Burning Dual-Layer

frunobulax

I was under the impression that ImgBurn would automatically calculate the layer break for a dual-layer DVD+R DL. I did a test burn this evening, and while the burn was reported as good, pcgedit didn't show me a standard layer break. Am I missing something really obvious here?

Thanks in advance!

Does it play? Does the flick continue after the LB or does the disk get hung up at the LB?

PgcEdit should show a non-seamless joint at the cell where the LB is.

Regards

How the layer break is calculated is dependant on the type of image you're burning, and which program (if any) invokes ImgBurn.

i.e. Burning an MDS will mean ImgBurn gets the LB info from the MDS directly - so LB is preserved.

With the latest PGCEdit, the LB info is passed via CLI. So if it gets it wrong, ImgBurn will do too.

With a standard DL image (ISO, IMG etc), you'll see info in the log if there is a problem calculating the LB position. Keep an eye on it. Try posting the log here too if you still have it.

The video I was burning is of an American football game I captured. I'm posting the pcgedit display here:

post-90-1128535836_thumb.jpg

I don't see a layer break indicated, but then perhaps I'm going about this all wrong...:unsure:

I used DVDLab Pro to create the DVD files (with four chapters, including the beginning), and DVD Shrink (without compression, of course) to produce the ISO file.

Edited by frunobulax

In that case, none of the cells were ok for layer breaks.

So that disc has a cell the spans it and may crash / jump more than normal at the layer switch.

You would have gotten a message in the log to that effect.

DVDLab Pro indicated also that there was no suitable point to place a layer break. I was told to place a chapter break in the acceptable zone and turn that into a layer break, but I didn't want a layer break that users could access as a chapter point. Any suggestions as to how to ensure an acceptable layer break zone?

Hi @ all

Today I created my first DL DVD using DVD Maestro. I set the layerbreak in Maestro (Sector 2.080.256) and used the Maestro Disk Image Creator to create the IMG.

Now i want to burn this image using ImgTool 1.0.0.0.

Do I just have to load the IMG file with the source button or should I create a MDS first using the Tools -> Create DVD MDS File function an load this MDS?

Should I set the Layer Break option to calculate optimal or should i enter the same sectors I used in Maestro?

Thx.

p.s. sorry for my bad english.

The LB info is contained in your IFOs. In particular, the PGC for the title has a cell that is marked as non-seamless. And that is at 2,080,256. So I would use the one which you have set.

Regards

To test if ImgBurn can find the layer break position properly, load the image up via the browse button or whatever.

Then right click on the value of the 'sectors' info in the source box.

You should get a context menu pop up mentioning something about layer breaks.

If I burn 1:1 on a DL disc. Is it still best to use DVD Decrypter or has there been changes so that IMGBurn would be better to burn the ISO?

I suspect it won't be any different to using Decrypter to burn when doing 1:1.

No, there's not. There is no need to completely fill layer 0, in fact it is quite desirable not to (edge of disk vulnerability and all that). Thus, you will see a "ring" at the end of the data. Layer 1 then writes back towards the middle.

The key is, does it play OK?

And is there any need to bump after 1 minute???

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.