Help for a newbie?

michael_maberly

Hi,

I'm completely new to ImgBurn, and am still not quite sure how to use it, despite having read the Guides. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful. Here's my situation:

I successfully ran a 2005 Sony DVD through DVDFABHDDecrypter, which saved it as a large number of .VOB, .BUP and .IFO files on my HD.

I then tried to process those files in DVDShrink, but only got 97% of the way through, when it gave me this error message:

"DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Programming error - exception occured."

I then downloaded ImgBurn, chose "write" mode, and pointed it to the DVDFAB folder on my HD, but received a message stating that those kinds of files require the "burn" mode, and that I'd better read the Guide on burn mode before proceeding. Unfortunately, I've no idea what the various file types are, nor where I really am in the burning process, so I'm unable to understand where my situation fits into the burn mode Guide directives. I assumed that ImgBurn would take the place of DVDShrink's function, but I could very well be wrong.

Which brings me back here. Anyone out there got a spare lifejacket?

Thanks!

- Michael

You need to use Build mode, for which you can find a guide in this post of the Guides section: ImgBurn Build Mode

Thanks, mmalves. I'd meant to write "Build" mode, but had written "burn" mode :blush:

The "Build mode" guide is full of references that I don't understand. Here are some of them - and some related questions - if anyone has the spare time to help me understand them:

ISO: ??

Output mode: will ImgBurn both compress/layer (?) the files and burn them to DVD if I select "save to DVD", or must this be done in two steps? If in two steps, how?

file system: man, I need help with this! I've no idea what determines which file system to use.

Create Layer Break Position: same here. All I know is that I used DVDFABHDDecrypter to create the HD files, and will be burning onto a DVD-R blank.

Media: "building to an ISO image rather than burning on the fly to a disc." I'm not sure which I'm actually doing (see second question)!

Single Layer profile: ???

Double Layer profile: ???

Restrictions: ???

Thanks for any help you care to send my way!

- Michael

ImgBurn doesn't perform any sort of compression/conversion, it's purely a burning program and whatever you tell it to burn will be burnt 'as-is'.

Basically, as with everything in ImgBurn, the default settings work best so just leave them all alone! There is another guide that explains the build mode ones in a little more detail. You can always use Google to figure out what certain technical terms might mean if you've not seen them before.

ImgBurn doesn't perform any sort of compression/conversion, it's purely a burning program and whatever you tell it to burn will be burnt 'as-is'.

Basically, as with everything in ImgBurn, the default settings work best so just leave them all alone! There is another guide that explains the build mode ones in a little more detail. You can always use Google to figure out what certain technical terms might mean if you've not seen them before.

Thanks, LIGHTNING. I wonder if you can set me straight, then: I used DVDFABHDDecrypter, which saved 7.2Gigs of .VOB, .BUP and .IFO files on my HD. The next step was to use DVDShrink, and then burn to DVD with Nero. However, DVDShrink reported that "program error", and couldn't complete its job. The folks at the DVDShrink forum recommended downloading ImgBurn, but didn't explain its function -- I mistakenly assumed it would do what DVDShrink normally does. If I want to burn to one DVD-R, I obviously need some compression or conversion program. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

- Michael

ImgBurn will burn your 7GB file to a Dual layer disc for you, however if you only want to use a single layer DV5 disc then its off to Google for the answers

DVDShrink compresses,and Imgburn only burns im afraid. with IB ,what goes in is what comes out

ImgBurn will burn your 7GB file to a Dual layer disc for you, however if you only want to use a single layer DV5 disc then its off to Google for the answers

DVDShrink compresses,and Imgburn only burns im afraid. with IB ,what goes in is what comes out

Thanks, volvofl10. I didn't even know that there were such things as 'dual layer' discs!

- Michael

Michael

thers 2 kinds of disc size ,

DV5 and

DV9

DV5 is a single layer disc holding around 4.35Gb of data ( its labeled as 4.7Gb but only holds 4.35GB) .

we recommend using taiyo yuden or Verbatim datalife plus for single layer -R format

DV9 is a dual layer disc holding around 8.14GBGb of data ( its labeled as 8.5Gb but only holds 8.14GB)

we recommend you only use verbatim +R ones though, the other brands and formats are not to clever

Your writer needs to be capable of burning DL (Dual layer) though. Most modern writers are capable of this.

Dual layer discs are slightly more expensive though.

to confuse it a little, theres several formats of the 2 sizes

+R , -R , RW , RAM , ect ect , and again it depends on what your writer is capable of writing .theres a nice little tool within ImgBurn that will tell you what your drive can and cannot do (make sure you select the correct drive in the "destination" box whilst in MODE > WRITE or MODE > BUILD modes)

TOOLS button > DRIVE button > CAPABILITYS

if your drive can burn both +R and -R then go for ones that your standalone player will handle ( google your dvd player model for its specs)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.