Burns Dual Layer with no errors: Nothing can read second layer however

icerage

Hey guys, I'm using imgburn 2.5 to burn Xbox 360 iso back-ups onto Verbatim 2.4x disks. I succeeded with Halo 3 ODST and it works in my modded Xbox. I tried with madden 2010 and NCAA 2010 but they do not work. Both games verify in abxg, I burn to disk using imgburn, it claims it runs sucessfully, then no device can read the second layer. I put it in the Xbox and it claims it is a dirty disk. I run it thru abxg on multiple computers and it gets to 49 percent and then says there is an unrecoverable read error. This makes me believe it is one of 2 problems:

-All readers I have tested the disk in have weak lasers: Unprobable as I have tested it in ~5 machines all with the same problem

OR

-My DVD burner gave out and cannot write to the second layer any more even though it did it successfully a couple days ago. The only problem with this theory is that imgburn does not pick up any errors during the burn, it says it completes successfully.

Anyone else having this problem? Is my burner bad?

Here is the imgburn verify session failing at the second layer (btw layer break is set to 1913760)

I 18:17:56 ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 started!

I 18:17:56 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition (6.1, Build 7600)

I 18:17:56 Total Physical Memory: 3,144,996 KB - Available: 2,204,512 KB

I 18:17:56 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:17:56 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:17:56 Found 1 DVD

I 18:18:14 Source Device: [0:0:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-7530B NX02 (F:) (ATA)

Try this firmware update for your burner (remove any disc and close the tray before updating then reboot after it's finished). You might also want to try cleaning the lens of your burner with a cotton bud and some alcohol or one of those CD/DVD lens cleaning disc kits.

I 18:18:14 Source Device: [0:0:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-7530B NX02 (F:) (ATA)

Try this firmware update for your burner (remove any disc and close the tray before updating then reboot after it's finished). You might also want to try cleaning the lens of your burner with a cotton bud and some alcohol or one of those CD/DVD lens cleaning disc kits.

Ok, I will try this solution, I'm wondering though....It doesn't seem like a firmware problem if my drive successfully burned a DL disk before then stopped working suddenly. It would have to be something mechanical with the drive or laser wouldn't you think?

Will edit with updated info

That's why firmware is upgradeable: to fix stuff. The latest firmware may improve support for burning that type of media. As for mechanical problems the drive would probably throw an error while it was burning, but dirt on the lens is very possible and that could cause a low burn quality, which in turn results in an unreadable disc.

Hey,

So I updated my drives firmware, and cleaned the drive's eye with a q-tip and some alcohol.

I burned another game, again the burn completed without any errors, I then ran a verify on the disk and it got to the second layer again and failed. This time it wasn't right at the layer break however. Below is the log for the write and verify.

I 21:35:53 ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 started!

I 21:35:53 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition (6.1, Build 7600)

I 21:35:53 Total Physical Memory: 3,144,996 KB - Available: 2,306,096 KB

I 21:35:53 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:35:53 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:35:53 Found 1 DVD

Where were your Verbatim blanks made? It's printed in the box/packaging/spindle. The ones made in India are said to be of lower quality than the ones made in Singapore.

You could try with the 8x Verbatim blanks to see if they work, or you should start looking for a new (non-slim external) burner :unsure:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.