No booktype support for Pioneer DVR-218 series?

Bloodlust

I have recently purchased a DVR-S18L as I always burn 360 backups. My old pioneer DVR-215 used to do the job flawlessly for burning 360 games but recently I noticed that though the burns seem successful but the game doesn't seem to load. Repeated attempts resulted in more or less the same of it would just fail halfway through.

Ok, so I got the DVR-S18L and horror of horrors I found out that MCSE does not support auto bitsetting for this model because it's based on a newer QSI chipset.

And imgburn does not seem to support pioneer booktype settings. But thank heavens I came across this : http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=12018

In this guide you will see how Pioneer drives can book type +R and +RW single layer media. With official firmware only +R DL media will be book typed to 'DVD-ROM'.

Note 3: The Pioneer DVR-118L, DVR-A18L, DVR-A18LBK, DVR-A218L, A218LBK and DVR-218L series of drives will automatically set the book type to DVD-ROM on DVD +R/RW single layer media when using original firmware.

Are the above 2 points true for the DVR-218 series of drives? Thanks goodness if they are :)

As it's basically a LiteOn drive, try using that bitsetting tab. (You should have done your research before blindly buying another Pioneer ;) )

All of the 118 and 218 series are pretty much the same. If bitsetting behaves a certain way for one of the drives, it'll probably behave the same way for another one.

As it's basically a LiteOn drive, try using that bitsetting tab. (You should have done your research before blindly buying another Pioneer ;) )

All of the 118 and 218 series are pretty much the same. If bitsetting behaves a certain way for one of the drives, it'll probably behave the same way for another one.

Well, I was always a supporter of pioneer drives. From the 215 to 217 series it always had a patch which supports auto bitsetting so this was overlooked. I just hope the user who claimed that it supports auto booktype to DVD-ROM on SL media is really true.

I very much doubt the booktype has anything to do with your problems anyway.

Booktype is typically a make or break thing. Either the player doesn't support anything that's NOT booktyped to DVD-ROM or it does.

Your issue is probably to do with the 118 and 218 series of drives just being... erm... crap!

I'm sure Cynthia has done some tests with such a drive in the 'Drives' forum and I recall her saying the results weren't exactly great.

In this guide you will see how Pioneer drives can book type +R and +RW single layer media. With official firmware only +R DL media will be book typed to 'DVD-ROM'.

Note 3: The Pioneer DVR-118L, DVR-A18L, DVR-A18LBK, DVR-A218L, A218LBK and DVR-218L series of drives will automatically set the book type to DVD-ROM on DVD +R/RW single layer media when using original firmware.

Are the above 2 points true for the DVR-218 series of drives? Thanks goodness if they are :)

Note 3 is correct. :)

Did a chart of the Pioneer 118/218 and also the older 115/215 and 116/216 series with various media for another forum. Still not sure if my drive is a "bad" copy, as a guy in Stockholm can burn Verbatim +R DL discs with much better results than I can in the various offered speeds.

media_07.png

media_08.png

media_09.png

V = Verify error, W = Write error

http://www.sweburn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624

Note 3 is correct. :)

Did a chart of the Pioneer 118/218 and also the older 115/215 and 116/216 series with various media for another forum. Still not sure if my drive is a "bad" copy, as a guy in Stockholm can burn Verbatim +R DL discs with much better results than I can in the various offered speeds.

http://www.sweburn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624

Thanks, just burned a DVD in nero and it does auto bitset to dvd-rom. Will be getting another Liteon to replace both my 2.5-3 yrs old burners. :)

It definitely isn't a liteon clone as I tried the liteon booktype settings from imgburn. None of them worked (Sense error)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.