burning a single layer dvd on dl

cheetaa

i have these memorex dl that screw up when trying to write the second layer so i just started using them for the first layer. so anyways the past dvd5s i burned imgburn asked me if i would like to just put it all on the first layer instead of doing what is normally done(file split between 2 layers). i said yes and it worked perfectly. but now im trying to do the same thing but now imgburn is not asking me anymore if i want to put the file just on the first layer. can i do this manually or am i screwed if imgburn wont ask me anymore. i dont know what has changed i didnt change any of the imgburn options. i just burned using this method last night. ???

thanks

Edited by cheetaa

Had you used Memorex before for this type of operation? It's been said before, but, one of the things we check for for DL discs is what manufacturer/MID the disc has.

yes thats what i was trying to say in my first post. i just did this last night. i was thinking though maybe i have only done it when using vob files. this time it is an iso i am trying to do, i dont know if this could be it. but do you know of any way i can get it to write to the first layer only, instead of it trying to put 2 gigs on each layer rather than 4 on the first layer.

I can't say much else. I do remember years ago asking if a single layer burn can be made to a dual layer disc. I was told it can be done, but nothing else about it, sorry. My guess would be just burn the ISO as normal and only the first layer would be burned. However, I've never actually done this before.

I am wondering, though, why don't you use a cheaper single layer DVD recordable and save on the cost of using a dual layer disc? :)

I can't say much else. I do remember years ago asking if a single layer burn can be made to a dual layer disc. I was told it can be done, but nothing else about it, sorry. My guess would be just burn the ISO as normal and only the first layer would be burned. However, I've never actually done this before.

I am wondering, though, why don't you use a cheaper single layer DVD recordable and save on the cost of using a dual layer disc? :)

my uncle bought 3 15 packs of these memorex dls so i figured since i already have them i might as well get some use of them. and btw imgburn asked me like on like 5 of my recent burns if i wanted to just use the first layer to which i clicked ok and it worked.

I would guess so. Any of the forums with ImgBurn in their name should be checked by him. I know he doesn't check Chat too often, that's about all I can say. My guess would also be he does a check for new posts and takes a look at them.

My guess is that ImgBurn doesn't ask you because your ISO image is larger than 2086912 sectors, which is the size of the first layer of a DVD+R DL disc.

If you ISO image is larger than that number of sectors (ImgBurn tells you the number of sectors when you load an ISO image) then both layer need to be used in order to burn it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.