Can't create bootable disk for Win2K slipstreamed install

ARRRRGHH!

Okay, I feel better now. The really frustrating thing is, I did this about a year ago, using Imgburn! >_< Now? I'm making one coaster after another!

Okay, here's where I am. I have a legitimate OEM Win2K install disk, bought when I built a computer a few years ago. Okay, quite a few years ago.

Last year I created a slipstreamed (SP5) install disk. I set it up for unattended installation with the instruction file on a floppy, which allows me to put the Documents & Settings where it belongs, on the D drive. This disk works fine so apparently I had this figured out at one time!

NOW, I want to use the same slipstreamed build, only with the installation instructions (winsf.sif) on the CD, not on a floppy. This is so I can reinstall it on my laptop, which doesn't have a floppy. (It has a Win2K OEM COA, so no problem with licensing.) That part is easy - I have the file built and in the i386 folder, so it should be good to go.

However, I keep getting non-bootable CDs! When I try to boot, I get "Cannot boot from CD: Code 5" I can read these CDs in working computer, and ImgBurn reports it as bootable, but it don't work!

I know I"m missing some step, or setting something wrong. I have read the guides, the FAQs and searched the threads for answers, tried this and that and the other thing, and still can't get it right.

Can someone take pity on my ignorance and tell me step by step how to do this? I have the slipstreamed build - I just need to get from there to a bootable disk.

Oh, yeh: LOG!

I 18:12:43 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 18:12:43 Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195 : Service Pack 4)

I 18:12:43 Total Physical Memory: 261,600 KB - Available: 39,116 KB

I 18:12:43 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:12:43 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:12:44 Found 1 DVD

Edited by fracturedflickers

I 18:12:43 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 18:34:27 Destination Device: [1:0:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D 1.06 (E:) (ATA)

Update ImgBurn.

Use only ISO9660 + Joliet filesystems. Switch Output to Device and you can burn straight to media (no need to create an ISO fist).

By the way there's newer firmware available for your burner (remove any disc and close the tray before updating then reboot after it's finished).

SUCCESS! :D

I did update ImgBurn and the firmware, and changed the filesystem as recommended. My laptop is now happily waiting for me to install drivers. :thumbup:

Yes, I know I can slipstream those, too. That's for another day!

Thank you very much for your help! :)

While I still know what I'm doing (I think), I'm going to write up a how-to, so I don't have to bug you again next time. :lol:

Edited by fracturedflickers

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.