new liteon drive - change booktype failed

pedro3845

ok so i have this new liteon iHAS424-98 model dvdrw, i also have an older model and have changed booktype on that drive in the past for dvd+r_dl with much success, but this new drive, i get to the booktype screen and select 'Drive (For DVD+R DL Media)' and it gives error: 'Unknown (FAILED!) Reason: InvalidField in CDB', and i cannot select DVD ROM in the new settings area as it is greyed out. i know about fw and i tried to update that but none available yet, also seeing as it is a newer drive maybe imgburn doesn't support it yet? can someone tell me why this doesn't work? do i need to use the bitsetting tool from liteon to do this, and can someone tell me how?

THANKS!

Your drive is a wolf in sheep clothes. It's a NEC based one and that's why the Lite-On tab doesn't work.

The iHAS424-98 is a rebadged Optiarc AD-7241S. It should perform similarly to the Optiarc it is based on.

The iHAS424-08 used a MediaTek chipset, whereas the iHAS424-98 uses an NEC chipset. One key difference is that while NEC chipset drives are excellent for doing quality testing of burned CDs, they are generally not as flexible or feature rich as MediaTek drives for testing burned DVDs.

Check the NEC forum for information on the AD-7240S and AD-7241S (the only difference between the 7240 and 7241 is that the 7241 has lightscribe).

http://club.myce.com/f44/got-ihas424-98-what-should-i-expect-302889/

Not sure you really need to change the book type in the book type function. Most modern drives automatically book type +R DL media to DVD-ROM by default. Have you tried to burn one and see what happens with the book type?

I have the the same drive in Optiarc version and that one book types +R DL media by default. It's a very nice drive.

ok, thanks for the reply, i checked a dvd+r_dl disc i burned and it says (Booktype: DVD+R DL), and i also noticed the auto setting of booktype was enabled in the imgburn settings. thanks for the info on NEC, i confirmed this while setting booktype and it worked under NEC booktype settings in imgburn!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.