Problems when overclocked?

Lester Burnham

I previously posted about some problems I'd been having with imgburn, in this thread and was starting to wonder if my drive was going a bit funky.

Anyway, I recently upped the overclocking of my PC (not done by bus clock frequency upping, but predefined CPU overclock profiles in BIOS) to the highest amount (7% - 5% is the middle option, and 3% the lowest).

When overclocked by 7% I couldn't get imgburn to actually write a disk (it would lock up, and imgburn couldn't effectively be killed - even if the GUI disappeared, the process would still be active in task manager). File save / open dialogs would hang in windows, and shutdown or reboots would fail (probably due to the imgburn process not being able to be killed, which in turn is probably because the drive would not respond?). Shutting down the PC would require a physical power off (holding down the power button for 5 seconds).

Three blanks in a row failed like this. Previously I think I'd only used the 3% overclock profile, and had more occasional problems.

So I turned the overclocking off, disk burnt without problems.

So maybe that was my issue all along - perhaps the combination of drive and overclocking when using imgburn caused the DVD drive to lock up?

I'm going to leave overclocking turned off (probably permanently) and see how burning and reading stability goes.

BTW, cooling is not a problem, I monitor motherboard and CPU temps, and have additional cooling so it all runs OK. Overclocking isn't important to me, the extra cooling was added when I'd noticed that it ran a bit hot normally, when doing heavy processing type activities (video encoding, that sort of thing).

I have my Q9550 running at 3.4Ghz (OC'd manually) and I don't suffer any issues like that.

So whilst your setup might fall over when you attempt it, it's not a general thing.

I wasn't trying to imply that all overclock setups may have the same problem - just the reverse of that - I've seen occasional reporting of the very same problem I was having, and for people encountering that, it may be worth turning off any overclocking and testing.

Just as further feedback to this, since turning off all overclocking options, burning and verifying has been rock-solid for me.

I would have expected some drive lock-ups within that time, such that I would have had to power off the PC.

The drive is a SATA Samsung SH-223F drive, mobo is ASUS M2N68-CM, CPU is dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+.

Maybe it's a drive mobo combination that causes the lockups when overclocked? Maybe there's some other overclock options I've not selected that were causing the problem.

It would be interesting to hear if anybody else who's had the lock-up problems had any of these combinations?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.