Can I do this?

DMiller

I have an iso file that is too large for a CD (it's about 730MB and will continue to grow). Can I just put a DVD blank into my DVD burner and write it, or does the iso file have to be 'different' to write to a DVD?

I have already tried several times to burn the image to a DVD and just keep getting errors, but I can't tell if that is just 'bad blanks' or if it just won't work.

The iso file contains data files, and was created using Bart Lagerweij's BCD.cmd 'program' ( http://www.nu2.nu/bcd/ ).

TIA,

Don

what errors ,what media, a log of the failed attempt would help

I ran it again to collect a log and the other info you asked for -- and this time it was successful! :blush: I think the other times must have been bad disks, my colleagues may have put used DVDs back onto the spindle. For the record, the previous imgburn attempts tonight wouldn't even start burning, the 'burn' button was grayed out. Roxio did start to record, but aborted immediately. The media is "Imation DVD+R 8x" (RicohJPN-R02). I've attached the log from the successful burn anyhow.

DonImgBurn_060406_2217.log

Glad to hear all went well RicohJpn has a good rep, dont know where you live but if its in the US Office Max is running a sale on Verbatim 16x +R and -R great price $15 for 50 I'll pick up 100 maybe 200 , boils down to .33cents apiece can't beat it :thumbup:

They aren't that cheap here either (what is ?) but like the Taiyo Yudens it's money well spent isn't it Ken ? :)

The biggest problem over this way (my opinion) is actually finding the damned things. Almost every media seller that I've seen in the last few years has crap like Princo, CMC, Longten etc stacked to the ceiling. I've given up finding Taiyo Yuden media anymore and am plodding along with Ritek G05s. Finding DL Verbatims was just dumb luck. :/

They aren't that cheap here either (what is ?) but like the Taiyo Yudens it's money well spent isn't it Ken ? :)

Yes it is LFC :) I find the +R Verbs with MCC dye far suprior to the yudens, the yuden -R's just didn't agree with my LG drive, the Verbs have been superb. ;)

The biggest problem over this way (my opinion) is actually finding the damned things. Almost every media seller that I've seen in the last few years has crap like Princo, CMC, Longten etc stacked to the ceiling. I've given up finding Taiyo Yuden media anymore and am plodding along with Ritek G05s. Finding DL Verbatims was just dumb luck. :/

Very true shamus, very few stores carry decent media, I managed to find one here in a suburb called Richmond, I'll see if I can grab their web site for you if you're interested.

I can't believe that TY's are as rare as rocking horse shit for you Shamus :( For fooks sake they are made just round the corner from Oz !! :lol:

Below is an example of the shit local stores have for sale. Needless to say, I don't shop here.

http://www.gamedude.com.au/static/prod_lis...condgroup=DVD_R

Very true shamus, very few stores carry decent media, I managed to find one here in a suburb called Richmond, I'll see if I can grab their web site for you if you're interested.

I know Richmond. (Well, I know of it anyway :P ). I'd appreciate the link. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.