I/O error with Img Burn

musicdawg

I have been backing up movies for some time now. I have over 300 plus successfull burns using dvdfab, fixvts, dvdshrink, and img burn. However, tonight I ran into a problem. I tried to back up two movies and they seemed to write fine but when it gets to the verify it gives me an error! I have never gotten this before:

Here is log file from one of them:

ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 - Log

; Wednesday, 17 June 2009, 22:15:13

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 21:52:00 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 21:52:00 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 21:52:00 Total Physical Memory: 2,095,084 KB - Available: 1,542,212 KB

W 21:52:00 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 21:52:00 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:52:00 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:52:00 Found 1 DVD

I rebooted computer again this afternoon.....then unistalled imgburn and re-installed.....tried the movie again and you can see by the log below that it did burn and verify...but when I put the disc in my player and scan through the tracks it hangs up around track 18!

Previous post mentioned a disc cleaner which is a good idea....but I pretty comfortable with those sony disks.....I thought maybe because I was getting low on the spindle that maybe it had some bad disks at the bottom but I went and bought a new spindle last night.....

any more suggestions that I can try?

I 18:19:32 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 18:19:32 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 18:19:32 Total Physical Memory: 2,095,084 KB - Available: 1,470,976 KB

W 18:19:32 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 18:19:32 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:19:32 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:19:32 Found 1 DVD

Since it passed the verification the disc is the same as the ISO image. The problem could be in the source image or your DVD player doesn't like that disc or the job your burner did on burning that disc.

The burn process relies on the burner/firmware/media combination, so, can you guess what's the easiest way to solve burning problems?

Since it passed the verification the disc is the same as the ISO image. The problem could be in the source image or your DVD player doesn't like that disc or the job your burner did on burning that disc.

The burn process relies on the burner/firmware/media combination, so, can you guess what's the easiest way to solve burning problems?

I agree with your assessment 100%.....I viewed the ISO on my hard drive and it appears to be fine (doesn't hang up)....I do believe it is the buner but it is perplexing that sometimes it buns and verifies but isnt a good copy.....and then sometimes it will not even burn at all.....I haven't updated the firmware as of yet mainly because I am not that computer savy to know how......could you give me a point in the right direction as it pertains to firmware update....if that doesn't work then i guess i will look into a USB DVD Burner....any suggestions for that also????

oh yeah, i will try lens cleaner also!

thanks again!

Edited by musicdawg

Firmware updates, if there's any, should be available on the laptop's manufacturer website.

As for an external burner I think a Pioneer 116/117 (or 216/217) in an external enclosure of your choice would be the best option :)

And again...

I 18:46:00 Source Media Type: DVD+R (Book Type: DVD-ROM) (Disc ID: SONY-D21-00) (Speeds: 4x, 8x)

your opinion that...

but I pretty comfortable with those sony disks

isn't a valid point since your choice is iffy and mostly crap disc material.

Read and follow the davice given HERE and report back please. :thumbup:

I'm definitely open to trying new media and you guys are the experts, however I just found it very perplexing that I was able to copy hundreds of flawless disks with "my media" prior to this "virtually overnight" problem.

I will try to clean the lens and then try new media also.....just in case I ordered one of the Samsung external dvd writers on new egg....$60!

Update:

I cleaned the dvd drive with a lens cleaner as suggested in an earlier post and I also picked up some Verbatim -R's (they were out of +R's and I have never used -R's and I really dont know what the difference is but I decided to take a chance. Disc ID: MCC 03RG20). Anyway, I retried the movie I was having a problem with and it burned and verified without problem. Also, put it in my dvd player and skipped through the chapters without any problems also. (see log below). I also have burned a couple of other discs today without problems! I appreciate the help of everyone and I hope this did the trick! I do have a couple of other questions:

1) Notice that there are a couple of write errors in the log but the disk burned and verified fine. Anything I need to worry about there?

2) I have never used DVD -R's (only +R's). Any reason I should be or should not be using them?

3) Watching the burn process in IMG burn the write speed varied between .1 and 3 on this burn. Is that normal? Disc turned out ok but just curious!

You guys definitely know what you are talking about and EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO YOUR ADVICE!

11:33:27 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 11:33:27 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 11:33:27 Total Physical Memory: 2,095,084 KB - Available: 1,553,132 KB

W 11:33:27 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 11:33:27 Initialising SPTI...

I 11:33:27 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 11:33:27 Found 1 DVD

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.