Windows 7 and burner issue

S.Paredes

Ok so I'm have a really really odd issue here. My drive takes FOREVER to recognize a disc when it has been inserted, in imgburn or out of it. It hangs at detecting drives if I have a disc in the drive and open up imgburn. If the drive is empty it detects the drive usually instantly. Then when it comes to inserting a disc it takes a good long time for it to get through "Logical Drive is in process of becoming ready". Sometimes it gets stuck completely. If I get that far and can click the burn button, it gives me this error.

2eoe06c.jpg

If I hit retry, it will continually give me the error and the percentage on the bottom right of the error will keep increasing. If I spam it enough, the drive will actually start to burn. It burns at normal speed and I've had nothing but successful burns so far. It's just really really annoying having to deal with this every time I want to burn something.

I've tried uninstalling the drive from device manager, deleting lower and upper filters (didn't have any to begin with), and updating the firmware. Nothing has helped.

There are no errors in the log at all so I'm not sure how much it will help. If needed I can post the log after my current burn is finished.

The drive is an NEC ND-3500A by the way. And the drive worked fine in windows xp, I just recently upgraded to windows 7 so I'm thinking that may be a contributing factor.

Edited by S.Paredes

The IDE controller where the burner is connected to is operating in RAID mode and that's something that can mess up communication with optical drives. Look for the latest driver for your IDE controller (use SIW to identify it) and also look in the system's BIOS if there's an option to make it work in normal mode.

Alternatively, you could use an IDE to USB adapter or maybe another computer with an IDE controller not in RAID mode to test if that error is really coming from the burner.

The IDE controller where the burner is connected to is operating in RAID mode and that's something that can mess up communication with optical drives. Look for the latest driver for your IDE controller (use SIW to identify it) and also look in the system's BIOS if there's an option to make it work in normal mode.

Alternatively, you could use an IDE to USB adapter or maybe another computer with an IDE controller not in RAID mode to test if that error is really coming from the burner.

I can't seem to find anything on how to change my IDE controller's settings. I tried getting SIW as you suggested and looking at my IDE controller but I'm not sure if it's giving me any relevant info I can use.

The controller will be listed in Hardware -> PCI, then all you need to do is Google the model's name to find its driver. In some cases (e.g. Marvell IDE controller) you might need to look in the motherboard's manufacturer website for the correct driver.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.