trouble creating bootable Windows 7rc dvd iso

skyrivet66

I am trying to create a bootable Windows 7rc dvd (ISO File). I have downloaded the file from Microsoft, 64 bit approximately 3.04 Gig. Then I use imgburn to turn it into an ISO file which seems to work well enough. At the end of the process it says that it is an ISO file. Next, I write the image file to a DVD. All seems to go as it should? Then I try to boot the computer using this dvd (I have set the boot sequence to use the CDDVD player as No. 1 boot device). It winds up but then goes for the hard drive to boot. Two DVD's used so far. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Log is as follows:

I 11:53:33 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 11:53:33 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 11:53:33 Total Physical Memory: 3,406,956 KB - Available: 2,873,740 KB

I 11:53:33 Initialising SPTI...

I 11:53:33 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 11:53:33 Found 1 DVD

Edited by skyrivet66

Burn the downloaded ISO file in Write mode, do not 'Build' a new one.

Can you give me a little walk through on this one. I did not realize the downloaded file was an ISO. The first burn i performed was straight from the downloaded file. It did not work. So, I thought maybe the file needed to be turned into an ISO. I performed a 'Create image from file/files' operation. when finished , I used this ISO and wrote it to the DVD.

What was the exact name of the file you downloaded? (including the file type / extension please)

Look in the Guides forum to find out how to burn an image (ISO etc) file.

Windows 7 RC 64-bit. When I pull up the file properties it says File Type: 'File'

Does the DVD have to be rewritable? or is DVD-R OK ?

That's not really what I meant.

When you download the RC from Microsoft it should come down with a file name like:

'7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso'

It's pretty obvious from that name that it's an ISO file.

You can use whatever type of DVD you like.

That's not really what I meant.

When you download the RC from Microsoft it should come down with a file name like:

'7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso'

It's pretty obvious from that name that it's an ISO file.

You can use whatever type of DVD you like.

Yes... It was something like what you have written there. I changed the name to win 7rc for ease of recognition. I do see what you mean though. OK. It was an ISO. Still I made two copies. One i did write straight from the downloaded file and the other I suppose I may have screwed up by 'buidling it.' Is there any way to test the DVD to see if I have on it what I need? I don't want to keep burning useless disks.

i have gone to the guide as you suggested and I read your instructions on the writing process. I'm good on that. If I write the program succesfully to the DVD, shoudn't I be able to view its contents by clicking the Icon in My computer? When I click open, it's just the file but no setup.exe or 'Run' etc. I have also shut off the virus program.

If you load the original ISO into write mode it'll say 'Bootable' in the source box, to the right of where it says 'File Sys:'.

Don't load the one you created in Build mode because that'll never work.

OK. Got it. Says bootable. I am writing now. Let you know. Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.