

"Fuck All"

All this program does is tell the drive what to do. It's then up to your drive and your media to do what it's told. If either of those fail, the drive reports an error which is then displayed in the ImgBurn log. A write error, for example, could be caused by the laser in your drive being unable to focus on the media correctly due to the cheap chemicals in the dye used in the manufacturing process. RITEK media has been garbage for the last 5 years and will continue to be garbage, regardless of how great you think they are.

i only said settings as i wasn't sure if my imgburn was up to date with the recent wave of blu ray drives. i figured there could be an issue with that. several years ago when i attempted to burn my first dvd i couldn't complete one until i updated my firmware. that's what i think it is. my computer is a d7-dv1170us. can you link me to which firmware i should have?

Those are drivers for the several devices that your laptop may have. What would help with your problem is an updated firmware for your burner, which isn't available on that list (in fact that list doesn't show updated firmware for any burner at all).

The easier option is to use higher quality media, such as Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden blanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.