BD-RE - ERASE from CLI - query

MrPix

Hi,

What a fab piece of software!

I have a BD-RE and have searched to find the answer, but no luck.

I noticed on one post that LUK has stated something to the effect of "you only format a BD-RE once and after that the data is over written and that it is all handled automatically".

I use the command line as a small part of a batch script that runs each night, but have a question or 2.

1. I use the /ERASE tag in the batch script as seen below. Do I need it?

2. If the /ERASE command is run each time on the same disc, will it 'automatically' ignore of format it?

C:\progra~1\imgburn\imgburn.exe /NOIMAGEDETAILS /MODE build /BUILDMODE device /ERASE /ROOTFOLDER yes /SRC "F:\Daily Backup Folder\" /DEST "e:" /LOG "f:\backup_logs\DailyBackup_[DATETIME].log" /FILESYSTEM "ISO9660 + Joliet" /VOLUMELABEL "DailyBackup" /INCLUDEARCHIVEFILESONLY yes /CLEARARCHIVEATTRIBUTE yes /START /EJECT no /CLOSE

Thanks,

MrPix

What does the ReadMe.txt file say about the /ERASE switch? That might answer your question.

Thanks, I must admit that although I was pretty clear on the rest of the readme and that I had the script worked out soley from that, this is one thing that I could not get my head around as the explanation was unforgiving. I guess I should have mentioned this in my early post to avoid you getting on your high horse :whistling:, my apologies for putting you in that position.

/ERASE Used to automatically erase / format / overwrite media.

My query was really trying to understand whether the second time the daily disc was used (e.g. Monday's disc)... on next Monday.... would the 4 hour erase/Sector wipe session occur again... or does it overwrite the data without that.

I understand it does 'it' automatically, I'm just trying to factor the window required after the initial format/sector wipe the first time the disc is used and I'm afraid the readme was less than helpful in aiding my understanding and also whether I needed to use anyother switch after the initial first run on each disc such as /OVERWRITE.

I wasn't being as stupid as you try to make out. I appreciate you writing this great bit of software regardless of your misguided assumption that I have not bothered to RTFM!

Thanks again....

MrPix

Edited by MrPix

I wasn't on my high horse at all!

I thought the /erase switch just supressed the prompt to format/erase/overwrite the disc... nothing more, nothing less. (I don't have the file to hand - I'm on holiday!)

So it will do whatever the program think needs doing automatically and without prompting you. So if the disc is new it'll format it, otherwise it'll just overwrite. (For BD-RE media anyway)

I wasn't on my high horse at all!

I thought the /erase switch just supressed the prompt to format/erase/overwrite the disc... nothing more, nothing less. (I don't have the file to hand - I'm on holiday!)

So it will do whatever the program think needs doing automatically and without prompting you. So if the disc is new it'll format it, otherwise it'll just overwrite. (For BD-RE media anyway)

Thanks for the clarification LUK, just what I was after. Cheers again :)

Enjoy your holiday and thanks for taking the time to reply.

MrPix

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.