How To Make A Bootable CD - Help Please ! !

amscerp

I need to update the firmware on my WD hard disk. There is a utility to do this available from WD Support, but has to be put on/run from a "formatted floppy". My laptop does not have floppy so I'm trying to make a bootable cd with the WD utility on in. Here is the WD support article: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...;p_sp=undefined

Here are the files that are supposed to be saved to a formatted floppy:

Autoexec.bat

command.com

dlglice.txt

ibmbio.com

ibmdos.com

wdupd020.exe

wdupd020.txt

Looks like I need to make a bootable (dos) cd with wdupd020.exe on it? How can I do this?

I have been searching for an answer to my problem for absolutley WEEKS and WEEKS now ! ! !

I have a little bit of sucess......... please see this forum thread:-

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10999

I have been pointed in the direction of using the Img Burn utility, which I have downloaded, Thanks.

However, for the life of me, I just cannot get it to do what I want it to do ! ! !

If you read the thread in the above forum you will see that I have a Toshiba Laptop. The person who I got it from had a BIOS password on it, which, after weeks of searching various other forums, I have managed to remove !

I can now access the BIOS, but I suspect that it is now corrupt somehow, because I cannot load any USB Devices, although I know the USB is working, because at boot up, the lights on my USB floppy light up, and then go out !

I have downloaded the Toshiba BIOS update, and tried it on another machine, and it works, PERFECTLY

It works if I try it through Windows XP, and it works if I extract the files to Floppy and run the USB Floppy Disk.

However, on the machine that I suspect has an out-of-date BIOS and it may even be corrupt, I cannot get the BIOS file to run.

The machine will only load up in Windows 98, and, although the BIOS file is supposed to run in 98, I get a

"Quote"

Failure Error DLL_detecChipset

"Unquote"

I have Googled this error, and get nothing except one site in German, that makes no sense !

After following the steps by a really good guy in the "www.boot-land-net" forums (Wongo-the-insane)

I have managed to get the files onto a CD-ROM CD Disk, except it is giving me yet another error !

OK........... so that is the scenario .......

The file I have downloaded fromToshiba is:-

bios-20070808110029.zip

This is the BIOS update for a Toshiba Equium A60 Laptop

Extract this file and I get:-

Osaka20V190.exe

Extract this file and I get:-

dbase.img

insydeflash.exe

iscflash.dll

iscflash.sys

iscflash.vxd

Platform.ini

UNICOWS.DLL

V190.ROM

If I follow the Toshiba instructions, and extract the .exe file to Floppy Disk, I get this;-

autoexec.bat

BIOS.ROM

COMMAND.COM

DOSFLASH.exe

DRVSPACE.BIN

IO.SYS

MSDOS.SYS

Readme.txt

The above 8 files actually work on the USB Floppy Disk on my other Toshiba, and it updates the BIOS, without any problems.

So......... my logic says that all I have to do, is to get these 8 files onto a Bootable CD and my Corrupt Toshiba BIOS should update !

Or, maybe I am being simplistic?

Anyway, I have tried using ImgBurn and I just cannot get a Bootable CD ? ? ? ! ! !

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

I think I can make a bootable disc image for you but I'll need this file:

bios-20070808110029.zip

Can you upload it to rapidshare or some other host and send the link?

Hi MMALVES

Blimey ! ! ! ! :innocent::thumbup::teehee::D:P

BRILLIANT AND THANKS

Link is here:-

1. Download Link: Click here to download file

http://rapidshare.com/files/373478127/bios-20070808110029.zip.html

THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS

Extract the ISO image from the attached ZIP archive and burn it to a CD-R/CD-RW (ensure the Verify option is enabled). It should boot and start the flasher automatically ;)

TOSHIBA_BIOS.zip

MMALVES

I dont know how you did it, but,it W O R K S :rolleyes:

Many Thanks

Geoff

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.