Out of nowhere "Set L0 Data Zone Capacity Failed!"

kasperand

The "Set L0 Data Zone Capacity Failed!" error message comes out of nowhere when I try to burn Dual Layer discs.

I have burned 25 DL discs without a single problem on my macbook pro, and then one day the error message pops up.

Im using Verbatim DVD+R Dual Layer disc which I allways have because of the non coasters until now.

The software on the computer haven't been touch at all since the 25 disc's I successfully burned. Im running Windows XP with bootcamp but I also tried to burn a Dual Layer in MAC OSX which also failed twice.

I have got TWO 10 disc verbatim bundles and the problem started to appear when I had four disc left in the first bundle and the second bundle all the disc's seems to fail.

What I have been trying to resolve the problem:

I have been trying another laptop where I got 2 successfully burns but the third failed.

I have been trying a desktop where it failed at the first one.

I have been trying different images.

After the failed DL burn in MAC OSX I reinstalled everything Snow Leopard and Windows XP.

I have booted the OSX hardware test which came out good with no errors.

The Macbook pro superdrive have no problem reading the 25 sucessfully burned Dual Layer disc's.

Log:

I 00:50:31 ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 started!

I 00:50:31 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 00:50:31 Total Physical Memory: 2.079.216 KB - Available: 1.578.416 KB

W 00:50:31 Drive F:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 00:50:31 Initialising SPTI...

I 00:50:31 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 00:50:31 Found 1 DVD±RW!

I 00:54:30 Operation Started!

I 00:54:30 Source File: E:\XXXX\XXXX\XXXXXXXXXXX\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\XXXX.dvd

I 00:54:30 Source File Sectors: 3.827.488 (MODE1/2048)

I 00:54:30 Source File Size: 7.838.695.424 bytes

I 00:54:30 Source File Volume Identifier: DVD_ROM

I 00:54:30 Source File Volume Set Identifier: fd244000MS UDFBridge

I 00:54:30 Source File Application Identifier: CDIMAGE 2.45 (12/06/2000 TM)

I 00:54:30 Source File Implementation Identifier: Microsoft CDIMAGE UDF

I 00:54:30 Source File File System(s): ISO9660; UDF (1.50)

I 00:54:30 Destination Device: [0:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N AP09 (D:) (ATA)

I 00:54:30 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: MKM-003-00) (Speeds: 2,4x; 4x)

I 00:54:30 Destination Media Sectors: 4.173.824

I 00:54:30 Write Mode: DVD

I 00:54:30 Write Type: DAO

I 00:54:30 Write Speed: 2,4x

I 00:54:30 Link Size: Auto

I 00:54:30 Lock Volume: Yes

I 00:54:30 Test Mode: No

I 00:54:30 OPC: No

I 00:54:30 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 00:54:30 Book Type Setting: DVD-ROM

I 00:54:30 User Specified L0 Data Zone Capacity: 1.913.760

W 00:55:30 Set L0 Data Zone Capacity Failed! - Reason: Write Error

W 00:55:30 Retrying (1)...

E 00:55:34 Set L0 Data Zone Capacity Failed! - Reason: Invalid Field in Parameter List

E 00:55:34 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:01:04

I 00:55:34 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

The times I get this error message

E 00:55:34 Set L0 Data Zone Capacity Failed! - Reason: Invalid Field in Parameter List

It's because the burner don't like the discs or the combination of write speed and discs.

If you have burned the same discs at 2.4x before and that worked, it could be that laser head needs a cleaning with a cleaning disc. Another possibility is that the burner is broken.

4x write is also supported with that media, so that could be worth a try.

Have you tried to burn another image?

You can use Notepad to see the layer break value in E:\XXXX\XXXX\XXXXXXXXXXX\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\XXXX.dvd if there should be something odd there.

The times I get this error message

It's because the burner don't like the discs or the combination of write speed and discs.

If you have burned the same discs at 2.4x before and that worked, it could be that laser head needs a cleaning with a cleaning disc. Another possibility is that the burner is broken.

4x write is also supported with that media, so that could be worth a try.

Have you tried to burn another image?

You can use Notepad to see the layer break value in E:\XXXX\XXXX\XXXXXXXXXXX\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\XXXX.dvd if there should be something odd there.

I have burned 25 of the same discs at 2,4x which works perfectly and I have tried different images, but I also know theres nothing wrong with the images I try to burn.

No problems with layer break as you properly have guessed its a X360 game, and I have always set the layer break under the write options.

With all the things I have been trying to resolve the problem and that it came out of nowhere, I believe there's a problem with the Verbatims disc or the burner. But then again its 2 different 10 pack bundles and I got no problems before, so its properly the superdrive.

Assuming that the Verbatims are not from China I would try to clean the laser head.

If that also fails, replace the burner.

I have brought the Verbatims the usually place so no China-copy.

The laser in a macbook pro superdrive is not that easy to get to, but I got a service deal so I'm gonna call them, just wanted to be sure there wasn't any problem I had overlooked.

Did you read my topic at all?!

If you actually bothered to read that topic further than just the Verbatim word in the title you'd have seen this:

Before splashing out on new (better/more expensive) media, you might like to consider your options:

* Update the firmware on your drive.

* Try cleaning the drive with a cleaning disc (or if you're feeling confident, take it apart and clean it manually).

* Try burning your current media at all of the write speeds your drive says it supports for that MID (look in the disc info text on the right of the main screen to see what they are).

* Avoid using slimline laptop style drives - in general, they're rubbish.

* Buy a new drive that supports your current media better/properly (this is still going to be a bit hit and miss).

Did you read my topic at all?!

If you actually bothered to read that topic further than just the Verbatim word in the title you'd have seen this:

Before splashing out on new (better/more expensive) media, you might like to consider your options:

* Update the firmware on your drive.

* Try cleaning the drive with a cleaning disc (or if you're feeling confident, take it apart and clean it manually).

* Try burning your current media at all of the write speeds your drive says it supports for that MID (look in the disc info text on the right of the main screen to see what they are).

* Avoid using slimline laptop style drives - in general, they're rubbish.

* Buy a new drive that supports your current media better/properly (this is still going to be a bit hit and miss).

I read it before I made this thread...

* Update the firmware on your drive. The firmware is updated

* Try cleaning the drive with a cleaning disc (or if you're feeling confident, take it apart and clean it manually). not done

* Try burning your current media at all of the write speeds your drive says it supports for that MID (look in the disc info text on the right of the main screen to see what they are). done without luck

* Avoid using slimline laptop style drives - in general, they're rubbish. It worked perfectly before so no problem because its slimline

* Buy a new drive that supports your current media better/properly worked perfectly before

As stated in my first post I have tried everything "hint" therefore I made this thread.

The only thing I haven't tried is cleaning the drive which you don't start with, before you are sure its not a common problem that could be fixed in 2 sec.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.