Is my Pioneer drive dead?

lifter

Hi, I used to record many stuff with my Pioneer DVR-112, but nowdays I'm experiencing several problems and losing lots of medias.

First of all, I'm using Ridata DL Medias, I'm not at home right now so I don't know the exact brand name but it is the DVD+R DL, I know they are not the best but I can't find Verbs where I live and I used to have a really good time with Ridata last days :P I always got good backups of my movies but last days some of my movies backups were not being recognized in my DVD Player, but they were recognized by the PC, after that, it got worse, the next 2 recordings received an I/O Error in the middle of the recording, again I'm not at home to display the certain error, but if it is necessary I may post later, its those kind of errors that mess up the recording in the middle, you try to "retry" but it just keep giving errors and then you give up :P

Then I tried once more (I must be an idiot to keep trying while I lose many medias), and I got an error that I recognized from another thread:

"Set L0 Data Zone Capacity Failed! - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error"

So I think my driver is dying, the weird thing is that it is not very old, I used it less than 100 times.

So, since you can't simulate DVD DL recordings I simulated some DVD R recordings and everything went right, but again, it's a simulation, and it is a DVD-R, so I dont know.

So, now that I displayed my problem, the rounds of questions :P

1. Is my DVD Driver really dying? I've read a post from Lightining UK about Power Calibration error and he said: "Clean the drive with a cleaning disc and try one of the other supported write speeds." I dont know whats a cleaning disc and I thought I should only use 2.4x to DVD DL :x

2. Is Pioneer DVR-118L a good driver? I'm thinking about purchasing it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the forum, lifter! :)

This is a cleaning disc.

MAXELL%20CD%20LENS%20CLEANER.jpg

The Pioneer DVD-118L is based on a new chip and it's still a new model. I would go for the earlier ones, like a 116 or 117.

Thanks!

I'm only able to find 118L at the moment, that's weird, gonna search more.

The same issue here. The 116/216 + 117/217 model seems to have vanished from the shops.

The 118 might be a nice burner, but it's the first model with that chip set and I've seen some mixed results. It's like cars - the first year of a new construction can be a joke.

Here are some test burns with that model.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/pioneer-dvr-2...-218xlv-279154/

Thanks for your support!

And yeah, mixed results :'(

But I gotta buy it anyways if I dont find the other models, better than staying without a recorder.

But what do you think about my actual drive? Eventhough it is old, I didn't use it a lot! The signals it is presenting, looks like dirty lens or dying lens? :P

Assuming you have ver 1.28 of the firmware installed?

100 burns is not very much. A cleaning disc might help. Skip the ones with video/music on them - they cost more than they taste.

The 118/218 model is still not out in my little village so I haven't tested it. I guess upcoming firmware versions might fix some issues.

Assuming you have ver 1.28 of the firmware installed?

100 burns is not very much. A cleaning disc might help. Skip the ones with video/music on them - they cost more than they taste.

The 118/218 model is still not out in my little village so I haven't tested it. I guess upcoming firmware versions might fix some issues.

My version is 1.24.

I could try a cleaning disc, the problem is that I'm tired of losing medias, each media is the equivalent of 3 dollars here.

And about updating, it envolves skills that I dont have, I heard its really easy to mess things up (damaging permanently), and that you need to connect the drive somewhere else...

I would say it's not very dangerous to flash a burner.

Make sure no disc in the tray

Tray closed

All relevant programs closed

Run the updater (.exe file) and hold your breath... :P

Then restart the computer.

Pick the one that is your model

http://www.firmwarehq.com/Pioneer/drives.html

Let me thank you again for the support.

But, I've used the recorder for quite a time with the 1.24 firmware.

Do you really think the firmware update may help me solve my actual problems?

The same question goes to the CD Cleaner. From your experience, since I'm tired of spending medias, I wanted to know if it is just something that "may help", or if people in the same situation as mine managed to revert it only by cleaning the drive or updating.

If its really useful, I'm going to search for it right away.

EDIT: Just updated the firmware, it is really simple.

Edited by lifter

Never hurts to have a cleaning disc. If you are brave, disassemble the drive (usually a few screws) and clean the lens with a cotton q tip and alcohol. Also, I want to mention I have a DRU-830A that's never been used once, but been in a computer for about a year (server was seeing drive as DVD-RAM drive and it wouldnt read any disc we put in it), and I cant get it to burn the first disc. Apparently, being unused isnt any better, if it has been installed for a while it has still had wear & tear.

Edited by jcumbie

Never hurts to have a cleaning disc. If you are brave, disassemble the drive (usually a few screws) and clean the lens with a cotton q tip and alcohol. Also, I want to mention I have a DRU-830A that's never been used once, but been in a computer for about a year (server was seeing drive as DVD-RAM drive and it wouldnt read any disc we put in it), and I cant get it to burn the first disc. Apparently, being unused isnt any better, if it has been installed for a while it has still had wear & tear.

Software is my area, I have 0 knowledge of hardware, dismounting stuff looks completely dangerous to me, I break things easily.

But about the cleaning discs, I've been searching for prices, and I noticed that it varies a lot. I found a Memorex that costs 20 dollars, so like, are there really differences? Better cleaning discs than others? I would love some recomendations.

Also, can I use a cleaning CD or it needs to be a cleaning DVD (or DVD DL, dunno)?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.