Double Layer image burning issues

kaenshine

Hey guys. Read the FAQs, etc. Hope you can help me out.

So I got this Verbatim double layer and tried to burn an x360 image to it. Set speed at 2.4, imgburn starts writing, and I let it do its thing, but then it reaches 49% and it just sort of sits there. I'm sorry I don't have the log, I was dumb enough not to save it...fact is, I hit the cancel button, then waited, then I hit it again and the sob starts tellin me he heard me the first time :whistling: and nothing happened. Tried to fire up a firefox and nothing.. as far as I could tell there was no blinking light on the writer, and imgburn was apparently working at full buffer but the kb transfer was at a zero. So maybe I was a little quick to eject the dvd and hit the reset button, hope I didn't totally fuck it up... Then I looked around this forum, got me that sys info software, updated drivers for dvd-writer ( ASUS DRW-1814bl) and motherboard (ASUS AV8) and now it should work, right? :mellow: Must've been the drivers, right? Please tell me if I'm not doing something right, or anything else Ineed to do before I throw more 4 euro double layers out the window. Thanks!

alright here goes

ASUS DRW-1814BL 1.14 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 4,173,824

Free Space: 8,547,991,552 bytes

Free Time: 927:32:74 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x

DVD

Edited by kaenshine

Ok so the firmware is deffo the latest and the drive appears to be on a controller running in ide/sata mode (rather than ahci or raid).

Notice that the MKM-003-00 dye is supported at the following speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x

So even if you select 2.4x, it still won't burn at that speed and it'll use 4x instead.

Without burning a disc at each speed and scanning them in DVDInfoPro/Opti Drive Control, there's no real way to know which speed is the best one for your drive. Slower doesn't always equal better.

Make sure you verify when you burn.

ok thanx man..now I notice these blanks I bought are the 8x kind. I did verify, and after it burned, upon verifying, it gave me that No Seek Complete error. Anyway, thanks a bunch, I'll try some more. And congratulations on this great software, I see you're the author. Cheers.

Well, I figured I'd instead replace the optical drive, since from what I've read Asus isn't exactly the ideal drive to burn 360 backups. Question would be: what brand of writer would you recommend? One that would be ok for x360 backup writing @ ideal speeds, specifically.

LE: hmm now someone tells me it might be the disc, I need the dvd+r and these could be dvd-r, I dont have them here... could the disc be the cause of the verification error?

Edited by kaenshine

What you're burning (i.e. the content) makes no difference.

Either a drive can make a decent burn on DL media or it can't.

I've not looked at any scans for DL burns on Asus drives so it might be worth you checking out the cdfreaks forum first before you make any decisions (it might do a fantastic job!).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.