INCOMPLETE BURN.............found problem. ( FYI)

Jim West Pa

First let me say Thank You to mmalves, Spinningwheel and LIGHTNIG UK for thier help and responses.

A few days back i posted that i was gettin incomplete burns.

I turns out that my problem, other than elcheapo discs was that my PCU was gittin hot.

I have had my pc apart a few times replacin my burner, cd/dvd-rom and both hard drives. In this process i had to take the PCU coolin fan out so i could fit my hands in there to work. In doin so i broke the 'seal' of the heat sink medium and caused it to dry out.This in turn causes the CPU to heat up after a few hours of use.Fortumately the burnin process fails BEFORE it writes anything and doesn't waste my disc. I shut it down, wait a few hours and git right back to it. I'm good for about 5 burns or 4-5 backups and 2-3 burns before the PCU heats up and i have to give my pc a break.

No i haven't done a temp check yet coz this pc is not on line for me to download the temp check software.

As soon as i can git some Arctic Silver 5 i will do the temp check, replace the medium and let ya'll know how things went.

Again, thanx mmalves, Spinngwheel and LIGHTNING UK for your responses, They were all educational for me.

Also, thank you ImgBurn webmaster and moderators for this wonderfull website.

Jim

MMmm.....i hope i posted this in the correct forum.

Edited for: Oh yeah, i also dropped the burn speed to 6x, it's the slowest one supported by the discs i'm usin.

Edited by Jim West Pa

CD and DVD burning is done at very low CPU overhead. This allows other CPU intensive programs to run in the background. For example, burning CDs at x40 speed on Celeron 1.7GHz requires less then 10% CPU overhead.

To take full advantage of high performance drives, burning is done using DMA mode.

On the other hand, if the drive is stuck in PIO mode and not DMA mode the CPU will be involved more. By looking at your posted log, DMA is enabled.

I 18:31:29 Destination Device: [1:0:0] HP DVD Writer 940d 3H23 (D:) (ATA)

I 18:31:29 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: RITEKF1) (Speeds: 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x)

I think more that your issue is "cheap" discs that can vary in quality in the same spindle/package. A bit of hit and miss.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.