boot image for vista recovery

ledzepploid

Hi,

After reading the windows 7 guide here, I noticed 'etfsboot.com' is the new alternative to setting nt loader as the boot image (as with xp). I have bcdw 1.50 booting the xp and windows 7 installations (thanks to the guide). However I'm having trouble booting the vista recovery files because there is no 'etfsboot.com' in any directory from the extracted iso.

Which file should I be pointing my bootcat.ini command at? For example, \vistarecovery\boot\filename.extension. If you are unfamiliar with bcdw, the file I need would be the same boot file you would point image burn to if you were to burn off just an iso containing the files of the vista recovery disc. Just which ever file is needed to get the boot manager going really.

Cheers

etfsboot.com exists on my Vista DVD's. If it's not there on yours them I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question.

I could Google it, but then I'm sure you're perfectly capable of doing that yourself!

Thanks for the response.

I had googled it, that's how I found this forum and image burn - I've now uninstalled nero and the like :).

The vista recovery image is 123,392kb in size. It is indeed bootable and inside the root\boot folder it has 3 files: bcd at 256kb, boot.sdi at 3,096kb and bootfix.bin.

In root\sources it has boot.wim at 119,106kb and in the root of the cd it has bootmgr at 325kb.

Thats all the files and folders it has.

If it's already bootable, why are you rebuilding it?

You could mount it and extract the boot image directly, then compare it to the (start) of the other files on the disc.

Chances are that it doesn't match any of them (and it doesn't have to).

If that's the case, I guess it's more like an XP install CD in that sense (i.e. the boot image isn't made up from a bit of one of the files)

If it's already bootable, why are you rebuilding it?

You could mount it and extract the boot image directly, then compare it to the (start) of the other files on the disc.

Chances are that it doesn't match any of them (and it doesn't have to).

If that's the case, I guess it's more like an XP install CD in that sense (i.e. the boot image isn't made up from a bit of one of the files)

Thanks I shall give that a go when I am back in work next week.

I am rebuilding it because I have been making a multi app and os cd so I have less to carry around with me to jobs and won't get caught out by a missing cd.

One thing that has just occurred to me is when I added apps such as Acronis imaging, I created a .wim file of the iso, placed that in the acronis folder and then pointed the bootcat.ini to that .wim file. So perhaps the answer lies in the .wim file in the sources folder.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.