img burn crashing / not opening

iGecko

I did read all the faq's I could find and through this forum - unless I have missed a couple of bits but

1. I am not sure where the img burn log file is so if someone could instruct me to where this should be located as I have checked the c:\program files\imgburn directory but there are no log files there just a read me which I did read and the exe's themselves.

2. I get the error message as per screen grab that is attached whenever I try to launch img burn, have tried to install ASPI and go through all the faq's I can find, used ccleaner which found a load of dot net framework files - not sure if img burn requires dot net framework, I have sophos installed and have put the setup.exe and imgburn and the aspi installer in the exclusions list before installing and have rebooted and tried again and still the same, I did see a post reference upx here http://upx.sourceforge.net/

But have never used that and not sure what to do or how to use that - any tips / step by step instructions or anything ?

If someone can point out where this img burn log file is I will happily attach that as well.

I did find a tutorial on how to create a log using img burn but seeing as img burn will not even launch I can not create a log file unless someone can suggest an alternate method of creating one ?

post-31010-125559167795.png

Edited by iGecko

Extract upx.exe to the ImgBurn directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\ImgBurn)

Click 'Start' -> 'Run' (or press the 'Windows' key between the left 'Ctrl' and 'Alt' ones on your keyboard and the 'R' key)

Type 'cmd' and click 'OK'.

At the command prompt, type 'cd "\Program Files\ImgBurn"' and press return.

Then type 'upx -d imgburn.exe' and press return.

UPX should then decompress it.

Extract upx.exe to the ImgBurn directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\ImgBurn)

Click 'Start' -> 'Run' (or press the 'Windows' key between the left 'Ctrl' and 'Alt' ones on your keyboard and the 'R' key)

Type 'cmd' and click 'OK'.

At the command prompt, type 'cd "\Program Files\ImgBurn"' and press return.

Then type 'upx -d imgburn.exe' and press return.

UPX should then decompress it.

Cheers for that and the fast reply - is that normal now that you have to use UPX to extract the imgburn exe ?

No, having to decompress the exe isn't normal at all. For 99.9999% of people it works perfectly as-is.

There are probably a handful of issues like this on the forum where decompressing the UPX'd exe solves it - and that's in the entire time the program/board has been running (i.e. years).

It's probably just some dodgy program you've got installed on your PC that's blocking it. Typically it would be an over aggressive (and badly written) antivirus / spyware / malware program.

It could also be an actual virus that's tried to modify ImgBurn.exe and corrupted it.

No, having to decompress the exe isn't normal at all. For 99.9999% of people it works perfectly as-is.

There are probably a handful of issues like this on the forum where decompressing the UPX'd exe solves it - and that's in the entire time the program/board has been running (i.e. years).

It's probably just some dodgy program you've got installed on your PC that's blocking it. Typically it would be an over aggressive (and badly written) antivirus / spyware / malware program.

It could also be an actual virus that's tried to modify ImgBurn.exe and corrupted it.

Have had my pc re installed and updated to SP 2 and has sophos anti virus with updates to AV defintions and has had that re installed as well so not sure what it is but that worked perfectly thanks !!

Just curious what programming language do you use for imgburn / dvd decrypter ( obviously until that was stopped due to legalities )

Just wanted to say a huge thanks for your utils as they have always been top notch !

Edited by iGecko

CodeGear's C++ Builder 2007.

Whilst the un-UPX'd exe might run, if I were you I'd still look into why the normal one wouldn't.

I'd hate to think that a program on my machine is preventing other ones from running without telling me why!

any suggestions on how ?

Take a look through your add/remove programs bit and uninstall anything that's remotely related to the application types I mentioned above.

Assuming it then works ok, put them back on 1 by 1 until it stops working or they're all back on again (in which case it was just a messed up installation of one of them).

Take a look through your add/remove programs bit and uninstall anything that's remotely related to the application types I mentioned above.

Assuming it then works ok, put them back on 1 by 1 until it stops working or they're all back on again (in which case it was just a messed up installation of one of them).

sorry which application types - am confused

have got 2 installations of img burn

the un packed UPX version in the original directory ( c:\program files\imgburn ) and the 2nd normal installation which has not been un packed via upx in ( c:\program files\imgburn2 )

Edited by iGecko

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.