eject before retry option / burn second layer only option

Transient

I have a Pioneer DVR-108 and occasionally the burner will return an "Internal Target Failure" error when starting a layer on a DVD+R DL. The error will persist until the disc is ejected and loaded again.

If this error occurs while starting layer 0 it's not a big deal since I can just cancel, eject the media, and try again. If this error occurs while starting layer 1, then the disc is junk because I can't recover from the condition without ejecting (and the drive is locked until you press cancel).

As a result, I have two suggestions I hope can make it into a future version of ImgBurn:

1) cycle tray (eject/load) before retrying after an error (or maybe after the default number of retries has been attempted)

2) an option to only burn the second layer of a dual layer disc. This would be useful when the first layer succeeded but it couldn't target the second layer.

I realize this could be solved by using a more reliable media such as Verbatim, but that just isn't an economical choice where I live (the cost is more than double). So even with a 10% failure rate, the cheaper media is still better.

Thanks for considering my suggestions.

Yeah, well, that's not gonna happen because what you want isn't allowed by the hardware and/or the disc type standard.

You need a magician in order to turn crap into gold :unsure:

By the way, use a lens cleaning disc on your drive and check if it has the latest firmware. Maybe this can help with your garbage media :&

I realize this could be solved by using a more reliable media such as Verbatim, but that just isn't an economical choice where I live (the cost is more than double). So even with a 10% failure rate, the cheaper media is still better.

You might want to get an Ebay account. I found a fella in Michigan that charges a nominal fee to send Verbatim media to British Columbia. 100 (Singapore made) Verbatim DVD-R for C$40 + postage. It'd probably work out at something like 50 cents a disk by the time it's delivered to your door - and they'll work.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.