can't reply, can't view profiles, can't even view my OWN prifle

taltamir

I just created an account. I can post new threads fine, but I can't reply to any thread anywhere, I always get: [#103133] You do not have permission to reply to this topic.

And if I try to view someone's profile I get: [#10245] You are not permitted to view member profiles.

Even if I try to view my OWN profile (by click on "my profile") I get the same error that I do not have permission to view profiles.

also, I can't seem to find the forum rules; usually its in a sticky thread. Usually when limiting posting ability the forum rules explain how it is limited.

EDIT: I don't get this error if I try to reply to this thread, I guess I do have permission to reply to threads I created.

Edited by taltamir

To avoid thread hijacking you need to have some posts before you can reply to other members thread. :)

1. is thread hijacking really such a big problem? it is pretty rare on every other forum I use.

2. it's difficult to get post count up without being allowed to reply.

3. it seems really easy to bypass (make a bunch of threads).

4. what about not having permission to see see my own profile?

Lots of questions for a brand new user...

Just the same way you think this forum is restrictive, one could say you're trying to lax our restrictions in order to make it easier to spam on our board. Just sayin'.

Lots of questions for a brand new user...

Just the same way you think this forum is restrictive, one could say you're trying to lax our restrictions in order to make it easier to spam on our board. Just sayin'.

now that is some grade A paranoia. [sarcasm]yes, you discovered my nefarious scheme! first, I convince admins to remove all restrictions, then I spam spam spam! MWHAHAHAHA[/sarcasm]

Seriously though, I didn't ask for restrictions to be lifted. I asked where I can find the rules, I asked why I can't view or edit my own profile, I pointed out it is easy to bypass. count the point, 1/4 of them were actually about post restriction. and I didn't even ask for it to be removed. as for "finding it restrictive"... more like I find it to be catch 22ish "you are not allowed to post until you have made posts". Typically I see the opposite restriction (you are not allowed to create threads until you have made 10 posts, you are allowed to make replies, you are also limited to certain subforums and X posts per day for the first X days)

What else am I gonna post? I was going to explain to someone the difference between DVD-R and DVD-ROM and maybe answer a few other questions. But I am not allowed to post until my postcount is high enough. And I have no questions about the software since I know how to read a guide/FAQ/manual. So I am kinda stuck here. Naturally "post padding" is a bad thing, so I am not going to do that. it could very well be years until I come up with enough suggestions and bug reports to have a high enough postcount to reply to threads I did not create myself.

I was hoping that someone could point me at the forum's rule thread (which I asked for) so I could find out if there is a subthread excempt from that limitation (there usually is) where I could discuss things (of genuine value, not just post padding) until my postcount is high enough to join the "big boys" forums.

Edited by taltamir

There are no posted forum rules. We trust people to have common sense when they post and based on experience from other forums, people don't read the rules.

Thread hijacking when people posted like - I have same problem can you help me - in a thread that had other hard ware and media codes and not the same issues as the thread hijacker. So it was a big problem that vanished over a night due to the new restrictions.

The other discussion we had was to use some days from the time you registered to that you could post, but I think it's more vital to post about the issue as soon as you have come to the forum.

If you want to join discussions in other threads, simple create a thread in the chat forum and say Hello and post some replies to that. 99% of the new members have a burning related issue and when that is solved/discussed they disappear again.

ah, the common sense rules. they work surprisingly well.

thanks for clarifying about the thread jacking. Now that I think about it, I recall seeing such cases before "hi there I have the same problem <describes completely different problem>"... its usually also mixed with thread necromancy :P.

True. Thread with x number of members with completely different media/burner issues just makes a thread very tricky to follow and reply in. Chaos is the common effect and if you just split out the new posters issue to a new thread - he can't find it and starts arguing why we just deleted his post.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.