ISO image not compatible with all OS'es

aritchie

Hi,

I am trying to make the switch to using imgburn instead of mkisofs but am hitting some problems with OS compatibility. The ISO image that I'm generating, when burnt to disk, is not displaying properly on all OS'es.

I need to produce an ISO which, when burnt to DVD, can be mounted and displayed correctly on the following OS'es

AIX, HP-UX, Linux, MacOSX, SolarisIntel, SolarisSparc, Windows

I had no problems when using 'mkisofs' with the options

-J (Generate Joliet directory information)

-l (Allow full 31 character filenames for ISO9660 names)

-r (Generate rationalized Rock Ridge directory information)

-duplicate-once (Optimize storage by encoding duplicate files once)

-allow-leading-dots (Allow ISO9660 filenames to start with '.' (violates ISO9660))

However, when using ImgBurn, and selecting "ISO9660 + Joliet" filesystems (no UDF as it's not a Video disc that I'm generating) with the following options

ISO9660

Level 2 - 31 Characters (also tried it with "Level X - 219 Characters)

ASCII Character Set

Allow More Than 8 Directory Levels

Allow Files Without Extensions

Joliet

Level 1 - 64 Characters

Allow Files Without Extensions

Tools->Settings->Build->Page 1

Optimise Duplicate Files

The resultant DVD, when automounted on a SolarisSparc system, displays all files and directories in lowercase. Joliet based OS'es (like Windows and MacOSX display fine). A 'mkisofs' generated DVD displays fine.

When looking at how Solaris has mounted the disk I can see the following

/vol/dev/dsk/c0t0d0/dvd /cdrom/dvd hsfs ro,nosuid,noglobal,maplcase,rr,traildot

What I think is the significant item here is the "rr" flag - indicated support for the Rock Ridge extensions. I think this cannot be enabled for ImgBurn.

Are there any options for selecting this support or should I be using other options in ImgBurn to achieve the same result?

I can provide the settings/project files I'm using if necessary.

Regards,

Andrew

Try with only UDF 1.02 and then you'll be able to tell upfront if the OS recognizes the disc or not. You might want to disable unicode support if you don't need it, as that ensures the most basic (and most compatible) UDF filesystem you can have.

To be honest, I'd be amazed is Solaris supports UDF when it doesn't appear to support Joliet.

Joliet is so close to ISO9660, it should be trivial for them to support it and then you wouldn't have the lowercase filename issue.

Then again, Joliet is a Microsoft thing really so why should Sun support it?! Perhaps UDF *will* work :)

If mkisofs is working ok for you, why not stick to it?

> To be honest, I'd be amazed is Solaris supports UDF when it doesn't appear to support Joliet.

I can get the disk to mount properly if I specify the "-o nomaplcase" switch. (Solaris does have a "-o Joliet" switch but when I used it, thhe mount command said it was ignoring it). What I'm trying to do is get the ImgBurn generated DVD to behave in the same way as a 'mkisofs' generated disk behaves in order that the "experience" for users is the same.

> If mkisofs is working ok for you, why not stick to it?

Unfortunately, our legal department is concerned that, because 'mkisofs' is covered by the Gnu Public License, there is a "possibility" that if it injects anything into the image (like Volume set info) then that "could" mean we have to make the source of anything packaged with that tool available with the tool. In order to be "risk free" they have advised us not to use it.

In ImgBurn, I thought that I had finally found a worthy successor without any restrictions and which supports the "duplicate-once" feature of 'mkisofs' (which we rely upon to avoid us having to ship more than one DVD).

It appears as though the behviour I am seeing on Solaris 8 is a know problem on Solaris 8 & 9 (as detailed on the following page)

http://woce.nodc.noaa.gov/wdiu/updates/mount_dvd.htm

I'm running a test with just a UDF file system.

Secondly, I noticed that on an HP-UX system, everything is displayed correctly but does have the ";1" text at the end of every file - which I believe I could remove using the appropriate ISO9660 option in ImgBurn. Interestingly, 'mkisofs' fares worse in that it not only displays files with the ';1' text at the end but also displays all names in uppercase only. (I think there are appropriate options in 'mkisofs' to address this - if I was allowed to use it :-().

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.