IMGburn will NOT recognize my external DVD Burner

IMG burner

Hi everyone,

IMGburn has been amazing for all the time I have spent with it, and after my laptop finally took its last breath, I bought a new Acer to replace it, which didn't include an Optical Drive already integrated (Net-book).

For some strange reason, this USB Plug-n-Play external Lite-ON DVD Writer (which works perfectly and is basically brand new) will PLAY movies and the Acer will recognize it as a DVD source, but I cannot load a blank DVD-RW into the drive to use IMGburn to burn my ISO files.

One odd thing that happened yesterday, as I was watching Avatar on DVD via my external DVD drive, I quickly put a non-copy-righted DVD into the drive to attempt ripping to ISO with IMGburn, and it worked flawlessly.

So why would IMGburn not recognize the external DVD-RW as a compatible drive to burn DVDs, but it will rip from Disc -> ISO perfectly?

- I tried several times "Search for new devises" to no avail

- I thought maybe the external DVD has a power saving mode and IMGburn can't recognize it unless it is in use, but I have also tested against that by making sure the drive is freshly loaded and becoming ready for use as I load IMGburn... but still no success.

PS: I did a hard-reset/complete factory reboot on this Netbook, so there are no viruses.

THANKS! smile.gif

Edited by IMG burner

PS: I read the 'Help' section here on the forum, but can't seem to find 'My Controls' anywhere in my profile or settings to set my notification settings to default/instant for any new responses; so I know as soon as anyone replies to a post I made. Thanks for any help.

I have one of those models and no issues here. :(

Can you do this:

Insert a blanc disc in the burner and switch to read mode in ImgBurn.

Copy the text info in the right window panel (disc info) and paste it into here?

- I thought maybe the external DVD has a power saving mode and IMGburn can't recognize it unless it is in use, but I have also tested against that by making sure the drive is freshly loaded and becoming ready for use as I load IMGburn... but still no success.

The only power thing that can be related is that you need to attach both USB connectors if the light lamp turns red when you only use one USB connector.

PS: I read the 'Help' section here on the forum, but can't seem to find 'My Controls' anywhere in my profile or settings to set my notification settings to default/instant for any new responses; so I know as soon as anyone replies to a post I made. Thanks for any help.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=forums

I have one of those models and no issues here. sad.gif

Can you do this:

Insert a blanc disc in the burner and switch to read mode in ImgBurn.

Copy the text info in the right window panel (disc info) and paste it into here?

Absolutely... I will do that this evening, I believe after work I can make time for this. Thanks a lot... switch to read mode with a blank DVD-R inserted, gotcha.

The only power thing that can be related is that you need to attach both USB connectors if the light lamp turns red when you only use one USB connector.

I have not noticed any type of red light blinking on the top of the burner, but how would I connect 2 USB cables to the burner in that case anyway? There is only one output on the drive? Thanks :)

I have not noticed any type of red light blinking on the top of the burner, but how would I connect 2 USB cables to the burner in that case anyway? There is only one output on the drive? Thanks :)

Aha. Mine had two, but it's a cheaper model.

WOW....... unreal. SIMPLY UNREAL!

I am looking at my Lite-ON DVD Rom right now, and it appears to only be a DVD Reader/Player, NOT a writer - which is VERY upsetting because it has caused me literally months of grief, and aggravation, and New Egg sent me the wrong device!

I am looking at the back, and it has the model number listed as: eTDU108-96 1

HA - WHAT A JOKE. I know for a FACT I am more than literate enough to purchase the correct drive from New Egg, and a slim line DVD reader wouldn't have cost $50 anyway... so it must have been a shipping mistake.

HULK MAD! SMASH NEW EGG! Haha... I guess things could be worse in life - at least now I can go find my invoice and see what it was I paid for, and in the future I know IMGburn is working fine! :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.