BD iso create - folder to iso image on HD

sk11vengeance

Hi, Ive been trying to get a better speed from Imgburn when creating an iso image from a BD folder on the hard drive. Ive tried changing all the different settings in Imgburn such as the buffer settings and I/O type (ASPI/ASAPI) but I cant get any faster speeds than 180-200MB/sec average. Imgburn reports the max speed at the end of writing at 300mb/sec but I know my x4 WD 640gb blacks can do 400mb/sec writes in raid 0 on ICH10R. I have done all the disk benchmarks to see that myself such as ATTO and HDTune.

I 18:28:21 Image Application Identifier: ImgBurn v2.5.0.0

I 18:28:21 Image Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn

I 18:28:21 Image File System(s): UDF (2.50)

I 18:28:21 Destination File: J:\HD Movies\stn.iso

I 18:28:21 Destination Free Space: 2,023,732,678,656 Bytes (1,976,301,444 KB) (1,929,981 MB) (1,884 GB)

I 18:28:21 Destination File System: NTFS

I 18:28:21 File Splitting: Auto

I 18:28:21 Writing Image...

I 18:32:24 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:04:03

I 18:32:24 Average Write Rate: 180,802 KB/s (40.2x) - Maximum Write Rate: 319,399 KB/s (71.0x)

Overall theres no real problem with how Imgburn is writing the img to the HD, its just slower than it should be I believe. It completes in just over 4 minutes for a 45-50GB BD iso. Could it be the reported write rate is in error? I notice when I change the buffer size to a higher value that it slows down. Ideas anyone?

What do the buffers say when you're making the image?

Is it able to read the data quickly enough from your source drive? I assume these aren't the same 4x WD 640GB drives that are being used as the destination drive?

If its buffers are empty then I would say it's not. If its buffers are full then it can't write the data out quickly enough.

The buffers remain empty throughout the whole process even though I see an occasional flash of the bar. These are the same drives that are being used as the destination drive. They are the fastest drives in my system currently. When I turn the buffer down to 1mb like it is now I see the speeds im getting. If it goes over 40mb they decrease.

You do know that in those benchmarks a big chunk of zeroes (or random data) generated in memory is written to the HD being tested, right? It's done like this so that the "source" of data isn't a bottleneck for testing the destination's write speed, since memory is much faster than any HD.

ImgBurn, on the other hand, reads data from the source and writes to the destination as fast as your system can handle, and since you're reading and writing on the same volume, that's why it slows down a lot.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.