Using IMGburm to write at slow speeds.

daisuke

Hello,

Thanks for having this forum so we can ask questions that wont be answerd otherwise.

First off. i used to be able to write a slower speds like 1x or 2x even 2.4x This was with Xp64. right now im using windows 7 and everything works fine but the one thing i really need. Thats to write at 1x or 2x. the discs i have will write from 1x to 18x. I have 2 dvd +/- writers [internal] one is a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H62N CL00 and the other is TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L SB03. Currently the slowest speed i can get either to go is 4x.

What can i do to get IMGBurn to write slower then 4x?

Thanks for the help

Daisuke

Below i pasted some info from the device window as a reference. Along with the curent log output file info. since i just upgraded to 2.5.5 there is no log to be posted other then this .

I 20:41:08 ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 started!

I 20:41:08 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (6.1, Build 7600)

I 20:41:08 Total Physical Memory: 2,882,088 KB - Available: 990,940 KB

I 20:41:08 Initialising SPTI...

I 20:41:08 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:41:11 Found 2 DVD±RW/RAMs!

I 21:07:19 Close Request Acknowledged

I 21:07:19 Closing Down...

I 21:07:19 Shutting down SPTI...

I 21:07:19 ImgBurn closed!

Performance (Write Speeds):

Descriptor 1...

-> B0: 0x00, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00

-> EL: 2295103 (0x0023053F)

-> RS: 16,620 KB/s (12x) - WS: 5,540 KB/s (4x)

Descriptor 2...

-> RS: 16,620 KB/s (12x) - WS: 11,080 KB/s (8x)

Descriptor 3...

-> RS: 16,620 KB/s (12x) - WS: 16,620 KB/s (12x)

Descriptor 4...

-> RS: 16,620 KB/s (12x) - WS: 22,160 KB/s (16x)

Edited by daisuke

Hi and welcome tot the forum, daisuke! :)

ImgBurn is not the issue here.

It's the drives firmware that sets the limitation on how slow you can burn and with this media code you can only burn as slow as 4x.

I doubt you could burn slower with your other O/S. If you looked at the actual performed write speeds I do think they were always higher than the wanted write speed.

Curious. Why is it vital to burn at very slow speeds?

Hi and welcome tot the forum, daisuke! :)

ImgBurn is not the issue here.

It's the drives firmware that sets the limitation on how slow you can burn and with this media code you can only burn as slow as 4x.

I doubt you could burn slower with your other O/S. If you looked at the actual performed write speeds I do think they were always higher than the wanted write speed.

Curious. Why is it vital to burn at very slow speeds?

i have certain older devices that read at slower speeds still. as creating a data disc i like to burn slower speeds. the quality of the video is much greater and prevents skiping/stalling during playback

most portable dvd players dont read at mach1 like a cd player does. so slower is better.

the thing is i did firmware updates on the drives when disc read errors between 2 diff. windows operating systems occured to see if the updates would correct the issue.

changing out the firmware or even tweaking it is possible if done properly. It just that i dont know what i need to do inorder to tweak the settings to get the slower speeds. BUT they are crucial and needed.

i have also found the same problem on a hp external dvd writer that has not had any firmware updates.

I guess now that we want to write slower we are unable to. Which then creates another question.

When you have a DVD re-writable disc that requires the speed to be at 2.4x or 2.0x to write to the disc what would I do?

I have some old Verbatim RW discs that is only rated 1x speed and those are burnt in 1x speed.

It's all about what the firmware includes for write strategies.

Insert your RW discs and start ImgBurn in Write mode. You should be able to see the available write speeds then for those discs in the right panel of the programs window.

The slowest speed doesn't necessarily result in a better burn quality, especially on newer burners like the ones you have: they are better tuned for faster speeds. Have you considered that the reading problems you've had could be caused by low quality blanks?

By the way there's CL01 for your LG burner.

The slowest speed doesn't necessarily result in a better burn quality, especially on newer burners like the ones you have: they are better tuned for faster speeds. Have you considered that the reading problems you've had could be caused by low quality blanks?

By the way there's CL01 for your LG burner.

I use Sony DVDblanks, 100 at a time. They last on average, 2 months if i take it easy. Both burners are still good after having written a lot since they were new 2 or more years ago. if modifing the firmware is not possible then i will salvage a dvd burner i replaced with a bad one in a dvd recorder i have. it writes only 1x - 4z. swapping out a burner is the last thing i want to do.

Daisuke

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.