Question about device buffer/buffer size.

Nitrius

Just wondering, my device buffer tends to stay at 100%, dipping down to 80%+- sometimes while burning, though the buffer gradually goes down towards 0 as the burning process gets closer to finished, is this normal? And do you gain anything by upping the buffer size from 40MB to 512MB for example?

Edited by Nitrius

Hi and welcome to the forum, Nitrius! :)

Might be that you have the source file on your system disk (C:) and you or the system needs to access some other files and that makes the buffer drop a bit. If it just goes down to around 80% it sounds as no issue to be worried about.

At the end of the burn the buffers empties as there is nothing more to read from the hard disk and the buffer empties out to the disc you are burning.

I've tested to have it at 512MB and the only difference I could find was that it took longer time to start the burn, as there was more to fill in the buffer.

The device buffer is queried from the burner and can vary a lot depending on the burner. Can you post the log of a burn where that happened? Look in ImgBurn's Help menu.

The Device Buffer is fine, or it stays at 100% most of the time, its the other buffer am talking about, maybe its the imgburn buffer? Its the one above Device Buffer, it only says buffer, that's the one that slowly goes towards 0%. Though i had another burn, and it went down to 30% and then it gradually started to go up to about 50/55% before the burn was over. Anyway, if this is bad or not, i've had no problem with the cds/dvds i've burned, they seem to be working fine. I also tried a burn with the buffer size at 512, and then it stayed at around 98% the whole time.

Edited by Nitrius

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.