Creating a bootable disc...

Erik_Kyger

Now I have read several posts that touch on this item. Even requesting an improvement to be made. However, none really hit what I am experiencing right now, so I decided to start a new thread to see if I am going crazy or what.

Understand, if I have this all wrong, please flame me and correct me, but I am going insane trying to burn an .ISO, which is something I have been doing for like 2 years....

I have the most recent version of imgburn, so perhaps something was changed??

I have created several XP Pro discs, and several Vista discs in the past, but today I tried to make an XP disc and its a no go....

I have the files store on my server for easy access when I need to burn a new cd to use to boot my machines.

I normally select my directory, make it to an .ISO file, and then mount/burn the .ISO file to a cd/dvd and I'm good to go.

To I try this and I get a pop up that says this appears to be an OS, which should be bootable, please goto advanced and click make bootable. I do this and see a box that asks where the boot image is...

Now what I am trying to figure out is where did this come from? I have no boot image, I have files and folders. How was I able to burn bootable OS discs in the past without seeing this pop up? Is this something new in the release of imgburn? If so, why? It used to be automatic, why make it a pain?

Since I don't have the disc, lost that long ago, I have to search online for the boot sector files, and I am trying it that way.

But really what I want to know is what the heck happened? When did this change? Am I just crazy or wasn't it easier before? Is there some increased amount of customization/control that making this an option provides? Because to me it seems like a pain....

Thoughts, corrections, criticisms, etc. are all welcome, but I have to know if I am crazy or not here.

You're crazy.

If you've never touched the bootable disc tab before (and were burning raw files rather than an ISO) then your discs aren't bootable.

As of 2.5.0.0, ImgBurn catches the error where a user adds an I386 (or whatever) folder to the disc but doesn't fill out the bootable disc tab - and then tells them about the issue.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.