IMG burn speeds

berdman

I previously posted this problem in an incorrect forum and I got a answer which seem to work, until yesterday....( I was told to go to I/O setting and check the READING-ALWAYS USE BUFFERED I/O ) .... .sooooo I'll start over.....I have two burners in my PC which I sometimes burn 2 different files at the same time ( with separate IDE cabels) using the IMG program, which was "running fine" until (seems like) I updated to 2.4.4.0, and then if I was using both burners, it then started to make one of the burners ( SONY DRU840 .. which I have an ULTRA ATA IDE CONTROLLER CARD to this burner and it worked fine for the last 4 mo's until I updated the IMG program).. burn @ 4.0 ( occasionally ) , even tho the burn speed was set @max. The other burner (SONY DRU 830)would always burn OK .Yesterday I was just burning one back-up using just one burner(840) and it maxed out @4.0 again( see log)......so it still isn't working properly.Today I did two more back-ups just to check it and it worked fine this time (see those logs) and the 840 actually got up 10+ burning at one point....so as you can see it works and it doesn't work properly..I've been using Verbatims #94854 for about 2 years with only maybe 3 coasters in that time period..... any help would be appreciated, Thanks again :unsure:

7-12-09 log

I 15:34:01 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 15:34:01 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 15:34:01 Total Physical Memory: 2,031,088 KB - Available: 1,200,452 KB

I 15:34:01 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:34:01 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:34:01 Found 2 DVD

I 15:34:39 Destination Device: [3:0:0] SONY DVD RW DRU-840A SS01 (E (SCSI)

I 15:34:39 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: MCC 02RG20) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x)

I 15:34:39 Write Speed: MAX

I 15:47:32 Average Write Rate: 5,344 KB/s (3.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,599 KB/s (4.0x)

Your drive either didn't understand the MAX write speed command or it blocked/changed by the IDE controller driver. Have you looked for a new driver for that controller?

There's also newer firmware for your DRU-830A burner.

Burn another one but press F8 (to enable I/O debug mode) just before you hit the 'Write' button. Feel free to use 'Test Mode' so you don't waste a disc.

Keep an eye on the buffer levels during the burn and tell me what you see. They should all be up around the 100% mark.

Once the burn has finished, save the log (via File -> Save As in the log window) to a file and then upload it in a reply.

Can you also please include the IBG file.

You might like to try burning one in Discovery mode as the data burnt to the disc in that one is all done in memory so no file buffering etc comes into play.

OK, I ran a test mode, buffer levels were 100% all the way....saved it and uploaded it...didn't see any IBG file...still kinda green at this stuff...so I might need more info. Thanks

Burn another one but press F8 (to enable I/O debug mode) just before you hit the 'Write' button. Feel free to use 'Test Mode' so you don't waste a disc.

Keep an eye on the buffer levels during the burn and tell me what you see. They should all be up around the 100% mark.

Once the burn has finished, save the log (via File -> Save As in the log window) to a file and then upload it in a reply.

Can you also please include the IBG file.

You might like to try burning one in Discovery mode as the data burnt to the disc in that one is all done in memory so no file buffering etc comes into play.

ImgBurn_7_13_09__test.log

You should've pressed F8 before clicking the Write button. Also you've used MCC 03RG20 (16x rated and 18x supported by your burner) media, while the problem you were having was with MCC 02RG20 (8x rated and 12x supported by your burner).

In case you haven't noticed it...

W 10:33:22 DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME) Not Supported! - Try updating your motherboard / controller drivers!!!

By the way, this line shown at the end of the burn tells you where the IBG file is:

I 10:38:26 Graph Data File: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\SONY_DVD_RW_DRU-840A_SS01_TUESDAY-JULY-14-2009_10-33_AM_MCC_03RG20_MAX.ibg

OK, it took several attempts but I finally got the slow burn while in the debug mode and I actually was able to burn a disc without making any coasters. First I'm going to try to answer the other questions I was asked.

1) as far as that mother-board warning it only seem to happen if I accidently opened too many programs with the same file and it never was a problem when burning, but I will try to find out how to up-date anyway , I did update my DRU-830.

(2) Here is the slow burn: attachment (1) test 21 rds 4x

(2) test discovery

(3) I couldn't open the ibg files, windows needed to what program created it and I tried IMG program but didn't work...so unable to attach

(4) the buffers were always full in all tests

That log also showed the disc burnt at the correct speed.

I really need an I/O debug enabled log of where it DOESN'T do that :)

ImgBurn_7_13_09__test_21_rds_burn_4x.log

ImgBurn_7_13_09__test_dicovery_burn.log

(3) I couldn't open the ibg files, windows needed to what program created it and I tried IMG program but didn't work...so unable to attach

I 14:22:07 Graph Data File: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\SONY_DVD_RW_DRU-840A_SS01_TUESDAY-JULY-14-2009_2-08_PM_MCC_02RG20_MAX.ibg

I 12:23:24 Graph Data File: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\SONY_DVD_RW_DRU-840A_SS01_TUESDAY-JULY-14-2009_12-15_PM_MCC_02RG20_MAX.ibg

You can attach those IBG files in your post ;)

By the way, Burnplot can show them to you too :thumbup:

OK, I hope this worked..see attachment

Thanks mmalves

I 14:22:07 Graph Data File: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\SONY_DVD_RW_DRU-840A_SS01_TUESDAY-JULY-14-2009_2-08_PM_MCC_02RG20_MAX.ibg

I 12:23:24 Graph Data File: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\SONY_DVD_RW_DRU-840A_SS01_TUESDAY-JULY-14-2009_12-15_PM_MCC_02RG20_MAX.ibg

You can attach those IBG files in your post ;)

By the way, Burnplot can show them to you too :thumbup:

SONY_DVD_RW_DRU_840A_SS01_TUESDAY_JULY_14_2009_2_08_PM_MCC_02RG20_MAX.ibg

OK, it took several attempts but I finally...

Unless it happens every time, it's unlikely to be related to the code in my program - after all, that doesn't change!

Your IBG shows the drive speeding up as you'd expect, then it dies and fixes at 4x.

It could have just hit something on the disc that it didn't like (or you have a faulty drive) and that's what caused the speed to jump back down. That's certainly not something I'm doing.

Try using 'Opti Drive Control' or DVDInfoPro to scan (PIPO or Disc Quality scan) the disc and see what the error rates are like.

OK...I know it isn't the drive because it was one first things I check ,even had it replaced and it did the same thing on both and I,ve been using these discs for 2/3 yrs with very good results only 2/3 coasters in that time period ( but I will try to check disc quality ) so I guess will also try to update IDE card and see if I can get this problem fixed. Thanks again for all your help and time.

OK, it took several attempts but I finally...

Unless it happens every time, it's unlikely to be related to the code in my program - after all, that doesn't change!

Your IBG shows the drive speeding up as you'd expect, then it dies and fixes at 4x.

It could have just hit something on the disc that it didn't like (or you have a faulty drive) and that's what caused the speed to jump back down. That's certainly not something I'm doing.

Try using 'Opti Drive Control' or DVDInfoPro to scan (PIPO or Disc Quality scan) the disc and see what the error rates are like.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.