Keep recieving PM's however nothing shows up?

GH0

So, I recieved a PM I guess yesterday from jurdreda. Well, I went to check it, but nothing is there. It says I have 1 New Message though.

Is this a normal issue or are the PM's I am getting spam and thus being deleted?

Yes they're spam and have been deleted.

I received the same type of e-mail today (twice!). I won't post the link it said to click on, but this was the message:

"jurdreda has sent you a new personal message titled "From Administrator".

You can read this personal message by following the link below:"

My policy is to never click on any link I receive in an e-mail. It's a good thing I checked my in box and saw "0 messages."

It has been dealt with now. All the PM's have been pruned from the database, the bot's accounts (5 in total) have been banned and I've black listed the IP.

A patch has been implemented which applies flood control to the PM system.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

OK. But, how did the spammer get our addresses to begin with???

check your 'My Controls'-> Email settings, to see if 'Send a notification email when I receive a new private message' is ticked, if so then remove the tick

the spammer doesn't have your address, its just a setting that can be turned on or off by each user, if the setting is ticked then an email will be sent to the addy you registered when you joined as a member, the spam bot can't see this email address, its just sent because the setting says so.

I extend my apologies to LIGHTNING UK! whom I bothered with a PM. I did not see this section of the board, else I would not have bothered him.

I received a PM notice but I never click any links in email so I typed in the url and logged in and so 0 PMs waiting.

I will make the change in my profile so I too do not get bothered.

Yeah I was PM'ed by the same guy. I knew the person was not an Administrator, only LUK! is (I believe). I received mine at 20:06 hours NZ time on Monday 13th (yesterday). And when I logged in 20 minutes ago, hello, no PM. Big thanks for removing it, LUK!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.