Burning an image as a data file

Mayhem99

Hello,

I have had a look at the FAQ and did a search but came up short.

Having small children, I make backup copies of our DVDs and I have found that my HDD is becoming quite full with .iso images of these DVDs. I had to delete a few recently and sure enough, two scratched discs and one with sticky stuff on them needed to be replaced. Fortunately, I had the copies of each that I made, which are now in use but I have had to make another backup of each one again.

What I want to be able to do is burn the iso image to a DVD but have it stay as an image file. The same way you can burn a mp3 file as data or music. This way, once I rip, compress and create the iso image, I can put it onto a DVD and stick it on a shelf and not have it taking up room on my HDD.

I am sure it is a simple thing to do but I couldn't figure it out looking at the menu options in ImageBurn v2.3.2.0.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Just add it into the source box in build mode and ignore the prompt about burning image files in write mode instead of build mode.

btw, update ImgBurn, your version is very old now.

Thank you. I have updated to the latest version.

I followed your instructions but I must be doing something wrong.

I added the .ISO file to the source box in build mode and selected my DVD-RW drive as the destination.

I ignored "you have selected 1 file and it looks like an image" by clicking Yes (i.e. not switching to write mode) and confirmed the image label.

I am then confronted with an error telling me that the file exceeds the ISO9660 size limit. It gives me 2 options:

1 - switch the file system to UDF

2 - enable allow files exceeding size limit

I don't know what the ramifications are and I would hate to choose one that will allow me to burn all my iso images to disc only to find I cannot create working DVDs from them at a later date

However, I note that the destination has changed from G: (my DVD-RW) to C:\Documents and Settings\<<my username>>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\<<image name.ISO>>

EDIT: I managed to sort the path out by switching to device output but the file size error still persists. I am unsure of which of the 2 options I should try (as I do not understand what they do).

I am somewhat confused and any enlightening is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Mayhem99

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.